• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know he’s Australian and we’re supposed to support our own but I can’t get too invested in De Minaur

Probably a great guy but it’s all a bit bland to me

Son Of Coco

Stayed in the same hotel as him once and he couldn’t have been nicer

Pat Cash - now there’s a ****
Kyrgios seems like a nice bloke off the court generally. He's certainly one of the more entertaining characters on the Netflix series. There was one particular scene where he was chatting to some of the attendants at Wimbledon, and they were all having a laugh about him suggesting he was thinking of going into music and that one attendant might be his backing singer that made me think he was a pretty decent guy.

Niall

International Coach
This is why De Minaur, despite his ranking, doesn't hit the heights of Kyrgios at his best. He works his arse off, and plays consistently well, but he doesn't have the ceiling that allows him to compete against the best players in grand slams.

If Kyrgios worked half as hard as De Minaur, he would have won a handful of grand slams.
De Minaur is a basically a very cheap version of David Ferrer. If he was to win Slam, they should shut down tennis IMO.
Looking at the ladies , seems like its Gauff v Saba , I'd give the edge to the American simply because Saba always finds a way to blow it. Zheng probably the best of the rest but was a mess the other night.

On the men's side looks like we get Sinner v Novak semi final, which could be immense. Alcarez the fav to come through the other side but not sure he is quite at the level needed to win this.

social

Kyrgios seems like a nice bloke off the court generally. He's certainly one of the more entertaining characters on the Netflix series. There was one particular scene where he was chatting to some of the attendants at Wimbledon, and they were all having a laugh about him suggesting he was thinking of going into music and that one attendant might be his backing singer that made me think he was a pretty decent guy.
We were at a hotel with masses of kids & he was just relaxing

Selfies, autographs, playing with them - nothing was too much trouble

Years ago, I was a parking valet at a Sydney hotel during a tennis tournament

McEnroe was also very gracious and far nicer than many of the guests I heard badmouthing him

Seems obvious but don’t always believe media spin on celebrities

grecian

We were at a hotel with masses of kids & he was just relaxing

Selfies, autographs, playing with them - nothing was too much trouble

Years ago, I was a parking valet at a Sydney hotel during a tennis tournament

McEnroe was also very gracious and far nicer than many of the guests I heard badmouthing him

Seems obvious but don’t always believe media spin on celebrities
or he could have been just having a good day when he wasn't assulting one of his girlfriends.

social

grecian

he pleaded guilty to an assault, you wanna defend him fair enough, but the bloke is pure trash in my opinion.

social

he pleaded guilty to an assault, you wanna defend him fair enough, but the bloke is pure trash in my opinion.
He pleaded guilty to get it over & done with

Judge didn’t record a conviction because it was a low level thing

Read the background - jilted gf pressed charges a year later when he left her for someone else

grecian

He pleaded guilty to get it over & done with

Judge didn’t record a conviction because it was a low level thing

Read the background - jilted gf pressed charges a year later when he left her for someone else
the point here being he doesn't treat women awfully well, see also the vile Vekic thing or cheating on Tomljanović the bloke is a sleazeball, not evil or owt, but just can't understand why people defend a sportsman who just clearly didn't care about the sport or other people in his life because he does a few aw shucks photo opportunities.

kyear2

International Coach
Kyrgios seems to have realised too late he actually wouldn't mind winning a slam. Almost as soon as he got serious, he got injured.

Turns out he was just preserving his body by not giving a ****.
Will never understand how someone with that much talent genuinely seemed not to care.

social

Didn't Daly win a couple majors?

Think that's why Dkoker never seemed to "like" him though. He understood that talent that was being wasted.
He did but that was in between drinking and gambling binges

Not uncommon for him to withdraw from tournaments, get himself disqualified or outright tank

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
George Best, John Daly, Henri Leconte, Etc
To be fair, Best did win a couple of league championships and the European Cup with Man Utd, as well as the Ballon d'Or, before the booze took its toll. It's a matter of record that he was disenchanted with the state of Man Utd in the years after the European Cup win, and that didn't help matters. I have long argued that he would have lasted longer if he'd been English as at least there would have been something to play for at international level.