• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in New Zealand 2017

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Beamer!!!..all these new batsmen coming up is rather exciting aye? :D Carty, Webster, Cariah, King, Allen, Cato, Paul, Nicholas, Jangoo etc all standing out in the first class competition this season aswell. Plus there are some major gems in the WI u19s that will be defending their title next year. Yadram, Kallicharan and Stewert bring just three names to mention. It's been a long time since we've seen this sort of talent coming up in the region imo and long may it continue.
Carty, King and Paul are my picks for international honours in future. How about you?

Carty because he's just st so solid, King because he has a touch of class and can really dominate when he's in and Paul because he's got fantastic cricket smarts with both bat and ball and has already demonstrated the ability to score aggressive hundreds and take cheap 5 wicket hauls, so he's potentially a proper all rounder.

fekima

Cricket Spectator
Is there any way to watch the replay of the 1st day stream or some highlights? Didn't catch any of it and wouldn't mind watching Ferguson bowling.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
This is the great thing about getting some A cricket in - we can talk all we want about which bowler or batsman might be ready for the step up based on domestic records, but then a bowling performance like yesterday can give from much stronger evidence that yes, Ferguson is getting really close, Van Beek Mark 2 is really bowling well, Bennett was lacking (perhaps justifying Kippax's theory that his early season success is on the back of quicker wickets than this), and Tastle is a massive risk and can be awful. Yes it's just one innings, but you could barely ask for better NZ selection indicators than that.

Does look an unimpressive batting scorecard today, though I haven't seen any - perhaps WI have bowled well. Though I agree with the previous comments that it's an uninspiring batting lineup - apart from the NZ openers, the only one I'm particularly interested in seeing do well at the moment is Bruce, and he's 44*.

Neesham's career really at a cross-roads and his FC/test game doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm a bit worried about Raval's form - one half-century from eight innings for Auckland and averaging about 24, and a laborious 1 today. He was bloody fantastic for us last summer, so I hope he comes good again.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not saying Raval is as reliant on roads as once thought - he's disproved that - but it still wouldn't have helped that EPOO has been far from a road this season so far. Plenty of chance to be nipped out early.

Mike5181

International Captain
The group of players that bridged the gap between Williamson/Latham and someone like Glenn Phillips definitely lost a bit with the drop in form of Will Young and Popli. There's not many names that deserved A team selection when it was originally announced.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm not watching, but Astle's second innings figures sure are different to his first innings ones so far.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
The group of players that bridged the gap between Williamson/Latham and someone like Glenn Phillips definitely lost a bit with the drop in form of Will Young and Popli. There's not many names that deserved A team selection when it was originally announced.
Fair point, perhaps points to noone having quite that level of raw ability as those either. Young/Bruce/Nicholls/Popli all 25-27 and we do need a couple of those to fill a gap in one format or another.

fekima

Cricket Spectator
Disappointing from Bennett maybe he is just one of those guys not cut out for the next level, bit harsh but he really needed to take this opportunity as might not get another. Also would really love to see Ferguson playing in the first test, guess there is no one they can drop for him though.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Ferguson certainly due to pitch it up and enjoy some Basin Reserve success, after suffering the Papps 316* and Woodcock 151.

Also, really dry and sunny in Wellington for almost two months now. Look for the Basin to lay on a bit of a rocket of a bouncy Patumahoe deck for the 1st Test, unlike BSO in this warm-up. Ferguson's natural spearing inswing shape wasn't enjoyed by WI's left-handers last evening.

Blain

U19 Captain
Good to see Fergo in the squad, also see Southee is waiting for his first born, and could possibly be ruled out. I sort of hope he does..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
My tolerance for low-res footage has really dropped off in the last couple of years. I'm a bit spoilt these days with my 4K TVs and Willow subscription. I remember the old days when grainy internet footage full of pop-ups from Zimbabwe on a CRT monitor would have me thrilled.