• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England 2020

Arachnodouche

International Captain
For all his ugliness, I don't think I've seen Burns discomfited even once. He somehow manages to stick around and put bowlers off. If he can push that average towards 40, England will be very happy.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I expect that's the end of a very curious 18 months where Joe Denly was a test cricketer. A thought provoking career at least, even if it was an experiment in how far 'not entirely ineffective' can take you.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
We might go in with the same team if conditions are the same. Chase bowling more might continue to keep Rakheem at bay.
Holder seems to me to be the type that only wants to include a non-bajan spinner if it is a raging turner like it was in Lucknow. I think Rakheem would cause England lots of problems on a pitch that bounces, but I agree the most likely decision is an unchanged side. Personally, I'm dropping Shai Hope or Brooks to include Rakheem, so..

Braithwaite
Campbell
Brooks/Hope
Chase
Blackwood
Dowrich
Holder
Cornwall
Joseph
Roach
Gabriel

Beamer

I expect that's the end of a very curious 18 months where Joe Denly was a test cricketer. A thought provoking career at least, even if it was an experiment in how far 'not entirely ineffective' can take you.
I for one will miss him. I always thought we were in with a chance whilst he was at the crease.....

Beamer

From Cricinfo

The average first-innings score in the last five Tests at Old Trafford is 425, while the average second-innings score is 292. The venue is favourable for pace bowling, with the fast men averaging 28.44 and striking at 53.1. The spinners have struggled here, averaging 43.44 and striking once every 77 balls.
Hmm we might have to wait a little longer for Rakheem the Dream :(.

Jack1

International Debutant
So Denly dropped, right decision. Buttler very lucky to retain his place over Foakes. Broad ought to play over Wood. Woakes is an option too.

For all his ugliness, I don't think I've seen Burns discomfited even once. He somehow manages to stick around and put bowlers off. If he can push that average towards 40, England will be very happy.
He has potential to average 40 if he can convert starts into bigger scores. He seems to have a habit of getting out softly too. I still think he is a good player with good potential.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
England fans seem to have forgotten the days of 10/3 pretty quickly.
The decision to keep Crawley instead of him is probably the right one, but you're both right. Denly is a relatively ordinary cricketer, but he did a better job for the side than his stats will indicate.

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer
I'd be surprised if WI play Rakheem in the next game. If Brooks or Hope fail again, he may be brought in in the third test.

Hope is a pickle, because he's been so awesome in ODIs, and seems to be genuinely trying hard to become a serious test player.

Last edited:

Beamer

I'd be surprised if WI play Rakheem in the next game. If Brooks or Hope fail again, he may be brought in in the third test.

Hope is a pickle, because he's been so awesome in ODIs, and seems to be trying hard to become a serious test player.
I just look at Shai batting in tests now and success just doesn;t seem likely anymore. Previously he was looking good and then finding ways to get out. Now it appears that he will get out at any moment. I think it is nearing the time where we need to send him back to FC cricket and remember how to score long format runs.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I just look at Shai batting in tests now and success just doesn;t seem likely anymore. Previously he was looking good and then finding ways to get out. Now it appears that he will get out at any moment. I think it is nearing the time where we need to send him back to FC cricket and remember how to score long format runs.
This makes sense. He's still only 26. A couple of years honing his long-form skills won't hurt him much.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wood and Jimmeh rested, with Ollie Robinson and Sam Curran in the squad, got to say Didn't see that coming.

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
Making Jimmy cross about not playing at his home ground, coming in from the Anderson End!

I think Woakes and Broad are most likely to play, conditions pending.