• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England 2020

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, what is the go with that? And the other 3 tests for the summer are in Southampton?

Are Lancashire and Hampshire considered safer Covid options?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Just seen there's 3 T20's in Manchester too. So out of 9 International fixtures for the summer, Old Trafford got 6 and the Rose Bowl 3..........these are strange days indeed. Not that I mind London missing out.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Plus if it rains we retain the wisden trophy.....

Though not sure how our test side will develop watching covers, they don't get enough tests as it is.

Shady Slim

International Coach
obviously hindsight is 20/20 but it would've been real sweet to have rested gabriel for that second test to have him fit and firing if we get play in the third hey

shame we haven't seen cornwall yet but the windies have a couple of options if they do decide to rejig the team around. dowrich, hope, and campbell all could be on the block with the bat (though i don't think that they would drop hope), and gabriel or roach could warrant a rest with the ball.

i tell you what

for all the talk of the windies middle order being averse to time in the middle, both brooks and blackwood have come up aces when they've had to this series. they're used to some combo of dowrich, holder, chase, coming to the rescue, but ultimately they can't always do it and seeing some of those middle guys step up has been a pleasant surprise. next step is to get the middle and lower middle working at the same time and contributions from the top too. the pieces are all there!!

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Manchester and Southampton are obviously dumps (though the building of the hotels on the grounds has proved to be a good idea).
It’ll be a good quiz question for future generations regarding the first touring team not to play a Test at Lords.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah WI's batting hasn't been all that bad. They showed a decent amount of resilience in the last Test, but couldn't go on to convert starts into big ones. Brooks and Blackwood have been better than most people would have guessed before the series began. John Campbell and Hope have been the standout "failures", so to speak. They just need those two to contribute something. Still feel Hope has a lot of talent and he's got off to decent starts and shown flashes of real quality, but needs to go on with it.

Beamer

obviously hindsight is 20/20 but it would've been real sweet to have rested gabriel for that second test to have him fit and firing if we get play in the third hey

shame we haven't seen cornwall yet but the windies have a couple of options if they do decide to rejig the team around. dowrich, hope, and campbell all could be on the block with the bat (though i don't think that they would drop hope), and gabriel or roach could warrant a rest with the ball.

i tell you what

for all the talk of the windies middle order being averse to time in the middle, both brooks and blackwood have come up aces when they've had to this series. they're used to some combo of dowrich, holder, chase, coming to the rescue, but ultimately they can't always do it and seeing some of those middle guys step up has been a pleasant surprise. next step is to get the middle and lower middle working at the same time and contributions from the top too. the pieces are all there!!
Brooks and Blackwood have pleasantly surprised me as well. Particularly Brooks who has looked really good for the most part. If you analyse our batting lineup you have Braithwaite, Brooks, Chase, Blackwood, Dowrich and Holder who are good for scoring 40s and 50s regularly. John Campbell and Shai Hope don;t even offer that and need replacing basically.

But we will not progress as a team until we have batsmen capable of scoring hundreds and really taking a game away from the opposition or at least keeping pace on the very rare occasion that our fast bowlers don't do the business (like the 2nd test basically).

At the moment it feels like we can win one test match per series, sometimes two, by bowling the opposition out cheaply and then batting as a team to scrape together some runs. But if we want to start winning test series consistently we have to start scoring hundreds. Hopefully some of the incumbents can learn that soon and then we can replace Campbell and Hope with people that can score some runs at test level.

Beamer

Yeah WI's batting hasn't been all that bad. They showed a decent amount of resilience in the last Test, but couldn't go on to convert starts into big ones. Brooks and Blackwood have been better than most people would have guessed before the series began. John Campbell and Hope have been the standout "failures", so to speak. They just need those two to contribute something. Still feel Hope has a lot of talent and he's got off to decent starts and shown flashes of real quality, but needs to go on with it.
Up until now I agreed with your assessment of Shai, but it has been way too many test matches and it's holding the team back. I also don;t think it's fair on others performing at FC level over the last couple of years to be kept out of the side by someone performing so badly.

For me Shai gets dropped for the next test and Campbell joins him on the bench for the next series if he doesn't pull his socks up in the next test.

vcs

Fair enough - I don't know enough about the possible replacements and they deserve a go for sure if they have done well at FC level, A-tours etc.

Just wanted to point out that their batting hasn't been bad per se, pretty much every touring team has struggled to make runs consistently in England. Smith and Labuschagne (Wade at a push) were the only Australians who could make runs last year, only Kohli made runs for India, etc.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Up until now I agreed with your assessment of Shai, but it has been way too many test matches and it's holding the team back. I also don;t think it's fair on others performing at FC level over the last couple of years to be kept out of the side by someone performing so badly.

For me Shai gets dropped for the next test and Campbell joins him on the bench for the next series if he doesn't pull his socks up in the next test.
who is putting up the runs in the fc game that should be pushing hope aside?

Beamer

who is putting up the runs in the fc game that should be pushing hope aside?
Over the last 2 years Bonner and Mayer's both averaged over 50. Brandon King also performed at FC level and then played really well in A team cricket.

I'm not a massive Bonner fan as before the last 2 years he wasn't up to the mark. But we can't afford to be picky right now, he made the squad as a back up batsman and so deserves the play. Either that or drop him to bring in Rakheem the dream as a bowling all-rounder.

Beamer

Roddy Estwick days no injury troubles for the third test. My eyes must have deceived me when I saw Shannon barely able to bend down and Alzarri holding his bicep.

Holder is very stubborn, I have a sinking feeling they'll play the same XI.

SillyCowCorner1

Roddy Estwick days no injury troubles for the third test. My eyes must have deceived me when I saw Shannon barely able to bend down and Alzarri holding his bicep.

Holder is sinking Chase?s role as a batsman

the big bambino

International Captain

You know, really they should. I've read a bit about resting Gabriel but I don't see the reasoning. Meant to be unfit yet has played two tests and was influential in one of them. Fitness isn't a concern for the last test either; apparently. The series is even. WI not really noted for batting out draws to secure the trophy. Though with bad weather forecast maybe they can. If you want to keep the trophy then I can't see a reason why you wouldn't pick your best side which means Gabriel. Or if you rest him play an extra bat that might just pad the side with enough graft to see out whatever time the weather allows. Not that it would be my preferred option.

I have a suspicion people just want to see Chemar, which isn't a good reason to pick him. I think he has a chance though. But if anyone goes it'd have to be Roach or Joseph.

flibbertyjibber

Some win, was working and had a poorly dog and a ?1000 vets bill in the last few days so didn't see the last couple of days and had no time to come on here. God knows what side we pick for the last test but Broad showed why he should always have played at Southampton.

As for the Archer abuse, he deserves stick for being a prat but racist abuse is way beyond what is acceptable.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
vaughan showing what a classless piece of **** he is again

glossing over the racist abuse and telling archer to just accept it and that its no different from the abuse he gets

ignoring the difference in the offensiveness of the abuse and ignoring the fact that archer doesn't goad the abuse out of people like vaughan does with his full time professional troll act

such a loathsome individual