• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England 2020

aussie tragic

International Captain
I always liked the ICC rankings but can't get on board with Stokes averaging 38.58 being the #3 Test batsman in the World behind Kohli and Smith.

Williamson, Pujara and even Labuschagne come lately are much better bats than him at the moment. If only they could play to topple him...

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
vaughan showing what a classless piece of **** he is again

glossing over the racist abuse and telling archer to just accept it and that its no different from the abuse he gets

ignoring the difference in the offensiveness of the abuse and ignoring the fact that archer doesn't goad the abuse out of people like vaughan does with his full time professional troll act

such a loathsome individual
Mick Vaughan's #Wanker'sLivesMatter campaign starts here.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I always liked the ICC rankings but can't get on board with Stokes averaging 38.58 being the #3 Test batsman in the World behind Kholi and Smith.

Williamson, Pujara and even Labuschagne come lately are much better bats than him at the moment. If only they could play to topple him...
It's based on recent form though and not career average, so Stokes probably averages 50+ with the bat since 2018.

aussie tragic

International Captain
It's based on recent form though and not career average, so Stokes probably averages 50+ with the bat since 2018.
Doesn't Labuschagne average 64 over same period and that's with a very slow start so would be much better over last 12 months?

Bijed

International Regular
Doesn't Labuschagne average 64 over same period and that's with a very slow start so would be much better over last 12 months?
I think they're actually tied in the rankings. I don't know how much weighting the ICC's formula gives to home/away, bowling attacks etc but depending on exactly the period in questions (i.e how much how Stokes' fair average returns up until Lords last year come in to the equation) it could explain the difference

Bijed

International Regular
If you were picking a World XI #3-5 batting line up (based on batting alone) would you seriously pick Stokes as 3rd batsman behind Smith and Kohli?
If you're limiting it to specifically those positions then possibly not, but right now he'd be my #6 in a World XI on batting alone

Howe_zat

Audio File
Probably would bat him at 6 rather than 5 in world XI but it doesn't really matter, he's pretty much playing like god right now, no chance he misses the team

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Recency must be a factor too. If you take Stoke's last couple of series and compare them to Labu, he must be up there.

aussie tragic

International Captain
If you're limiting it to specifically those positions then possibly not, but right now he'd be my #6 in a World XI on batting alone
I said 3-5 because that's where the top 2 batsmen currently bat and Stokes is not an opener.

Btw I think he's an automatic choice as #6 in a World XI as an amazing allrounder that beats any #5-6 batsman alone.

Howe_zat

Audio File
They've retained the XI from the last test as well as all of Anderson, Archer and Wood.

I think sticking with Bess makes it more likely they'll pick neither of Curran and Woakes and run with the weaker tail. I probably would have given Leach a go as more suited to the Windies' right-handers, but that'd mean perhaps sacrificing something from the pace bowling to play Curran at 8.

I'm guessing

[batsmen]
Bess
Archer
Broad
Anderson

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So, Anderson Broad Archer. Sounds good. Don't need Woakes if you have the first two. Bess being retained is lazy though, regardless of his batting.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
They've retained the XI from the last test as well as all of Anderson, Archer and Wood.

I think sticking with Bess makes it more likely they'll pick neither of Curran and Woakes and run with the weaker tail. I probably would have given Leach a go as more suited to the Windies' right-handers, but that'd mean perhaps sacrificing something from the pace bowling to play Curran at 8.

I'm guessing

[batsmen]
Bess
Archer
Broad
Anderson
Agreed on all counts.