• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in India

Who is a better option for India at No. 6 for the WI series?

• Total voters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Couple of questions/ points.

Firstly, it's just occurred to me that with Dhoni's middle name being Singh, he doesn't wear a patka(sp?). Is he a Sikh?

Secondly, the delay means they'll start at 8 am tomorrow. This seems insanely early. The players should be having breakfast at that hour, shouldn't they?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Firstly, it's just occurred to me that with Dhoni's middle name being Singh, he doesn't wear a patka(sp?). Is he a Sikh?
pagri (turban)?

No, only sardars wear turbans traditionally. All Singhs are not sardars, but all sardars are Singhs.

abmk

State 12th Man
Regarding Sehwag and Yuvraj as test bowlers, there is no comparision whatsoever. Sehwag is miles better. Sehwag just hasn't been bowling much off late as he has had shoulder problems.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Secondly, the delay means they'll start at 8 am tomorrow. This seems insanely early. The players should be having breakfast at that hour, shouldn't they?
He is Hindu (or at least was born a Hindu - no idea if he is practicing). Also, not all Sikhs wear turbans - e.g Yuvraj Singh. Ravi Bopara is Sikh, as is Yuvraj Singh, but AFAIK neither of them wear one.

biased indian

International Coach

dawn start much early in kolkatta compaerd to other indian cities..since india is following only one Time Zone IST.

if we where to have 2 time zone kolkata would have been 1 hour ahead of mumbai...so when compared to toher main india cities it will be 9 AM..

i know for people not from kolkata it wont make much sense to have breakfast at 8 AM

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
pagri (turban)?

No, only sardars wear turbans traditionally. All Singhs are not sardars, but all sardars are Singhs.
He is Hindu (or at least was born a Hindu - no idea if he is practicing). Also, not all Sikhs wear turbans - e.g Yuvraj Singh. Ravi Bopara is Sikh, as is Yuvraj Singh, but AFAIK neither of them wear one.
Thanks for the clarification guys.
Think there are the Rajput Singhs as well. They are not Sikhs even though they are Singhs. Guess Dhoni is one of them.

chicane

State Captain
To differentiate loosely, turban clad Singhs are Punjabi (state), Jats (caste) and Sikh (religion) while some other Singhs like MSD are usually Haryanvi/Jharkhandi, Jaat (note difference) and Hindu.

Anyway, immediately thought this wicket must be a road after seeing Dhoni smashed about 150. Good on him but just don't rate his batting in tests, yet rate his batting in ODIs so high its a bit puzzling.

deerkick

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
To differentiate loosely, turban clad Singhs are Punjabi (state), Jats (caste) and Sikh (religion) while some other Singhs like MSD are usually Haryanvi/Jharkhandi, Jaat (note difference) and Hindu.

Anyway, immediately thought this wicket must be a road after seeing Dhoni smashed about 150. Good on him but just don't rate his batting in tests, yet rate his batting in ODIs so high its a bit puzzling.
just goes to show that batting in tests =/= batting in odis.

i wish selectors could see that and drop yuvraj FFS.

rahane is the future. start him off at 6.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Dhoni's unconventional foot movement and dominant bottomhand make it very difficult for him to be an accomplished test player. However its very diffcult to replace the Keeper-Batsman-Captain combo that Dhoni brings to the table. All his replacements are even poorer test batsmen even though they are better test keepers

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
Thought it was great to see Dravid batting in a cap yesterday. Suited him, he's a bit of a throwback really. Class innings, he seemed very angry at getting out. Seeing how the innings has progressed I guess he had his eye on a GrandDaddy hundred.

chicane

State Captain
just goes to show that batting in tests =/= batting in odis.

i wish selectors could see that and drop yuvraj FFS.

rahane is the future. start him off at 6.
Yuvraj looked good enough to be persisted with to be fair, been a huge disappointment. Doesn't deserve it anymore however.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Dhoni's unconventional foot movement and dominant bottomhand make it very difficult for him to be an accomplished test player. However its very diffcult to replace the Keeper-Batsman-Captain combo that Dhoni brings to the table. All his replacements are even poorer test batsmen even though they are better test keepers
no way is Parthiv a better keeper than Dhoni or DK or Saha.

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
Is Jadeja going to be given a chance as a Test player for India?

I only ask because he's in the same team as our summer pro, so have clocked that he got a 300 in his last match and a 5fer in his current one. His 1st class stats look pretty decent.

miscer

U19 Cricketer
1 up in a home series against wi. Laxman at 170ish, batting at a brisk pace, we are overwhelmingly ahead and have all the time in the world, why not let the man get his 200?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He injured his back a bit when he hit that last boundary. So there was no point carrying on and risk him aggravate that pain.