• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Never seen Federer's backhand be so ****.
Spot the man who's never watched a French Open.

Nadal's topspin puts way more strain on Federer's backhand, he has to hit them from above shoulder height in open play and on the return of serve they're swinging away from his raquet. Doesn't help when his backhand return is his weaker side.

Gutted that I missed the presentations now.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Really can't abide Nadal still, but he's a great player. Think he'll join Laver, Budge, Perry, Emerson & Agassi as having won all 4 slams. Could even go a GS this year as will be hard to shift at Wimbledon and impossible to beat on clay. Just needs to not meet Murray at the US.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Nadal's topspin puts way more strain on Federer's backhand, he has to hit them from above shoulder height in open play and on the return of serve they're swinging away from his raquet. Doesn't help when his backhand return is his weaker side.

Sadly, this is true. Think I've only ever seen about 3 matches of the French in the past 3 years, none of which have involved Roger.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really can't abide Nadal still, but he's a great player. Think he'll join Laver, Budge, Perry, Emerson & Agassi as having won all 4 slams. Could even go a GS this year as will be hard to shift at Wimbledon and impossible to beat on clay. Just needs to not meet Murray at the US.
I don't really see it happening. He's world number 1 because of his consistency and fitness (which won him this match in the end) but there are players who can more than match him when they perform at their peak, bar on clay. Over the course of four grand slams surely someone has to put in a top-class performance and knock him out.

Uppercut

Pretty much, yeah. Rafa's game is well suited to beating Federer's, just like Federer is tailor-made to own Roddick.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Why don't you like Nadal? He's gotta be the most gracious champion in the history of tennis.
It's the fact that he grunts with every shot, makes it all look such a struggle (in contrast to Fed, who when he was at the zenith won with the apparent effortlessness of a Corinthian god), those ****ing annoying bicep pulls to celebrate &, crucially, those upturned nostrils that give him an unfortunate rodentine look.

Plus he's Federer's nemesis and I love our Rodge.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Do find that creepy. That left arm is massive for anyone other than a prowrestler however.

Liked last year when Courier got Federer to admit that when he plays tennis on Xbox, he plays as Nadal, because he "wants the muscle" :laugh:

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
It's the fact that he grunts with every shot, makes it all look such a struggle (in contrast to Fed, who when he was at the zenith won with the apparent effortlessness of a Corinthian god), those ****ing annoying bicep pulls to celebrate &, crucially, those upturned nostrils that give him an unfortunate rodentine look.

Plus he's Federer's nemesis and I love our Rodge.
As much as I like Federer, I find it hard to hate or dislike Nadal. In fact, I kinda thought Federer crying took the sheen off Nadal's win.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
As much as I like Federer, I find it hard to hate or dislike Nadal. In fact, I kinda thought Federer crying took the sheen off Nadal's win.
I don't understand how people don't like Rafa. Unlike almost every other men's player, he's barely ever uttered an arrogant word in his life, and he's so gracious when he wins, and gracious in defeat as well.

I remember how he barely celebrated his 2008 French Open win over Roger because he knew he'd already humiliated him on court and didn't need to, nor want to, rub it in. Also his post-match comments after Djokovic's ****ty comment at the 2006 French Open that even though he was 2 sets down, he felt like he was in a better position to win the match before he retired because of injury. Nadal just shrugged them off and said he can believe what he likes.

Roger's crying was weird. Obviously meant a lot to him to equal Sampras' record, and in front of Laver, Rosewell and the other legends too. It'll possibly be talked about more than Rafa, but to the real tennis fans, this tournament should be remembered for Nadal's marathon semi-final and final back-up.

Supreme athlete, supremely skilled and amazingly gracious. Love him :)

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As much as I love Roger and how incredbibly complete his game is, Rafa is the personification of everything I love about sport. The heart he shows and bonafide ice that runs through his veins during the big moments is awe inspiring.

So chuffed for him, if there's anyone on the tour who I'd want to win "The Slam" it's him. Greatest bloke.

Uppercut

Do find that creepy. That left arm is massive for anyone other than a prowrestler however.

Liked last year when Courier got Federer to admit that when he plays tennis on Xbox, he plays as Nadal, because he "wants the muscle" :laugh:
:laugh: That's brilliant.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Roger's crying was weird. Obviously meant a lot to him to equal Sampras' record, and in front of Laver, Rosewell and the other legends too. It'll possibly be talked about more than Rafa, but to the real tennis fans, this tournament should be remembered for Nadal's marathon semi-final and final back-up.
As much as you can guess at these things from an armchair in front of the telly, I think Rog probably feels that his legacy is on the line in the next twelve months - foolish as that idea is. After last year, he's been almost written off in a lot of corners, but from what you read, feels that people didn't appreciate how much his health issues impacted him. After winning the US he would have felt an enormous vindication that he wasn't finished, but would go into this year thinking that if he doesn't win a major and/or beat Nadal in a big match, he won't have silenced the doubters.

Nadal himself must be becoming a bigger and bigger bogeyman to Federer as well. No-one else he's met takes his game on and beats it the way Rafa does - having just read Gilchrist autobiog. talking about how Flintoff did that to him at the 05 Ashes, stuff like that can certainly build up in a guy's mind and become self perpetuating. He certainly looked much more hesitant and uncomfortable than I've seen him look before tonight, and Courier was saying during the match that Nadal is the only guy against whom Federer ever looks upset on court, during the match.

I think also, after crushing people in the QF and SF, and watching Nadal's SF, he would have maybe had in the back of his mind that this was his best chance to take Nadal down and regain his position as THE guy (in his own mind).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Courier was saying during the match that Nadal is the only guy against whom Federer ever looks upset on court, during the match.
Yep, I was telling my mates that tonight.

I've seen Roger lose to Canas, Murray, Mardy Fish, Stepanek etc. over the last two years, and he very rarely gets agitated and angry at himself.

But against Rafa he really gets frustrated and visible angry, both when he makes unforced errors, and sometimes when he fails to put away a winner because Rafa runs down a ball and hits a winner that another player wouldn't be able to get to.

Its all mental. I've always been a Roger fan, as most tennis fans are, and defended him heavily against Sanz who always says Roger hasn't faced the opponents that Sampras faced in his time. But one thing is for sure, whether or not Roger passes Sampras' amount of majors (and IMO he will nab two more before his career comes to an end), its going to be hard to call him greater than Sampras (even though Nadal does :p) considering Roger will have had a substantial losing record against the best player of his generation. Sampras didn't have that with Agassi.

Very curious to see how Nadal's legacy will go down. Depends on whether his body holds up, but you know the desire is there. Could surpass them both, who knows.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yep, I was telling my mates that tonight.

I've seen Roger lose to Canas, Murray, Mardy Fish, Stepanek etc. over the last two years, and he very rarely gets agitated and angry at himself.

But against Rafa he really gets frustrated and visible angry, both when he makes unforced errors, and sometimes when he fails to put away a winner because Rafa runs down a ball and hits a winner that another player wouldn't be able to get to.
Not making excuses for him & especially not for him crying (FFS, Rodge, stiff upper lip and all that), but it must be hard for anyone when you've owned the world for ages and then you fall ill to discover on your recovery that this upstart has your number and just won't lie down.