• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Sri Lanka in England and Ireland 2016

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just counting the hours to when Cricinfo uses the game as an excuse to call for a Ravi Bopara recall. Probably feel like England are missing a soft somewhat diminutive middle order player who has had far too many caps as it is.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So Hales, Vince and Ballance slotting in at this point? Even if the latter has done his best to utterly disqualify himself.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why are people pretending Tom Westley is in the England conversation? He isn't is he?
In the Essex mafia days he would have been but I would like to think that our new regime are a bit brighter than that.

The thing is though we have so many places up for grabs and not many players making a great case to be selected that anyone who scores a few runs suddenly gets looked at.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why are people pretending Tom Westley is in the England conversation? He isn't is he?
It's just a typical case of the bloke in good early season batting form getting talked up by journalists who can't think of anything better to write about. I remember when the same thing happened to Daryl Mitchell a couple of seasons ago. Four tons and two fifties from eight innings this season is genuinely silly form but he'd need a season of it be near serious consideration I'd imagine.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah his form has been outrageous, would think he wouldn't even be the first cab off the Essex rank though with Nick Browne knocking about.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The thing is though we have so many places up for grabs and not many players making a great case to be selected that anyone who scores a few runs suddenly gets looked at.
Who do you guys think the top 6 for Eng are going to be? Lost Taylor, obviously. But the top 6 were stuck with the entire tour of SA. Are they likely to drop anybody?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah his form has been outrageous, would think he wouldn't even be the first cab off the Essex rank though with Nick Browne knocking about.
He's probably a bit closer than we'd like to think -- he's younger than I thought (I was thinking early 30s because he's been around forever, but he's only 27), actually went on the Lions tour last winter, is very easy on the eye in terms of strokeplay, was identified early (played England Under 19s) and can contribute in other ways (good fielder, bowls tidy offies).

There's just not much substance yet though. He's played nine seasons before this one and only averaged above 40 once (last season -- 926 @ 44).

I wouldn't mind seeing him in the mix for the winter or even later on in the summer if he continues to have a good season and some of the incumbents fail, but I reckon it's too early for the selectors to be looking it as much more than a purple patch tbh.

flibbertyjibber

Who do you guys think the top 6 for Eng are going to be? Lost Taylor, obviously. But the top 6 were stuck with the entire tour of SA. Are they likely to drop anybody?
Well the reports are that Hales will open but Compton will be dropped so we need a 3 and 5. Vince by all accounts will get one of the slots and the other one is up for grabs.

Cook
Hales
Vince
Root
?
Stokes
Bairstow

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Next match we need to play Herath and Dilruwan Perera for a bowl out. On pitches that does not offer help. Dilruwan can do more with the ball. Herath never did anything significant on pitches that are not helpful.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Noooooooooooo

Ballance is my pick as he can play spin quite well and we have a lot of it to come in the next 10 months.
Ok that makes sense. Now my second question is regarding the bowlers.Is Mooen the best spinner in England? When I originally saw him I thought he was a top order batsmen that could bowl a bit, but he seems to have become the main England spinner batting at 8. Would moving him up to 3 or opening make sense (probably not). And is their not a better spinner in England at the moment? Or is Eng still worried about a fragile batting line-up?

I`m genuinely interested as I`m rating the Eng team quite highly and I very much believe that you play your 6 best batsman, 4 best bowlers and a wicket keeper. And then hope you have a decent all-rounder and you keeper can bat.So I just want to understand the Eng thinking.

flibbertyjibber

Moeen will stay as number 1 spinner and remain at 8. The only other option we really have is Rashid unless we go stupid and go for Kerrigan again.

Pace attack will be Anderson, Broad and Finn with a youngster picked as 12th man, possibly Ball as he seems highly regarded and started the season well.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Lol, dropping Compton and not Hales - this is madness.
Personally, I think both should be kept in the team.. I can't see what Compton did wrong( although I have read reports that it's more about him, than his cricket) and I like hales as a player...