• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Placing our bets on "Test Cricket's Young Fab Four"

Which of these "Young Fabbies" will make it the biggest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stace

First Class Debutant
As I said before, Ballance> Root. Surprised to see so little mention of him in this thread. He's scored as heavily as Root in the last two series, except higher up the order.
I agree with you about Ballance I think he's exceptional, I think Root will be amongst the top 10 in the world in the future but Ballance will be the guy fighting for no.1 along with Pujara and KW.
Can somebody do a poll for future all-rounder, fast bowler and wicket-keeper? Would be interesting how many in total go all the way to no.1 from this exact point to compare them all.

Howsie

International Captain
Couldn't disagree with this more tbh........some players are just better suited to the middle order. Batting at 4, 5 or 6 does not necessarily mean you are an inferior batsmen to the guy's at 1, 2 and 3. I'd like to see you sell this argument to such notables as Lara, Sachin and Border et al to name just a few.

Moving Root up the order was one of the biggest mistakes (among many) that England have made this last year or so.........and it has nothing to do with the quality of him as a batsmen.
Of course it does. Unless your telling me that it was a coincidence and had nothing to do with his technique that he just happened to fail during his period up the order. Perhaps I'm wrong here but hasn't Root always been an opening batsman? It wasn't like he was a middle order batsman who was pushed up to do a job he's never done before.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
They'll be pretty late-summer pitches though, won't they? Every chance that they won't be as quick as people are thinking.

Spark

Global Moderator
They'll be pretty late-summer pitches though, won't they? Every chance that they won't be as quick as people are thinking.
Australian pitches aren't really known for slowing down IIRC. I definitely remember one or two February decks that were rapid by ODI standards

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but this will be March. They might not slow down but there might be some spin if they've been baked a wee bit.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I remember last time's WC. When Australia got beaten by India in the QFs, it was an insane moment for me, because I remembered the futility I had felt in the '03 Final. Ponting found himself in the same place Sachin had so many times, score a hundred, and watch the other team win with an overall better display.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was at the ground for that quarter final and tried my best to shut up anyone near me who booed Ponting at the presentation ceremony after the game. Made me so mad... especially after the fact that the crowd had applauded him graciously for his hundred. We're bad losers, but even worse winners.

Daemon

Also harsh should be infracted for using the word "Fabbies" in the poll question

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
sad to read all the posts still thinking Hughes would come good

really sucks how his test form waned after the initial 2 hundreds in his first series

Daemon

So what do you guys think about the fab four now?

Smith > Root > Kohli > Rahane for me.