• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies Tour of the UK 2017

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Lewis has a fracture. Out of the last game. Holder also out as has to attend a funeral.

Would have been a great game if this one went the full 50. Brilliant from Moeen and Buttler to get up with the rate.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Didn’t see the England innings. Were Ali and Buttler playing normally or thrashing to overtake D/L because they knew it was going to rain?

Camo999

State 12th Man
Geez it’s a cruel game. England hit the front in the D/L literally as the rain starts to come down.

But I went to this match exclusively to pay my respects to Marlon: my favourite cricketer. Sadly, it may be his last match. The runs have dried up. One measly single on a day when 700 would have been scored. Even the umps have turned against him this series. Had he somehow clung onto that bullet from Moeen near the end, he still could have been the hero but he barely got a fingernail on it.

He has survived chucking, bookmakers, losing his sight after that horrific blow to the face, stretches of dreadful form and the ever present sore knee. He’s won global tournaments off his own bat and taken on and taken down bullies like Warne and Stokes. He moves slowly, defiantly in the field but to hear him speak to Nasser Hussain a few years ago with such passion for the game of cricket and the West Indies was quite wonderful.

In reality he’s straddled between a passenger and a genuine superstar with not much in between. I’d love nothing more than another glorious revival on Friday. He’s already returned from oblivion so many times before but even with the injury to Lewis, I’m not sure they’ll select him. Either way, it was nice to see him out there today, one last time. Bring on the autobiography.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Moeen is such a gun ODI player for someone who averages less than 30 with the bat and more than 50 with the ball. It's not even really that he's underperformed to get to that - his role is just really harsh on averages.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Geez it’s a cruel game. England hit the front in the D/L literally as the rain starts to come down.

But I went to this match exclusively to pay my respects to Marlon: my favourite cricketer. Sadly, it may be his last match. The runs have dried up. One measly single on a day when 700 would have been scored. Even the umps have turned against him this series. Had he somehow clung onto that bullet from Moeen near the end, he still could have been the hero but he barely got a fingernail on it.

He has survived chucking, bookmakers, losing his sight after that horrific blow to the face, stretches of dreadful form and the ever present sore knee. He’s won global tournaments off his own bat and taken on and taken down bullies like Warne and Stokes. He moves slowly, defiantly in the field but to hear him speak to Nasser Hussain a few years ago with such passion for the game of cricket and the West Indies was quite wonderful.

In reality he’s straddled between a passenger and a genuine superstar with not much in between. I’d love nothing more than another glorious revival on Friday. He’s already returned from oblivion so many times before but even with the injury to Lewis, I’m not sure they’ll select him. Either way, it was nice to see him out there today, one last time. Bring on the autobiography.

Nah he will forever be the self obsessed, egoistical idiot who ran out Lara in his last innings, and could not even apologize for being such a ****. Winning a WT20 final is all he has done in his "career", (no the latest one was by remember the name, not Marlon), but its an example of how all the talent in the world will not get you anywhere when your attitude is the absolute pits.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Moeen is such a gun ODI player for someone who averages less than 30 with the bat and more than 50 with the ball. It's not even really that he's underperformed to get to that - his role is just really harsh on averages.
Would you say he's better than ~2013 Hafeez

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah he will forever be the self obsessed, egoistical idiot who ran out Lara in his last innings, and could not even apologize for being such a ****. Winning a WT20 final is all he has done in his "career", (no the latest one was by remember the name, not Marlon), but its an example of how all the talent in the world will not get you anywhere when your attitude is the absolute pits.

Yeah Marlon played a great knock but the spotlight well and truly shifted to braithwaite after his 4 sixes. Marlon then ripping his shirt off like they came off his bat was a little much

Still two huge innings in two WC finals is impressive

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Would you say he's better than ~2013 Hafeez
Nah, probably not. They have/had very different batting roles and performed them to a similar standard (maybe Moeen slightly ahead?), but they have/had very similar bowling roles and Hafeez decidedly more effective at it (unless you want to take points off for chucking).

Howe_zat

Audio File
I think if Mo had stuck with opening he'd probably have been just as effective as Hafeez, possibly more so as he'd be a faster scorer with more 10 (8) kind of innings as failures.

Seems to have a convincing knack of not taking wickets in the short form though. Needed more options around him than we saw yesterday.

I'd bat him at six in the next game with Stokes out, in order to play an extra bowler. Ali 6, Woakes 7, Willey 8 should be fine

flibbertyjibber

His stats are a hampered a bit like Matt Prior's were in tests as he bats when he has to give it some welly and can throw it away and Prior gave his away looking for declarations loads of times when others would take a red inker and pad the stats. Great to have players who are team men like that. Mo had a great year all round after only really doing well with the bat last summer.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think if Mo had stuck with opening he'd probably have been just as effective as Hafeez, possibly more so as he'd be a faster scorer with more 10 (8) kind of innings as failures.

Seems to have a convincing knack of not taking wickets in the short form though. Needed more options around him than we saw yesterday.

I'd bat him at six in the next game with Stokes out, in order to play an extra bowler. Ali 6, Woakes 7, Willey 8 should be fine
Except for Willey not really adding much with the ball and never having shown any semblance of his county batting form at International level as he's not especially suited to coming in when the powerplay isn't on.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Pre-being hit in the eye by Malinga at the Big Bash he was my favorite right handed batsman to watch. Silky strokes, complete domination when he is in and settled. Since being hit int he eye he has been too leg-side of the ball for my liking and has had some ugly dismissals. He didn't live up to his potential and all I will really remember him by are a few God-like innings amongst a lot of mediocrity.

I will also remember him for being quite badly treated by authorities when he was banned when in mine and Richie Richardson's opinion he shouldn't have been. Since then he's had a giant chip on his shoulder, hasn't really trusted anyone and has been a solitary figure in the dressing room. I think it's time to say goodbye and leave him to a few years of CPL T20 hitting.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Samuels' 2012 was a pretty amazing year. Scored tons of runs in all formats with several godlike innings. Obvious one being the t20 final knock, which I still consider the best t20 innings ever, and this incredibly underrated gem against NZ :

Shame he could never again replicate that form though

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Ali's ODI bowling role hasn't added much value to the side in the last 1 year imo. His batting has obviously been a serious bonus at no. 7. I don't think any no. 7 bats better than him in world cricket now, except Hardik.