• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at Edgbaston

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
Looks like tomorrow may finish early so they shouldn't worry about declaring and giving India an hour or so (a tactic pretty well irrelevant anyway given the amount of time left in the game).

Just bat tomorrow, nowt else to worry about for now.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
what could england possibly gain from piling on 1000 runs?

Undisputed No.1 team has to be more ruthless.
Please don't try straw man arguments, they're even more boring than watching India try to get us out. No one ever said we should get 1000 (as much fun as that would be).

The only way we can lose this is being set a fifth-day chase on a raging turner. Take it out of the equation, bat when the track is easiest and the opposition demoralised, and make the win a certainty. That is ruthlessness.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cook is in an incredible purple patch at the moment. Since the start of 2010 he's averaging 66.7 with 9 hundreds and 6 fifties. Incredible.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I am ****ting at the thought of what England will do to Pakistan this winter don't even have an Aamer now to keep us fleetingly in the game.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I am ****ting at the thought of what England will do to Pakistan this winter don't even have an Aamer now to keep us fleetingly in the game.
Well i think we'll win but until we know what the pitches are like i have no idea what will happen in the games.

hazsa19

International Regular
what could england possibly gain from piling on 1000 runs?

Undisputed No.1 team has to be more ruthless.
It doesn't get more ruthless than a 500 run lead with 2 days of play remaining.

Declaring with a lead of 350, and leaving them even a 1% chance of victory is not ruthless, it's stupid.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Please don't try straw man arguments, they're even more boring than watching India try to get us out. No one ever said we should get 1000 (as much fun as that would be).
some people are saying that they should bat the whole day, so if they do, they will have 850+...

believe me india won't really try to dismiss england. they'll bowl raina alot

india are already completely demoralized. england batting for another 3.5 sessions won't matter much.

they already know it's 3-0 unless there's some rain later on.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
It doesn't get more ruthless than a 500 run lead with 2 days of play remaining.

Declaring with a lead of 350, and leaving them even a 1% chance of victory is not ruthless, it's stupid.
cough

batting for half a day will give england another 200-220 runs, so that is a total lead of close to 450....

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
cough

with time delaying tactics, India wouldn't bowl more than 35/40 overs in a day. 220 would be something.
yea right.

indian bowlers are tired so you'll see more of mishra and raina.

bat for 45 overs at 5 an over. hardly a big task considering the explosiveness of the middle/lower order.

they managed to score a run a ball on day 4 of the last test.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Any talk of scoring 1000 is complete nonsense. I would rather like to see 700 on the board as I've never seen us make that many and we've never had a completed innings in the 700's.