• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2015

jcas0167

International Debutant
Joel Harden seemingly quite talented with the bat. Son of an English county player or something I think? More riches for Phlegm and Cribb on the way, hot on the heels of Clarkson.
Yep, there was a bit of discussion about his dad and English professionals on the NZ scene in 80/90's.

His father played for CD as an overseas pro when TV One began showing the Shell Cup semis and final on TV.

He was light years ahead of the average NZ domestic player at controlling the middle overs of a one-day innings. Which I assumed at the time was pretty normal for a good English pro, they played a lot of one day cricket, and therefore it was really surprising how bad their national team was at it.

Harden gave me a bit of an inferiority complex on that an average pro nowhere near England selection could look so good in our comp.

Jeet

Cricket Spectator
Pretty fragile batting if that is the case -with an out of form Watling at 6 and Craig slogging at 7.

Really hope they pick Santner and four quicks - slightly better batting and much more controlled bowling.
Santer does look promising

cnerd123

likes this
NZC PRESIDENT'S XI vs SRI LANKA

Here is the scorecard - can one of our experts on spin bowling like ***** - make some comments on Tim Johnston's release. Not his flight or turn, just his release, it looks a bit different to me.
Heh. Wouldn't call myself an expert. Can't tell a lot about his bowling just form two clips either. It does look like he is spinning the ball 'up' - release it with an upwards aiming trajectory, giving him some really nice loop and letting the ball drift and dip more.

Reminds me a bit of Ramesh Powar:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Heh. Wouldn't call myself an expert. Can't tell a lot about his bowling just form two clips either. It does look like he is spinning the ball 'up' - release it with an upwards aiming trajectory, giving him some really nice loop and letting the ball drift and dip more.

Reminds me a bit of Ramesh Powar:

There's a clip for each wicket he took. So 5 in total. Yes he does seem to float the ball upwards. I checked out his height which is 185 cms. So he shouldn't need to be doing so based in his height anyway.

Check out his fingers and the work he does on the ball during the release...if not then thanks for looking.

cnerd123

likes this
Didn't realise there were clips on the scorecard. I was going off Kippax's vault footage in the thread.

Can't tell anything about his grip from those angles. Looks like he's not using the orthodox spinners grip, that he is somehow releasing it from between index finger and the thumb, but really can't tell.

He's definitely not using his full height when he bowls, does a very good job of looping it. Got some turn. Can't really tell how many revs on the ball but it looked like a decent amount.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I wonder who in New Zealand is teaching them all this trick of bending their front arm into a right angle and using it a bit like crosshairs.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder who in New Zealand is teaching them all this trick of bending their front arm into a right angle and using it a bit like crosshairs.
There have been other international bowlers (off spinners) who have done it and I am just trying to place who.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I am becomng obsessed I have Tim Johnston on loop. He has a very odd release. He pushes his fingers forward and not around the ball.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
wonder what equations he put that through. Shouldn't have gotten through the first stages of the design process imo.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I presume he won't crack the final XI in either Test, but this guy you've seen in Kippax vids is Vishwa Fernando -