• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
zverev also out, ideally tsitsipas and medvedev would lose as well but unfortunately one of them will likely win...anyway the worst ****ers are gone, now we have a reasonably decent aussie open!

Niall

International Coach
I have put money on Saba again because its a rollercoaster that I don't want to end.

Going to be absolute scenes if Kai ****ing Kanepi beats her in the morning.

FAA still in this event, but for not much longer sadly, LOL at any chance of him beating Cilic and Med back to back.

Niall

International Coach
Cressy is a bit of a limited serve bot isn't he? So yeah if that was not on the main court I can understand why.

He has had a very kind draw yet again, he only has 2 matches of any difficulty left, against Sinner/Tsitsipas and then a final v whoever.

He had the same fortune in the US Open so yeah he should be loving life right now.

Ladies side is wild, but I want Barty to win this rather than someone random.

Yep surprises are great etc, but I think the ladies game needs a somewhat dominant player like her winning regularly because she is clearly the best player in the world. 2 grand slams so far in her career is nice , but as someone is comfortable on all courts she probably could have won more by now.

Swiatek would be ok I suppose, but not keen on Barbara , way to keen on lengthy toilet breaks to disrupt opponents momentum for my liking. :detective

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I have put money on Saba again because its a rollercoaster that I don't want to end.

Going to be absolute scenes if Kai ****ing Kanepi beats her in the morning.
You must be feeling really rich to throw away your money like that…:)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
sorry wasn't trying to make you miserable...but you have to know by now that you will lose more money than you will win by backing her...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Cressy is a bit of a limited serve bot isn't he? So yeah if that was not on the main court I can understand why.

He has had a very kind draw yet again, he only has 2 matches of any difficulty left, against Sinner/Tsitsipas and then a final v whoever.

He had the same fortune in the US Open so yeah he should be loving life right now.

Ladies side is wild, but I want Barty to win this rather than someone random.

Yep surprises are great etc, but I think the ladies game needs a somewhat dominant player like her winning regularly because she is clearly the best player in the world. 2 grand slams so far in her career is nice , but as someone is comfortable on all courts she probably could have won more by now.

Swiatek would be ok I suppose, but not keen on Barbara , way to keen on lengthy toilet breaks to disrupt opponents momentum for my liking. :detective
yeah i think barty should win this from here on, hope keys takes out krejcikova...thing about swiatek is she gets broken too often even in matches she wins comfortably, i feel her 2nd serve is an exploitable weakness and the margin of error is significantly less when she plays really aggressive and/or consistent players...

Niall

International Coach
Pretty woeful performance from Barbara that, she is not bad but I don't think it reflects well on the tour that this lass has won a slam (kind draw) an is so high in the rankings.

Happy for Keys however, her v Barty could be a good semi final tbf.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
yeah keys has the game and the quality to win a major although her career has been an extremely bumpy ride thus far...

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I earmarked Berrettini as the next generation likely to win most majors after his performances at the French, Queens and Wimbledon last year. He just has a very solid all surface game with a bit of added flair.
It would be quite funny if Rafa wins here though and gets ahead of his two mates.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pretty woeful performance from Barbara that, she is not bad but I don't think it reflects well on the tour that this lass has won a slam (kind draw) an is so high in the rankings.

Happy for Keys however, her v Barty could be a good semi final tbf.
Don't agree at all about barbora, she was clearly suffering from the heat last night, but I've been impressed by her quality of play since the French Open.

Swiatek-barty is a pretty good final if it happens. Obviously if it's Cornet Keys that will not surprise anyone, but that won't be without drama. Cornet-Collins could be a riot tonight, 2 players not slow on the dramatics.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Don't agree at all about barbora, she was clearly suffering from the heat last night, but I've been impressed by her quality of play since the French Open.
she has been very consistent since the french last year but does she really look like a player who will be a threat at every slam for years to come?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
she has been very consistent since the french last year but does she really look like a player who will be a threat at every slam for years to come?
Why not? She's not spectacular, but because of her doubles success she has a decent all-court game, just like Barty. Can return, can volley, solid strokes on both side, she's not exciting or have massive weapons, but she is better than Kenin for instance.

Yet I don't expect her to be number 1, but she's a decent top 10 player, which all tours have.

Clay will be her best surface, but she obviously plays well on hard-court.

Niall

International Coach
I dunno if Barbara reads this thread, but I would suggest sacking off the doubles going forward , she has won every title their and it can't be great on the body playing both formats. She has looked somewhat lifeless in some of her losses.

Iga probably would rather avoid Collins, very aggressive players like her can be kryptonite. Kanepi obviously similarly powerful but would assume Swiatek has enough craft to get over the line.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Why not? She's not spectacular, but because of her doubles success she has a decent all-court game, just like Barty. Can return, can volley, solid strokes on both side, she's not exciting or have massive weapons, but she is better than Kenin for instance.

Yet I don't expect her to be number 1, but she's a decent top 10 player, which all tours have.

Clay will be her best surface, but she obviously plays well on hard-court.
i agree with everything you said but those reasons are exactly why i don't see her as an all-court threat (as an actual contender for a lot of slams in the future)...and i agree with you about kenin...as an american, i am glad she did it but how she won a slam and got into the final of another with her game will forever remain a mystery to me...