• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Peter Roebuck

Chubb

International Regular
That's right, they'd come over for coaching, and he beat their backsides with a cricket bat or a cane for underperforming.

archie mac

International Coach
superkingdave said:
erm he pleaded guilty to 3 charges of common assault involving 3 SA teenagers, and was given a 12 month suspended jail sentence.
I think you should read his biography, I thought the whole thing a real beat up, I am sure he would have won that case, but did not want it dragging on, so made a deal.

Explain what that has to do with his Cricket writing?
It is completly irrelevant, to the claim against the bowlers action.

The oringinal poster, I think wrote this in the heat of the moment, and was happy to move on, which is what I think we should do. :)

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
The feeble tosser makes me ashamed to exist here..
Isn't that a bit harsh??
I don't hate Roebuck, or particularly like him. I dislike his writing... he tends to write in flowery language and dress things up so he seems like he's some sort of literary genius.
However, I don't mind his commentary...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
archie mac said:
I think you should read his biography, I thought the whole thing a real beat up, I am sure he would have won that case, but did not want it dragging on, so made a deal.

Explain what that has to do with his Cricket writing?
It is completly irrelevant, to the claim against the bowlers action.

The oringinal poster, I think wrote this in the heat of the moment, and was happy to move on, which is what I think we should do. :)
Correct.

Entire episode was related to the situation at Somerset with axing of Viv, etc.

Funny how the Poms werent bleating when he suggested Lee be banned for bowling beamers.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
social said:
Correct.

Entire episode was related to the situation at Somerset with axing of Viv, etc.

Funny how the Poms werent bleating when he suggested Lee be banned for bowling beamers.
To be fair, some of us on here were backing Lee.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
King_Ponting said:
If u want to pay....... from the sydney morning herald page.
I don't need to pay - just register.

Are some people suggesting Peter Roebuck is cricket's answer to Stephen Jones? If so, here's a thought: both are oxygen thieves.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Dasa said:
Isn't that a bit harsh??
I don't hate Roebuck, or particularly like him. I dislike his writing... he tends to write in flowery language and dress things up so he seems like he's some sort of literary genius.
However, I don't mind his commentary...
Nah, its the whole child beating element.. Couldn't give a toss what he says (which is dross usually as well)

shaka

International Regular
Langeveldt, did you watch Letterman the other day? they had Kristin Davis on the show. I know it has nothing to do with Peter Roebuck discussion.

Langeveldt

Soutie
shaka said:
Langeveldt, did you watch Letterman the other day? they had Kristin Davis on the show. I know it has nothing to do with Peter Roebuck discussion.
No!? What channel is Letterman on, HBO?

Wow, missed out there :-O :@

howardj

International Coach
Is it just me, or does Roebuck every time he writes these days, just make out as though the end is nigh for cricket? He's at it again today.

Love the closing paragraph:

The snouts have been in the trough. They are destroying the game. Test cricket needs to regain its primacy. Speed chess is nothing without the longer version. A great deal of work will be needed or the game is up.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Is it just me, or does Roebuck every time he writes these days, just make out as though the end is nigh for cricket? He's at it again today.

Love the closing paragraph:

The snouts have been in the trough. They are destroying the game. Test cricket needs to regain its primacy. Speed chess is nothing without the longer version. A great deal of work will be needed or the game is up.
Have agreed with pretty much everything he has said recently.. Perhaps thats because I think the game is up as well, having just sat through SA v Bangladesh and a NZ side that two games of real cricket a season

If you have a look at the points in his article, there isn't much that is wrong per se..

I was quite an opinionated little madam three years ago wasn't I?!

That said, he is still a **** of note though..

Last edited:

krkode

State Captain
I do agree he tends to be a little over dramatic at times but I sort of agree with the general sentiment he expressed in that article. The gap between "good" and "average" sides has indeed widened and it is most obvious in test cricket. This makes test cricket between these uneven and mismatched sides predictable and ultimately boring. How do we fix it? Honestly, I'm not sure. One thing is for sure, if NZ and Australia want to have a match off, and people want the cricket to be "exciting" then they can't really be playing test cricket because there is, unfortunately, only one realistic result from a NZ-Aus matchup in tests. The same goes for Bangladesh-SA, Zim-SL and some of the other farcical matchups of late.

Sadly, this seems to point more and more in the favor of ODIs and 20-20. Because if you want to have meaningful test cricket, there's really a very limited number of combinations one can set forth at the moment.

bagapath

International Captain
I liked it when he admitted he was wrong in hating IPL in the beginning but started liking it as the tournament progressed (even though I still hate it).

And I started loving him when he wrote that wonderful piece on ganguly. calling far ponting's head after the sydney test was rabble rousing and uncalled for, though.

if he doesnt go fully mad, he could end up as the greatest cricket writer in history - better than robertson-glasgow, cardus, james and anyone you and AM can think of.

Precambrian

Banned
Haigh is comfortably better than Roebuck in every facet.
I like the style of Haigh, better than that of Roebuck. But Haigh's expertise is limited to Australian and probably English cricket, and has often showed a lack of understanding when he writes about subcontinental cricket.

My regard for Haigh has gone down ever since he's made it a routine to bash BCCI in every article of his, whether relevant or not. The latest being this piece in Cricinfo. Worse thing is that he has seized on a tragedy and converted it into a platform to vent his anger on BCCI. Totally uncalled for.