• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England 2020

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Silverwood has stated that Jos Buttler's place is safe. I think most pundits are giving him the series, I think most punters on here aren't.
I would prefer Foakes to Buttler as our keeper moving forwards, but I don't think it's crazy that having selected Buttler for Southampton they don't want to drop him after just one Test. It's not like there is a returning player to fit in (a la Root/Denly) and it wasn't as if Buttler was a total liability, in must-drop sort of form. He just underwhelmed a little, which is more or less his baseline level as Test keeper.

Essentially we didn't really learn anything new in Southampton so I don't think that Test should change how we rank them. If the selectors & pundits thought Buttler was the better shout for the first Test then I can understand why they would still think that, while those who already thought Foakes was the better also wouldn't have been convinced otherwise.

On the BBS selector thing I went with three "okes" partly for the lols but mainly as I think it is the correct selection moving forward.
Yeah I did that too. You can make a case for any combination of the main 5 quicks in contention really, so may as well pick one with meme value for a meaningless poll.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I had actually forgotten how we went for a very tall attack againsy Oz last year,because of the bounce at OT, before LT reminded me, and it was a bit of a disaster.

Not sure it changes my view, that in general, bounce is the thing at that ground. Moeen averages 18.50 there, but I guess that isn't happening.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

As you can see, the CW Former's No Changes League has acquired some non-forumers who are already engaging in changes! Some people. I've no sympathy at all and hope they remain on the bottom.

Anyone know who Stephanie is? Particularly pertninent as excluding her team means I'd be winning.
Why are there links for two sides and none for the others?

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Coach Simmons says Campbell's scan was clear, no break. So the only selection decision they will make is regarding Rakheem the dream.

grecian

It was only me suggesting that wasn't it? and I am not really being serious, broad for Wood, simple as that. I'm finding some of the arguments ridiculous though, like the one you pick Wood, once you have to show faith in him again.

No we lost the ****ing match against a team we should beat, are we not going to blame anyone for that, or just gie them all gold stars for participation FFS.

the big bambino

International Captain
To be a little more accurate they were ridiculous justifications rather than arguments, and required by the captain once he was asked if he regretted picking Wood.

Flem274*

123/5
grecian you can't pick that top 4 and expect to win against anyone tbh, bangladesh would balk at it and brendan taylor/sean williams stroll into it.

england = west indies until root and broad return, then solid advantage to england.

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer
grecian you can't pick that top 4 and expect to win against anyone tbh, bangladesh would balk at it and brendan taylor/sean williams stroll into it.

england = west indies until root and broad return, then solid advantage to england.
Root taking captaincy pressure off Stokes might also free Stokes up to pull more of his magic out of the proverbial hat. I'd expect all of England's batsmen to up their game in the second and third tests too, having spent a bit of time in the middle.

WI have a tough time on their hands.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

I may be completely off here, but I thought grecian was taking the Mickey Bliss?

grecian

That top 4 had us at about 200-3 in the second innings, again they are not great, but people are exagerrating it IMHO. Match total Burns 72, Sibley 50, Denly 47. Crawley 86, we've had 100s worse, on top 4 I'd imagine, putting the blame on them seems to be twisting things narratively

It's not just been Stokes that has been jusifying a few journos including agnew seem to me making an odd case for the bowling attack to remain the same. I put it down to two factors, one we are all wooly-headed idiots coming out of Lockdown, just happy to see cricket, so we are blindly acquiesing, I think I was a bit like that when side was picked didn't get angry at all when I normally would.

and of course the age old problem, Stuey is such an unlikable dick, that DS forum I linked too was notable for about 10 years wanted him out as soon as he did a bad spell. Even here for many years that was the case.

grecian

I may be completely off here, but I thought grecian was taking the Mickey Bliss?
The bowling line-up is a piss-take,, based on the pointless indecision of England for what should be a simple call, I would have named the side Monday. I think he's going on about the batting top 4.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
the english top 4 are about the same level as the windies top 4, and both are international stragglers until root returns. i don't remember a worse english top 4 in my life. they're concrete shoes to what is otherwise a good side, give or take a few players.

Shady Slim

International Coach

As you can see, the CW Former's No Changes League has acquired some non-forumers who are already engaging in changes! Some people. I've no sympathy at all and hope they remain on the bottom.

Anyone know who Stephanie is? Particularly pertninent as excluding her team means I'd be winning.
always figured that bharani was hb's surname and not given name tbh, and i always thought harsh's initials were AG, and that the name harsh.ag meant, well, harsh guy called AG

learning experience for all of us

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
Some interesting comments about England's top 4. Certainly aesthetically, the openers aren't out of the coaching manual but in terms of weight of runs in recent domestic seasons they are the correct option currently. I think Denly's time is up but Crawly is learning quickly and has demonstrated improvement. Root and Stokes in the engine room really does improve the line up and help nurture Pope who had a tough time in Southampton but does look the part. Some of the partnerships he was involved in over the Winter were tremendous.

I find it exciting that we are seeing a youthful team who have been encouraged to play the game properly at their own tempo rather than trying to smash the skin off the ball every delivery. There will be times they fail, that's for sure, but I still believe the current squad is worthy of investment and can all put a high price on the value of their wicket. As a group they may not be top drawer at this stage of development but I'm optimistic about the long term prospect.