• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
On the court it was an awful performance by Norrie. I wouldn't be surprised if Murray won a few rounds but also wouldn't be surprised if he lost in the first round. Either way the standards he's reached at almost 35 with a metal hip after years of injuries is amazing. I think Emma might disappear early, but we'll see.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wouldn't be much fun for a top seed getting him in first or second round before you properly going.

Raducanu started ridiculously winning first set in less than 20 minutes

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It was a difficult match for the Rad. With Sloane Stephens you never know which one is going to turn up. In the first set she barely turned up at all. To win only four points in a set is almost beyond belief. She hit a purple patch in the second set. She wasn't anywhere near as bad in the third set as the first but she very erratic. I see Fernandez dipped out in the first round.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
yeah stephens is notoriously inconsistent and today was a perfect demonstration of that...anyway well done raducanu for going through!

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Tennis Australia doesn't have any jurisdiction to allow/deny people entry to Australia. They have about as much authority to make such decisions as I do.

The reason why the medical exemption wasn't mentioned in the second appeal is the same reason the level select code for Sonic the Hedgehog wasn't mentioned (i.e. it was completely irrelevant to the decision at hand).
He also got an exemption from Victoria government - not federal governmnet but its not Tennis Australia saying you can come and Djokovic doing nothing else and ending up in Australia.

The reason it wasn't mentioned is because they abandoned that argument. The decision in both appeals were whether to deport him or not. They tried to deport him on the basis of his medical exemption and turned this into the huge story that *might* stoke anti-vaccine sentiment. They now go actually we are willing to accept the medical exemption. By extension surely you then accept he was wrongfully detained the first time around. But because of them turning it into this big story where Djokovic remaining *might* stoke anti-vaccine sentiment he has been kicked out of the country.

I said it was noteworthy they abandoned the argument during the 2nd appeal, not that the argument related to the new argument they adopted. If you are convinced the medical exemption wasn't valid, they could've announced intention to deport Djokovic for a 2nd time ASAP and persisted with that argument. Instead, they've effectively gone yeah we're willing to accept we wrongfully detained you before but the anti-vaccine sentiment that you remaining would cause (in no small part down to Australia detaining him and causing this story to blow up.) is why we'll deport you. (Also think its debatable that such sentiment isn't also a factor with him being deported)

If you are really worried about anti-vaccine sentiment, persisting with the medical exemption being invalid is surely a better tactic then accepting his medical exemption and that Djokovic "poses a negligible threat of infecting others". Unless you have doubts regarding the success of your medical exemption argument - which then goes back to them trying to deport him first time around

He might fake having Covid three weeks before again and not screw up in the aftermath next time.
He was kicked out the country because they argued him remaining in the country would stoke anti-vaccine sentiment. Lying about travelling in the 14 days prior, meeting people when he had Covid etc. not a good look but the argument relied on his past statements re vaccination and his perception.

Presuming France have their own rules allowing them to deport someone on 'public interest grounds' there is little stopping the French doing exactly the same as the Australian government did regardless of Djokovic's other actions.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Presuming France have their own rules allowing them to deport someone on 'public interest grounds' there is little stopping the French doing exactly the same as the Australian government did regardless of Djokovic's other actions.
well, you just have to hope they will find a good enough reason to block him from entering france as well...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kyrgios is a complete douche but he’s by far the most entertaining player

Predict that he will either win a random slam like Leconte/Ivanisovic or make a final like Philippoussis

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach

Predict that he will either win a random slam like Leconte/Ivanisovic or make a final like Philippoussis
I hope so, he seems like one of the few players on the tour who would be fun off the court and despite been a pest at times on court he is a good egg. FFS we got a probable domestic abuser 2nd fav to win the event so yeah players like Kyrigos we should cherish.

Dire losses for Emma and Murray today, both lost to players who are bang. average. com.

Mugu also out which was to be expected, been tipped by many in good form , nice draw was always going to end in tears.

Saba though still going, might have to back her now for the LOLS.

FAA still involved but won't be going much further it seems sadly.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member

Leconte never won a random slam. I don’t think Kyrgious will either, but we’ll see.
No big surprise for Muzza and Emma to get beaten. They’re both at a period of inconsistency for different reasons.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Medvedev got the Djokovic treatment from the crowd against Nick and he didn't take it well, lmao

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I hope so, he seems like one of the few players on the tour who would be fun off the court and despite been a pest at times on court he is a good egg. FFS we got a probable domestic abuser 2nd fav to win the event so yeah players like Kyrigos we should cherish.

Dire losses for Emma and Murray today, both lost to players who are bang. average. com.

Mugu also out which was to be expected, been tipped by many in good form , nice draw was always going to end in tears.

Saba though still going, might have to back her now for the LOLS.

FAA still involved but won't be going much further it seems sadly.
emma had some problems with blisters which likely contributed to her loss...

muguruza has been like for a couple of years now, doing well at the non-majors only to disappoint at the big ones where she goes in with high expectations...

sabalenka still has opportunities to disappoint her fans and i think she will embrace those opportunities at some point these two weeks...

i get that kyrgios compares favorably to that piece of **** zverev but cherishing him still feels like a huge and unnecessary leap, no? :)

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
emma had some problems with blisters which likely contributed to her loss...

muguruza has been like for a couple of years now, doing well at the non-majors only to disappoint at the big ones where she goes in with high expectations...

sabalenka still has opportunities to disappoint her fans and i think she will embrace those opportunities at some point these two weeks...

i get that kyrgios compares favorably to that piece of **** zverev but cherishing him still feels like a huge and unnecessary leap, no? :)
Yeah maybe over the top with Nick that's fair.

I think along with Monfils he is the biggest wasted talent on the men side in the last few decades. Both absolutely gifted players but mentally very weak.

Amusingly Monfils has a kind draw so heh who knows!