• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not making excuses for him & especially not for him crying (FFS, Rodge, stiff upper lip and all that), but it must be hard for anyone when you've owned the world for ages and then you fall ill to discover on your recovery that this upstart has your number and just won't lie down.
I'm not criticising Roger getting angry on court at all. Two of my favourite players were Goran Ivanisevic and Marat Safin, two of the angriest men on court that I can remember. As long as the players don't get angry at lines-people I never really care.

Just commenting how its probably the best example (other than Rafa's superior head to head record vs. Roger of course) of Rafa's superiority to Roger.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Btw has anyone seen the new JetStar ad with Jelena Dokic?

By new I mean the same old ad with two random scenes of Dokic, poorly videoed with **** lighting, talking to the camera without looking at it properly?

Possibly the most amateurish ad I've ever seen on prime time TV. Disgraceful. Talk about trying to cash in while she's hot, but failing miserably.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm not criticising Roger getting angry on court at all. Two of my favourite players were Goran Ivanisevic and Marat Safin, two of the angriest men on court that I can remember. As long as the players don't get angry at lines-people I never really care.

Just commenting how its probably the best example (other than Rafa's superior head to head record vs. Roger of course) of Rafa's superiority to Roger.
Yeah, totally agree. Break point conversion is the crucial stat in that final. Fed got so tight on the big points.

My tuppeny toss cod-psych theory is that Rodge was unchallenged for so long it's done funny things to his mind now there's someone on his level.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Possibly true.

I guess the signs were there in 2005/06 that Rafa could take it all the way to Federer... but one felt Roger would still have his number (on non-clay events), at least for the next few years.

I know that I was so confident of Roger beating Rafa in the 2007 Wimbledon final that I laid an unadvisably large amount on that match, and got the shock of my life when Rafa took him to the brink (even in that 5th set, the scoreline doesn't show how close Roger came to losing). Even in the 2006 Wimbledon final I kept telling everyone to get on Roger to win in 3 sets, yet he won in 4, and really that should have been a 5-setter if not for Nadal's inexperience.

It was from 2007 onwards that I really began to think Nadal has what it takes to beat Roger, and with Djokovic on the rise too, I had a feeling Federer would come back to the pack.

Its almost like people still refuse to believe it though. A lot of money was put on Roger both in the 2008 Wimbledon final, and last night's Aust Open final. Rafa blew out to over $2 in the Wimbledon final, and even hit $2.50 last night for the Aust Open title! A bit unbelievable for a guy that had a 11-6 and 12-6 win record against him respectively at the time. Its 13-6 now, and only going to grow you think come the clay court season.

Isolator

State 12th Man
Federer's lucky that in Murray, Djokovic and Tsonga he has a few people he can rely on to knock Nadal out every now and then. He can't do it himself, at least not now. Too much of a bogeyman.

Nadal - jeesus. What an athlete. I've always despised him but now I just can't hold back the admiration. This man is an utter champion.

Isolator

State 12th Man
Nadal's topspin puts way more strain on Federer's backhand, he has to hit them from above shoulder height in open play and on the return of serve they're swinging away from his raquet. Doesn't help when his backhand return is his weaker side.
Also helps that Federer is too stubborn/stupid to play the sliced backhand to the high ball, it's pretty much the only reasonable shot. ... But on the other hand, on a broader level, I think Federer has to do away with reasonableness now, he has to just go for his shots, take chances and forget about losing. At least against Nadal.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nadal could win three grand slams this year, I think he's pretty much always going to find it hard to win the US Open, given the way he plays we have seen every year he is busted by September so it's going to take a massive effort to be at the top of his game come that time.

howardj

International Coach
I love the high camera shot they show from time to time. It gives you an idea of just how hard these guys hit the ball; and gives you therefore an appreciation of their amazing ability.

Burgey

Another great game from two great players. Fantastic stuff to watch and well done to both.

On the Fed's tears, I suspect it maybe had more to do with all the past greats on the court, as well as the obvious disappointment. IIRC he bawled when Laver presented him with the trophy a few years ago as well.

Anyway, two things tennis has to do to improve:

1. lefties must start a service game from the Ad. court, not the deuce court, and I'm saying that as a leftie myself.
2. they must ban the two handed backhand, which isnt a backhand at all, but rather a half backhand, half forehand :ph34r:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Nadal could win three grand slams this year, I think he's pretty much always going to find it hard to win the US Open, given the way he plays we have seen every year he is busted by September so it's going to take a massive effort to be at the top of his game come that time.
If he has 3 majors coming into the US Summer, he's going to make sure he's right for it.

Simon

Yeh probably a fair comment, not impossible either. Injuries aside they may as well give him the French Open trophy now and Wimbledon is between he and Roger and its looking more and more likely that Roger is having serious mental issues playing Rafa, so having 3 grand slams heading into the US is entirely possible.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Also he won't be gunning for the #1 rank by trying to win every Masters and 250 ATP tournaments now. He's well ahead of Roger, and doesn't need the points as much.

Additionally, no Olympics this year.

He should have enough time to be able to peak come the US Open. Long way to go now, but he has a chance.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Federer would've cried more if he'd won, but to me, what was he crying about? That he had all those break points and wasn't good enough to convert them? Does he really need reminding that he's a great champion and everyone's favourite player? He's always said he wants a worthy challenger and now it looks like he can't handle one.

Burgey

Federer would've cried more if he'd won, but to me, what was he crying about? That he had all those break points and wasn't good enough to convert them? Does he really need reminding that he's a great champion and everyone's favourite player? He's always said he wants a worthy challenger and now it looks like he can't handle one.
Really harsh IMO.

Can't recall reading or hearing any comment made by Federer about Nadal other than one which is gracious and complimentary. Same goes for Nadal towards Federer. It's much easier to mouth nice platitudes about your opponent when you're winning all the time, but Federer's been every bit as gracious re. Nadal even as the latter has gotten the better of him.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's the fact that he grunts with every shot, makes it all look such a struggle (in contrast to Fed, who when he was at the zenith won with the apparent effortlessness of a Corinthian god), those ****ing annoying bicep pulls to celebrate &, crucially, those upturned nostrils that give him an unfortunate rodentine look.

Plus he's Federer's nemesis and I love our Rodge.
Speaking of grunting, I had to laugh during the Ladies doubles final at one point. The Williams sisters were at the net, volleying (not even swinging a bit, just volleying), yet they were both letting rip with ear piercing screams :laugh:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Speaking of grunting, I had to laugh during the Ladies doubles final at one point. The Williams sisters were at the net, volleying (not even swinging a bit, just volleying), yet they were both letting rip with ear piercing screams :laugh:
Haha, slices are even weirder for the grunt.

Never see anyone grunt drop shots. They should, to try and fox the opponent.

funnygirl

State Regular
wow what a match .Every second of it weighs in gold.Yes Federer, emotion took the better off him in the last set.It looks like he is having a mental block against Nadal.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Really harsh IMO.

Can't recall reading or hearing any comment made by Federer about Nadal other than one which is gracious and complimentary. Same goes for Nadal towards Federer. It's much easier to mouth nice platitudes about your opponent when you're winning all the time, but Federer's been every bit as gracious re. Nadal even as the latter has gotten the better of him.
Yeah, but Nadal had no choice but to be gracioius and have another muted celebration. He even apologised for winning. Thirteen times a runner-up has watched Federer raise the trophy etc., and as hard as it might be for Federer to lose a GS final, he ought to be more composed than that. Why should Rafa feel guilty? Or if he doesn't feel guilty, why should he be subdued? If Federer had won, I'm sure Rafa wouldn't have done that.