• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official**** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2014/2015

Blocky

Banned
I guess this would've been Bond's decision. As we've all noted, Wagner has lost some rhythm yet Bracewell has been bowling the house down by all accounts.
Nah, Bond wouldn't have any stock in the decision - it would be McCullum and Hesson gambling on getting more from Bracewell off the seam on the Basin Reserve which generally suits seam bowling as much, if not more than swing bowling. I also wonder if his batting came into the equation.

I don't have anything against Bracewell being in the side, but dropping one of your stand out performers in the year you won five tests and a performer with which you hadn't lost a game in that entire year ( 4 games played, 3 wins, 1 draw, vs 9 games played, 5 wins, 2 losses, 2 draws for NZ in total) is the type of selection policy that makes no sense whatsoever, all you do is say to your players "Even if you perform for us, we might drop you anyway while we retain players who don't perform" - Rutherford, Sodhi, Craig, Fulton, Anderson - backed to the hilt. Wagner? Not so much.

This decision makes about as much sense as leaving Neesham out for Anderson.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Ya'll are making too big a deal out of Bracewell for Wagner, the third seamer spot is up for grabs and they are giving guys opportunities to prove themselves before harder competition. Its not like Wagner has been forgotten, they are just giving Bracewell a chance on a pitch which should help his bowling anyway.

Chubb

International Regular
Is there no reasonable way of giving Rutherford the flick?
I'm a fan of dropping him for Guptill. If we are going to have an under performing opener - and it's pretty much inevitable we will - better him than Rutherford. His batting is probably better anyway despite his red ball struggles, his fielding is world class and his attitude is excellent.

I'm not suggesting Rutherford has a bad attitude. It's just given the choice I would pick Guptill because even if his output is poor it will probably be better than Rutherfords.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Nah, Bond wouldn't have any stock in the decision - it would be McCullum and Hesson gambling on getting more from Bracewell off the seam on the Basin Reserve which generally suits seam bowling as much, if not more than swing bowling. I also wonder if his batting came into the equation.

I don't have anything against Bracewell being in the side, but dropping one of your stand out performers in the year you won five tests and a performer with which you hadn't lost a game in that entire year ( 4 games played, 3 wins, 1 draw, vs 9 games played, 5 wins, 2 losses, 2 draws for NZ in total) is the type of selection policy that makes no sense whatsoever, all you do is say to your players "Even if you perform for us, we might drop you anyway while we retain players who don't perform" - Rutherford, Sodhi, Craig, Fulton, Anderson - backed to the hilt. Wagner? Not so much.

This decision makes about as much sense as leaving Neesham out for Anderson.
No, that's a selection policy where you pick the best players available who you think will help the team. The reason Rutherford is still there is because the selectors still believe he's the best option, probably because we have very little depth in the way of opening batsmen. With our quicks, however, we seem to be a tad spoilt for choice at the moment. You can't compare our selections of players performing different roles in the team when the level of depth at each position is vastly different.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Short wide filth from Lakmal so far, he's bowled maybe 2 full balls in 2 overs and they've looked really good but it has been mainly ****, so disappointing

Howsie

International Captain
Sri Lanka bowling a pile of poo again. Better not waste the new ball on this track. Could be Hagley Oval all over again.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Short wide filth from Lakmal so far, he's bowled maybe 2 full balls in 2 overs and they've looked really good but it has been mainly ****, so disappointing
Yeah, there's no excuse this time around for not pitching it up and allowing the pitch to come into play. I mean what have the bowlers been practicing the last 3-4 days?