• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Phillip Hughes CW support banner at Melbourne and Sydney Test match

Where should the left over money be donated?

• Other (Please List)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's a great idea Dan. I've counted the following 19 posters who have confirmed they wish to donate. So if we just do the the flag ($102 +$10 postage) it's $5.90 each. Shall we say that $6 is the minimum donation each but if anyone wants to donate more we will send the remaining balance to a related charity? That way we can still keep adding to this list if more people want to get involved........

Adders
Burgey
Spikey
GIMH
Ajude
Spark
Howardj
Morgieb
El Nino
James
Dontcloseyoureyes
Jan
Daemon
Howe_Zat
Dan
Neil Pickup
Stapel
Tom Halsey

New donators (will update this post as more people stick their hands up)

Wiff
Cabinet96
BackFootPunch
strawman
Hendrix
Nate

The Pay Pal address for donations is cricketweb@gmail.com........BUT PLEASE DON'T SEND ANY FUNDS YET!!! Until we get volunteers going to the tests to hang the flag then this is still far from a done thing.
Add me to the donation list mate.

If the cost is cheaper than originally anticipated, would it not be the worst idea to say have 2/3 made for each of Adelaide, Sydney & Melbourne? It might save the worry of shipping one banner around the country, and given the overwhelming support displayed, would it be out of the question that the banner could be put up at a couple of the World Cup matches as well?

cnerd123

likes this
IDK about the World Cup.

The point is to send out CW's condolences for Phil's passing, and possibly then to pass the flag/banner to his family.

If we place it at every international match this summer, it might start to get annoying. It won't help the players get over it any quicker either.

It's okay to pay tribute to Phil, but we don't want to overdo it.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When I first heard of the news 3 days ago, I kinda felt queasy, but I honestly didn't expect it to happen. I always thought that we'd see him walking out after a week or so and things would go back to normal. But call me emotionless or whatever, I still wasn't half as affected by it as some people have been.

Reading CW, especially the support in this thread really, really touched and moved me though and for some reason I feel like I'm able to relate more to Hughes through the tributes and it's making me even sadder.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I never quite realized just how much this passion for the game can bring the entire cricket community together, it's really heartening.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
IDK about the World Cup.

The point is to send out CW's condolences for Phil's passing, and possibly then to pass the flag/banner to his family.

If we place it at every international match this summer, it might start to get annoying. It won't help the players get over it any quicker either.

It's okay to pay tribute to Phil, but we don't want to overdo it.
I'm not a psychologist but I can safely say nobody will be annoyed by them.

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
When it will be possible, I'd like to contribute to the Phillip banner aswell.

Another thing, could we do something similar for Abbott? Maybe with just a simple banner for a Shield Game, something like 'Stay strong mate, we're with you', even if he's not playing, to show him that the international cricket community is close to him. Is there anyone from Sydney interested?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Count me in.

How about also including Abbott in the message? He needs every bit as much comforting as Hughes' friends and family I reckon.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
How about also including Abbott in the message? He needs every bit as much comforting as Hughes' friends and family I reckon.
No, don't. I don't think we should. I think the less mentioned about that the better. Just my opinion, but I don't feel it's appropriate.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Hi Guy's,

James and I were talking and thought we'd leave it a couple of days and let everyone collect their thoughts before we put this idea back on the table. Clearly there is still an overwhelming support to do this and I am certainly keen for making it happen.........I also think it is an excellent idea to do a separate one for Abbott and we definitely have enough donators to make that happen.

I'd also just like to reiterate what Daemon posted.........the genuine support and grief that has been shown on this board throughout this horrible time has touched me beyond belief.

Wiff - mate, when you get a chance do you think you could change the wording on your banner to simply "The Prince - 63*", and also if you are up for it seeing what your talents can come up with for one for Sean Abbott......wording along the lines of "Stay strong mate, we're all with you"

If you need help with images of Abbott sing out and we'll get onto it.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
No, don't. I don't think we should. I think the less mentioned about that the better. Just my opinion, but I don't feel it's appropriate.
I think as we agreed it would be crass to include Abbott on the Hughes banner........but see no issue with doing a seperate one for him and I think it is important that we do.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think as we agreed it would be crass to include Abbott on the Hughes banner........but see no issue with doing a seperate one for him and I think it is important that we do.
Agree with this. Need to get behind him. Poor guy must be going through hell through no fault of his own.

Count me in for a donation too.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I wont be online until later this afternoon as I have to go out most of today. Keep posting your thoughts in this regard and we'll work out what we are going to do.