• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England 2020

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1 down and you rest Jimmy after 1 Test? Idk about that.
I actually think they're probably going with every pace bowler gets rested policy, might be to avoid injury. We've got depth, so we'll see.

Let's not say Woakes is picked for his batting, if picked, in England his bowling is better than most.

grecian

Yeah absolutely. Just making a general point that he seems to be under appreciated.
If Crawley hadn't scored a decent 50, I'd have kept with him, but no choice really, comparing the two, Zak clearly has attributes Denly has yet to show for England.

Bijed

International Regular
The decision to keep Crawley instead of him is probably the right one, but you're both right. Denly is a relatively ordinary cricketer, but he did a better job for the side than his stats will indicate.
Denly's time in tests might be the most 'did a job' career ever tbh

grecian

I am not sure we can be sure what the england selectors will do with the bowling, I was joking but there genuinely is a case for a slow-left armer with root back. Too many choices may be muddling strategy here, .

Jack1

International Debutant
Looks like Root, Woakes, Broad in for Denly, Wood, Anderson. Would have liked Foakes in for Buttler too.

So both Broad and Woakes get to play? They must be really worried that they need guys who can bat till 9.
Not sure what your point is. They are both very good in England with the ball. They just happen to offer more with the bat than Wood and Anderson.

grecian

I don't really see how either of them is better than Anderson in England.
As we've said they're clearly resting bowlers as a strategy, 6 Tests in quick succession, be interesting if Archer plays next match. Or perhaps with this being the first at Mancheseter, they'll go no spinner, then two for the second match, oh my head hurts, the computations. Ed Smith probably has an excel spreadsheet with it all on he seems that type...

Feel it's all too complicated by half myself.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
As we've said they're clearly resting bowlers as a strategy, 6 Tests in quick succession, be interesting if Archer plays next match. Or perhaps with this being the first at Mancheseter, they'll go no spinner, then two for the second match, oh my head hurts, the computations. Ed Smith probably has an excel spreadsheet with it all on he seems that type...

See, bowlers like Anderson are as much about rhythm as they are about workloads. I think he can pull through another test, especially in such a tight series. Reminds me of the calls to rest Sachin after the first 2 tests against England when they were here in 2012. You want your best players for a tight contest. Maybe it will work out and they will get Anderson and Broad together for the last test when its all on the line but what if it goes pear shaped now and there is no point in playing him in the third test anyways?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They're playing 3 more Tests vs. Pakistan after this? Pakistan seem to tour England every other year.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
See, bowlers like Anderson are as much about rhythm as they are about workloads. I think he can pull through another test, especially in such a tight series.
Anderson's already broken down two series in a row. At this stage, if they feel resting him may prolong his career by even a few months, then they're going to do it. Still a massive call though. Huge chance for west indies to pull off another win, obviously.