• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

PCB Hands Out Bans - Discussion and Aftermath

G.I.Joe

International Coach
He's not informed presumably because he's been in Sydney - you'd think he'll get a briefly when he gets back to Pakistan..
You know there's this wonderful new invention called the telegraph. Seems to work even on the steamship Waqar is travelling on. And what's more- knowledagble circles are abuzz with talk of a newer invention to supercede that- the telephone :-O

Sir Alex

Banned
You know there's this wonderful new invention called the telegraph. Seems to work even on the steamship Waqar is travelling on. And what's more- knowledagble circles are abuzz with talk of a newer invention to supercede that- the telephone :-O
:laugh:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Facetiousness aside - the point remains that he may well have been invited for a chat with the panel if he had been handy, but given that he not only had he not officially commenced, but that he was in another country, engaged with another activity, and they were presumably keen to make their announcement, I can understand why they didn't go to the effort of having a conversation with him. And to be fair, I don't really see why his input would have been necessary, and reason why it would be undesirable. With team boards making decisions on discipline, I feel they should do so without considering the short-term effect on performance - otherwise the whole thing becomes a joke. Waqar wasn't the coach at the time these issues were going on, so had nothing to add as a witness, and surely its ultimately up to the board, not the coach to decide what is and isn't acceptable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly no apologist for how the PCB has behaved through this whole saga, but I think this is one specific issue where they've done little wrong.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
I am begining to wonder why Younis Khan and Yousuf havent publicly demanded an explanation or asked that the report itself be made public if they are innocent of these wrong doings.

I really cant think of a single incident that would have ever led me to believe younis khan was not a top bloke, but these guys better raise their voices and demand some explanations if they are so innocent.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
First sentence:
Members of Pakistan's senate standing committee on sports believe, on the evidence of the inquiry committee report they have seen on Pakistan's tour to Australia, that "one or more" players in the national side are involved in deliberately under-performing for money, though they admit concrete evidence is lacking.
Case solved.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Yeah saw the interview last night the guy says there is good evidance for Kamran Akmal for his drops in Sydney.He's a politician and they flip flop like yo-yo so will take this with a pinch of salt.

Feel Akmal is incompetent rather then cheater.
This.

Politicians are politicians.....nuff said.

I am more worried about the new captain.

Apparently Afridi is still a strong candidate but in the recent meeting Butt has told him that from some quarters their is opposition as he is on probation. Butt asked him if in case he is not selected as a captain who does he think as the best candidate. Afridi recommended Razzaq to take the charge.

I am not for Razzaq as a captain. Moreover his story about leaving Lahore's team to join Sialkot puts up question marks about how he would deal with Salman Butt who took over his position as a captin in Lahore.

Other than these the only name that comes to mind....is may be Asif......he is a smart cricketer.

I simply hope that Salman Butt and Misbah are no where close to the playing 11 let alone being the captain.

Last edited:

slowfinger

International Debutant
This.

Apparently Afridi is still a strong candidate but in the recent meeting Butt has told him that from some quarters their is opposition as he is on probation. Butt asked him if in case he is not selected as a captain who does he think as the best candidate. Afridi recommended Razzaq to take the charge.

I am not for Razzaq as a captain. Moreover his story about leaving Lahore's team to join Sialkot puts up question marks about how he would deal with Salman Butt who took over his position as a captin in Lahore.

Other than these the only name that comes to mind....is may be Asif......he is a smart cricketer.

I simply hope that Salman Butt and Misbah are no where close to the playing 11 let alone being the captain.
Yeah I would love Razzaq to be captain it would be so funny.:laugh: But I don't think Asif has yet what it takes to be captain, I mean, it has barely been 5 months since he has made his comeback and you decide he be captain?

And as for Misbah and Butt, I think that's a little bit harsh considering how important Misbah had been in the 07 T20, but yes they don't need captaincy. A captain is a standout player and I think it is given way too lightly in Pakistan, well, at least the PCB are mopping up the mess they have made (or have they:ph34r:).

Well, lets see what mess Pakistan will get into. But they'll figure this out Insha'allah.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Love how politicians can start discussing the fortunes of a sports team and it doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary.

Imagine if the Commons started discussing the England football team after they get knocked out of the World Cup quarters again...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There was that time when an MP in Sheffield campaigned to have Danny Wilson sacked

Craig

World Traveller
This.

Why should Salman Butt have a say in this?

slowfinger

International Debutant
Precisely why we lost that WC IMO.

Remember....the Dilscoop came out to be a "Misscoop"...
Yeah but like he got us up there, and even when he hit that scoop, where my mate was half of the city (pakistani fans) went shouting and screaming when it was up, but as soon as it came down all the other indian fans jumped.