• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tour Matches

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty disappointing stuff. Could see SA put 400+ on the board. Would have thought they would have rotated the seamers here and gone for the full blown test XI against Aus A, particularly given how the Adelaide Oval is renowned for being the flattest wicket in Aus.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good enough,Bell and Colly got runs and the bowlers get time out there tomorrow.That'll do.

Funny how England get slagged off for their batting yet nobody mentioned that Ponting,Watson,Hughes,Khawaja and Haddin all failed.Only Clarke has scored decent runs this week so far.
Yeah but 'any time in the middle is good time' has limits. Scoring that few against the second-string of one of the worst attacks in the country...... Even Edmonson managed to go for < 4 per over!

That Collingwood scored with such ease sorta suggests it was a placid deck to bat on (unlike the others interstate). If I was in the English line-up, would definitely feel like I missed out on a big opportunity to cash in.

If they'd smashed WA, it'd be less cause for worry but that's two pretty ordinary displays in a row against bowling which could best be described as journeyman. Worrying signs for England's batting line-up. Luckily for them, the Aussie batting is looking ordinary as well.

Spark

Global Moderator
WA attack was barely above club standard wasn't it? Looked up the FC stats of their bowlers, more than a slight eyebrow raise there.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hobart was a greentop and then some.

SCG is a pretty dead pitch though. Not very good application from NSW bar Clarke.
Why are Hobart and Brisbane soooooooooo much more flatter at test level than FC level? It's time we need some greentops at test level imo.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good enough,Bell and Colly got runs and the bowlers get time out there tomorrow.That'll do.

Funny how England get slagged off for their batting yet nobody mentioned that Ponting,Watson,Hughes,Khawaja and Haddin all failed.Only Clarke has scored decent runs this week so far.
Well, they've been 4/5 for not that many twice now. Adelaide's usually not a minefield. If 'time in the middle' for some of the batsmen in each match translates into 2 for 200-odd in Brisbane then it's obviously no issue.

You don't really want to make a habit of being 100/5 though, Australia can testify to that.

It's entirely possible they'll step it up come Brisbane. Not sure why people are supposed to be impressed so far though.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I don't think we can read too much into losing a few wickets in these 3-day games.

They are all after a result, playing positively and aggressively. Look at Collingwood's score, 94 from 116, he normally gets to 94 from about 200 balls.

It's good to know that they are after the win rather than not losing.

I don't think it was a really encouraging display, but it was decent. I wouldn't underestimate the State sides, either. They are much stronger than county teams.

In 2009, Australia were 5/114 against Sussex in their first game, they recovered, scored some steady runs and drew a 4-day match. The Lions game was an equally tedious draw.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think this just shows the importance of having these tour games more than anything else. Imagine if these two games had been the first two Tests? England would be ****ed. As it is they've given themselves some time to acclimatise and they still have another game and a half left to get it right before Brisbane.

TumTum

Banned
Why are Hobart and Brisbane soooooooooo much more flatter at test level than FC level? It's time we need some greentops at test level imo.
IMO it's just the recent weather we've been having. Should see a seamer's paradise at Gabba at least.

Woodster

International Captain
I understand all Aussies questiong the England batting line-up, but as I said during the first tour match, let's maintain a degree ot realism here. Yes they are important in terms of preparation, time in the middle, bowlers getting overs into the legs etc, and yes they will be doing our utmost to win the game, but games against WA and SA are in no comparison to an Ashes Test in terms of intensity and concentration required. The England camp are saying all the right things, but you know it's a warm-up game and doesn't mean a whole heap, the intensity of an Ashes battle cannot be replicated in such games.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Aside from Cook, everyone has had at least got a start at some point.

Are there highlights on the ECB site again?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In 2009, Australia were 5/114 against Sussex in their first game, they recovered, scored some steady runs and drew a 4-day match. The Lions game was an equally tedious draw.
Yes, and that Ashes campaign turned out well. Am hoping this goes the same way for England. :happy:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yes, and that Ashes campaign turned out well. Am hoping this goes the same way for England. :happy:
Exactly, my point is that treating each game like a Test and grinding out big runs is not a better way to prepare for a tour. England are playing more aggressively and going for the win. It hasn't worked out perfectly but it's good to see.