• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies In Australia

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought it was not out in real time.

The replays showed conclusively that it was not out.

The only reason it was given was because Bowden thought it was out.

The whole point of the referral system was to eliminate errors made by the on field umpire.

Bowden made an error that was not eliminated, despite the referral system being used.

Ergo there is a problem with the referral system as it currently stands.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hope we still live in that world. Or at a minimum at least believe the batsman hit it.
If you only ever appealed when you were 100% sure it was out, you're the most ethical fast bowler I've ever heard of, read about or played with.

Son Of Coco

Has anyone asked Roach if he hit it yet?
I'm pretty sure I heard one of the Australian players say 'Just ask the batsman' while they were standing around waiting. So, technically, yes :happy:

It'll be interesting to hear what he says. He'll inevitably be asked at some stage I'd imagine.

stephen

I don't have access to all the evidence, as I was not standing where Bowden was.
So your reasoning is that Bowden gave him out so he must have been out, despite having no evidence to suggest that Bowden was correct.

That is circular logic. I do not know how anyone, on the strength of those replays could NOT overturn the umpires decision.

So your reasoning is that Bowden gave him out so he must have been out, despite having no evidence to suggest that Bowden was correct.

That is circular logic. I do not know how anyone, on the strength of those replays could NOT overturn the umpires decision.
There was evidence on the snicko that the bat hit the ball. It was a small snick but was registered on snicko.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
But it is still evidence that the ball hit the bat.

I know its only because Australia were involved but more mountains are being made from these molehills.
Maybe but it is still a sour finish and needless controversy at the end of an entertaining series.

stephen

There was evidence on the snicko that the bat hit the ball. It was a small snick but was registered on snicko.
I saw the snicko evidence and it was extremely unconvincing. It was a very different shape to what a nick appears like. My best guess is that it was his boots on the ground or clicking against each other.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Great Test match pitch, too. Still a bit there for bowlers who hit the seam throughout the Test, as shown by the number of starts made and guys getting out to decent balls.

stephen

The best team won, one decision in the overall scheme of things means nothing.
Correct.

Still, it's worth discussing how the referral system can be improved as this decision, despite the circumstances in the game, highlights that it is not perfect.