• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick the next Aussie coach

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Arthur had a reasonably soft run to be fair, didn't he, until India away?

India at home (4-0 a good result but series win expected), WI away, SL at home...who else?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!

India at home (4-0 a good result but series win expected), WI away, SL at home...who else?
When did he take over from Nielsen? Who was coach during the SL and SA away series in 2011?

Top_Cat

Now ain't the time for fairness, this is outrage. Burn the witch!

Vinny definitely a blokey type. Any idea what his W/L was?

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
Arthur’s record really was worse. You think he’d have been anything other than an ongoing disaster if his conduct and lack of judgment hadn’t made his position untenable? Bloke decided to fight a decisive battle over a trivial issue. Even if you allow the principle was team discipline he picked a dumb battle to enforce it. As for other mild mannered types, Buchanan took to much credit for his good fortune in having a team that could coach itself. The reaction to Lehmann, and I’d say Langer, reveals a hidden but deep prejudice and snobbery in Australia for that type of character by the establishment. The sort of prejudice that kept uncouth types like Laurie Nash out of the side and attempted to typecast Warner as a T20 circus act. They are only ever used whenever a situation requires dirty work. They are also useful as scapegoats whenever things go wrong so they can be blamed for instituting a “toxic culture “. Then, blame apportioned, the establishment can continue without a word of censure against them.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He means post-captaincy. He did mellow out a lot by the end.
Tbf, I do wonder if that Ricky Ponting would return if he became a head coach with that sort of pressure on his shoulders. Even if the field is no longer his bullring.

I would really hope not, post-retirement Ricky is such a good bloke.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I can't recall any negative press for Gillespie. Some may even give him points for breaking Waugh's face. Is there any other more than very good player who has no bad press. I'm stuck!

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
loving the frequent use of the word 'untenable' over the past few days. word of the week!

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
His tenure at Yorkshire speaks for itself, promoted then winning back-to-back championships (and coming within a whisker of a third).

Spark

Global Moderator
Arthur’s record really was worse. You think he’d have been anything other than an ongoing disaster if his conduct and lack of judgment hadn’t made his position untenable? Bloke decided to fight a decisive battle over a trivial issue. Even if you allow the principle was team discipline he picked a dumb battle to enforce it. As for other mild mannered types, Buchanan took to much credit for his good fortune in having a team that could coach itself. The reaction to Lehmann, and I’d say Langer, reveals a hidden but deep prejudice and snobbery in Australia for that type of character by the establishment. The sort of prejudice that kept uncouth types like Laurie Nash out of the side and attempted to typecast Warner as a T20 circus act. They are only ever used whenever a situation requires dirty work. They are also useful as scapegoats whenever things go wrong so they can be blamed for instituting a “toxic culture “. Then, blame apportioned, the establishment can continue without a word of censure against them.
The idea that Australian cricket has some inbuilt snobbery against people who are too blokey and too "one of the boys" is one of the most thinly-supported assertions I've heard all week

flibbertyjibber

His tenure at Yorkshire speaks for itself, promoted then winning back-to-back championships (and coming within a whisker of a third).
With a bunch of unproven kids as well at the time. Many of whom went on to play for England with varying degrees of success.

Spikey

mate Parra haven't lost the grade final yet. There's no need to appeal it to CA

Last edited: