• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in New Zealand 2013/14

jcas0167

International Debutant
Yes I was surprised too that Fleming didn't beat Cairns and McMillan. Checked McMillan's career numbers to that peak date in 2000 and he averaged 42.75 with runs against some fairly good opposition and some bullying of Zimbabwe (though they weren't bad at that point in time either). Believe it or not I used to be a big McMillan fan, but a lot went awry in the second half of his career.
Who wasn't a big McMillan fan back in the mid-late 90's? He was dynamic. Still remember him casually lofting Warne for six at the Gabba to bring up his debut test 50. I think his diabetes and eyesight issues (shifted to contacts about 2000?) curtailed his progress a bit. Also, when he started playing the reverse sweep rather than powering it down the ground.

He actually ended on a pretty high note, starrig in the 2007 Chappell/Hadlee and the T20 World Cup that year.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Great 100 Ross! Besides the early let off this has been a wonderfully calm and controlled knock.

Getting pretty tired of all these **** dismissals from our batsmen. A couple more before stumps and WI will have weaseled their way back into it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Getting extremely close to moving beyond the "extremely likely to go past Fleming in my estimation before he retires" category into "better than Fleming even if he retired right now" territory. Still don't think I'm quite prepared to make the call though.

Mike5181

International Captain
Getting extremely close to moving beyond the "extremely likely to go past Fleming in my estimation before he retires" category into "better than Fleming even if he retired right now" territory. Still don't think I'm quite prepared to make the call though.
I rated Fleming slightly higher before this series, but Taylor's definitely past him now.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Who wasn't a big McMillan fan back in the mid-late 90's? He was dynamic. Still remember him casually lofting Warne for six at the Gabba to bring up his debut test 50. I think his diabetes and eyesight issues (shifted to contacts about 2000?) curtailed his progress a bit. Also, when he started playing the reverse sweep rather than powering it down the ground.

He actually ended on a pretty high note, starrig in the 2007 Chappell/Hadlee and the T20 World Cup that year.
Yes having learned a bit about diabetes in recent years (not from personal experience though) I now have a lot of sympathy for him having to deal with that - would have been genuinely difficult and unpleasant.

That point on reverse sweeps is fair too - I remember commentators saying time and time again that McMillan was much better when he tried to hit in front of square (as he did early in his career), but for many of those later years he just wanted to play cute guides and nudges and reverse sweeps... and kept getting out to them.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
cricinfo said:
Arun: "Very odd that Ross Taylor is as old as Alastair Cook, made his test debut roughly a year after Cook, been the leading batsman for his team much like Cook and yet has only played half the number of tests Cook has."
Yes, it's very odd that people haven't noticed England play more Test matches than New Zealand.

Flem274*

123/5
There's no comparison. Fleming could be a genius but unfortunately he only managed 9 tons in 107 tests, and more often than not got out after getting a start. Taylor makes the big scores, has 10 test hundreds and he's "only" 29 having played for 6 years. He's fitted Fleming's career in half a career and has a good 5+ years left to really be something quite special for New Zealand.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Needs to score 275* obv

If so, Flem should change his username :)

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
hmmm, don't cut loose too much now Rossco. Need you to be there at the end of the day. Plus, there's another double on offer...

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Wish the new radiosport Listen Live stream didn't require Flash - so annoying how it keeps shuddering and dying in Chrome.