• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan vs New Zealand at Sharjah: Matchday thread; Tue 26/10 Late Game

Pick the winner

• New Zealand

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Pakistan

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The lack of Lockie is quite concerning. NZ would be fearsome if the Southee death faucet was replaced by the most consistently rapid yorker merchant in the world.

Flem274*

123/5
Haris Rauf is the chucker they brought down here last summer isn't he?

Well done Pakistan. Looks like nz got smoked.

Flem274*

123/5
'Good' is stretching it re: Santa's bowling. He can do a job, but as mentioned you can't be bowling him in the final 5, at which point you have to question if you're better off with a proper bowler.

He's only played 2 IPL games as well? Not really proven as a bowler at the highest level. His T20I record looks alright but if you dig into it it's because he bowls really well on dustbowls (Pallekele, Vidarbha, etc) or at home in NZ. Goes at above 8s basically anywhere else.

Decent but not 'good', definitely the worst bowler in today's game. Pak's entire spin attack is more effective in T20 cricket. But then again, he probably justifies his spot thanks to batting+fielding.

Good win by Pakistan there, looked in trouble but Asif Ali killed it off.
The ipl isnt the highest level lol its a payday

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
I think we did well enough to get a sniff on a small ground and the ball was coming on to the bat as Asif/Malik showed. I think where we were let down was in our batting. Unnecessary shuffling of batting, trying to be over smart. Wasn't required. Conway and Guppy should have opened. Left right combination at the top. Should have had Phillips, Mitchell, Neesh and Seifert batting down the order. One of Kane or Conway would have held the inning together to post a reasonable score, tried and test formula for the last year or so. Oh well...

Burgey

Always wondered Gambhiring was. What's the story behind the phrase?
It's a term coined by the one and only @Burgey , I will try to dig up the thread for your context a little later.
The greats just get it done. Time and time again.

trundler

I think we did well enough to get a sniff on a small ground and the ball was coming on to the bat as Asif/Malik showed. I think where we were let down was in our batting. Unnecessary shuffling of batting, trying to be over smart. Wasn't required. Conway and Guppy should have opened. Left right combination at the top. Should have had Phillips, Mitchell, Neesh and Seifert batting down the order. One of Kane or Conway would have held the inning together to post a reasonable score, tried and test formula for the last year or so. Oh well...
Death bowling was a factor too. Pakistan managed to slow down the scoring rate towards the end with plenty of dot balls that the batsmen played and missed owing to subtle variations in pace and length whereas the Kiwi lot were rather predictable.

Sidenote: that Conway catch was epic

nzfan

Death bowling has been a problem for us for quite sometime. Southee should be bowled out prior 16 overs. We were a bowler short so makes it hard. Neesham has done well for firebirds at basin often in the death but these are different conditions. Maybe we had 20 more runs our bowlers would have had a cusion. One big over couldn't have costed us. Santner is usually good but I guess credit to Pakistan, they came back very strongly.

Sensational catch from Conway.. one of the very best I've seen.

nzfan

I guess one positive to come out of the loss is the Pakistan media users will stop abusing our NZC social media handles and move on. You go to any of NZC tweets or insta or facebook it's just Pakistan cricket followers going bonkers. They will move on in couple of days.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Yeah just don't give Southee death overs. But other than that, can't say didn't see this coming. Batting really is the weak link. If Mitchell was sent to provide a quick start, then that backfired. I'd have let Conway continue tbh. Didn't help that Ferg was out, but that crack was somewhat papered over by (the last overs aside) the rest. I wonder why Mitchell is in if he's not bowling? He did alright considering, but still, what's the reasoning here?

Would've really liked Latham in the squad tbh :/ Now I can't see a better XI (esp wrt batting) from the current squad.

thierry henry

International Coach
Have we started collectively imagining that Conway was our T20 opener? He never has been.

Not saying it wouldn’t be a good idea, just noting that 3 or 4 people now seem to have made up that this was a thing.

The Hutt Rec

Have we started collectively imagining that Conway was our T20 opener? He never has been.

Not saying it wouldn’t be a good idea, just noting that 3 or 4 people now seem to have made up that this was a thing.
Much like the NZ selectors made up Mitchell opening was a thing. Conway actually has opened for NZ before and always opens for Wellington.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Seifert did it for a bit before falling out of favour for Conway by the end of that Australia series.