• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Poppadom fingers' in modern times

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would any test cricketer weather the inevitable Twitter storm if they used a term like 'poppadom fingers' to describe a cricketer of Indian origin today?

Backstory: Nasser Hussain was given the nickname by the Australians in around 2001 after breaking yet another finger. All in all he suffered finger breaks something like 5 times in his test career.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Would any test cricketer weather the inevitable Twitter storm if they used a term like 'poppadom fingers' to describe a cricketer of Indian origin today?

Backstory: Nasser Hussain was given the nickname by the Australians in around 2001 after breaking yet another finger. All in all he suffered finger breaks something like 5 times in his test career.
It'd be a thing for 2 or 3 days until everyone moved onto the next thing.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That would cause a storm? Causing someone poppadom fingers? ****, what a world we live in. But presumably if someone was a boomerang batsman, ie they went out and came straight back in, that would be fine?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's fair to say if SteveNZ isn't taking the opportunity to tip a bucket on an Australian team, then it really is a non-event

trundler

It's the sort of thing news outlets and right wingers wanting to spread hysteria about PC going mad would want to catch on but no actual thinking person would give a ****

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
It's the sort of thing news outlets and right wingers wanting to spread hysteria about PC going mad would want to catch on but no actual thinking person would give a ****
Claiming PC was "going mad" - hysterically or otherwise - isn't the exclusive domain of "news outlets" and "right wingers".

trundler

Never said it was but news outlets do manufacture outrage and sensationalise things for clicks, don't they? That's just a fact.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It's fair to say if SteveNZ isn't taking the opportunity to tip a bucket on an Australian team, then it really is a non-event
Haha cmon mate. The boomerang analogy was the first that came to mind.

It's the old argument that taking the piss out of an Asian accent is a no-go, but fiddly-dee potatoes is absolutely sweet.

If poppadom fingers is racist, then I might just press eject and move to a planet where it isn't. Seems like an ideal time to do that anyway.

Ps tell you what, if you'll let us play you again this summer under a widened trans-Tasman bubble, then I'll drop the anti-Aussie stuff forever.

Burgey

Tell you what would be awesome - India tours here for their 4-0 dusting then there's an old school triangular ODI & T20 series with them, NZ and Aus, followed by a similar series across the ditch in those conditions. Would be so ****ing good.

trundler

I've noticed you can get pretty much get away with doing racist parodies of Chinese people but not other Asians.

Have seen people on Facebook suggest that the bobs n vagene meme is racist for real though so you never know.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've noticed you can get pretty much get away with doing racist parodies of Chinese people but not other Asians.

Have seen people on Facebook suggest that the bobs n vagene meme is racist for real though so you never know.

i mean i know a lot of dumb aussie girls that think all indian guys are actually like that so it probably is a little racist