• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia 2012/2013

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, it is not like you need to play a full strength side against the minnows. Should just play an Australia A against them. The match would be over in three days, they can rest the players during the two days off.
Once again, proof that when humans migrated to the subcontinent, they didn't take a sense of humour with them.

benchmark00

I mean, they trusted the science and rested Hilf didn't they? That worked well.

I think it's time we got a full blown explanation as to what "the science" is, frankly. Because ATM the only science in play is the wonder of how a bloke like Pat Howard:
a. Walks around with his head up his own arse; and
b. Seems to be dictating to the selectors and captain who plays and when, based on what a bloke tells him when he gives him a call and asks how he feels.

Thought the science of the telephone was pretty well settled tbh.
Firstly, Hilfenhaus is not under 25.

Secondly, you're a ****.

Thirdly, Hilfenhaus suffered a soft tissue injury, not a stress related injury.

Burgey

Firstly, Hilfenhaus is not under 25.

Secondly, you're a ****.

Thirdly, Hilfenhaus suffered a soft tissue injury, not a stress related injury.
I don't give a **** what age he is, I want to know from the ****s who are responsible:
a. Why they rest these blokes, from a scientific POV. I don't want to hear your or anyone else's take on it, I want this overpaid numpty to explain it; and
b. why, despite all this bloody resting and fantastic management of blokes, they're all still getting the same injuries time and again.

FMD Cummins will retire at 30 having played one test at this rate because "we wanted to manage him right and didnt want to risk him".

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jackson Munro Bird, eh?

Strong contender for the chavviest name to play test cricket.

What's the SP on the boy? Great figures, but saw him in the Renegades game when Warne got spanked and he didn't immediately scream "test bowler" to me.

This week's Peter George/Clint McKay/John Hastings?

Burgey

Jackson Munro Bird, eh?

Strong contender for the chavviest name to play test cricket.

What's the SP on the boy? Great figures, but saw him in the Renegades game when Warne got spanked and he didn't immediately scream "test bowler" to me.

This week's Peter George/Clint McKay/John Hastings?
Think he's got more to offer than those blokes tbh. Shifts it around a **** load and is very accurate. His method should suit your conditions to a tee tbh.

benchmark00

I don't give a **** what age he is, I want to know from the ****s who are responsible:
a. Why they rest these blokes, from a scientific POV. I don't want to hear your or anyone else's take on it, I want this overpaid numpty to explain it; and
b. why, despite all this bloody resting and fantastic management of blokes, they're all still getting the same injuries time and again.

FMD Cummins will retire at 30 having played one test at this rate because "we wanted to manage him right and didnt want to risk him".
Well you just don't listen to the right things because it has been explained ****.

Young fast bowlers need their work load managed until they turn 24/25. After that, they are much more resilient and don't need to be managed to the same degree. But until then, to ensure they can play as much cricket as possible, in the near and far future, they need to be rotated because they can't handle it.

You can either accept that or you can yell at more faceless men ****. But that's the facts.

Burgey

Well you just don't listen to the right things because it has been explained ****.

Young fast bowlers need their work load managed until they turn 24/25. After that, they are much more resilient and don't need to be managed to the same degree. But until then, to ensure they can play as much cricket as possible, in the near and far future, they need to be rotated because they can't handle it.

You can either accept that or you can yell at more faceless men ****. But that's the facts.
I want to know how they manage it, what they count as work load and why the **** it isn't working. If you want to rest them for those reasons, and given the way of scheduling I've said rotation of fast bowlers will become the norm, you need compelling evidence the idea of resting them is working. Because right now they're getting managed to the point where if they take an extra stroke flogging themselves they get a spell, but they're still repeatedly breaking down. Whatever they're doing, they're doing it wrong.

benchmark00

I want to know how they manage it, what they count as work load and why the **** it isn't working. If you want to rest them for those reasons, and given the way of scheduling I've said rotation of fast bowlers will become the norm, you need compelling evidence the idea of resting them is working. Because right now they're getting managed to the point where if they take an extra stroke flogging themselves they get a spell, but they're still repeatedly breaking down. Whatever they're doing, they're doing it wrong.
So your way of not getting them injured is to play them more?

The Pattinson situation of last season is perfect proof. They had indications that he was going to sustain the injury, but they did what you wanted them to do, played him anyway, he broke down.

You can't 'prove' that it's going to work. You won't be satisfied with them saying 'if we played Starc in Melbourne he would have broken down' because there's no way to prove it to your satisfaction.

We have a number of young fast bowlers, that's the problem. Alot of other countries don't have that. They don't have to manage it like Australia do. South Africa have a settled fast bowling line up because they're all experienced. In 3/4 years we will be able to enjoy the same, but until then you'll have to suck it up.

Sports science is here, deal with it

Redbacks

International Captain
They did a study on it in India but the results had to be chucked out as the conclusion of each trial was that tendulkar is better than Bradman.

Burgey

So your way of not getting them injured is to play them more?

The Pattinson situation of last season is perfect proof. They had indications that he was going to sustain the injury, but they did what you wanted them to do, played him anyway, he broke down.

You can't 'prove' that it's going to work. You won't be satisfied with them saying 'if we played Starc in Melbourne he would have broken down' because there's no way to prove it to your satisfaction.

We have a number of young fast bowlers, that's the problem. Alot of other countries don't have that. They don't have to manage it like Australia do. South Africa have a settled fast bowling line up because they're all experienced. In 3/4 years we will be able to enjoy the same, but until then you'll have to suck it up.

Sports science is here, deal with it
I can't believe you're content to run with a methodology which you admit isn't proven but you're happy to doubt climate science.

/trollface

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member

Is it really working though.

Resting fast bowlers is nothing new. It has been happening in ODIs and domestic cricket for 10-15 years now. It just now it has hit Test cricket, due the high number of Tests matches played continually increasing.

The management of young fast bowlers workloads have been going on for the same period, where young fast bowlers are restricted to limited number of overs and spell while they are young.

I get the whole science behind it and theories. But the are bowlers careers lasting more then 8-12 seasons at the top level. Are bowlers not still getting injured after their 24/25 with stress injuries.

Your a long time injured and a short time fit as fast bowlers. Players need to play when they are fit and need to develop their bowling bodies. Not just gym bodies because all they do is spend time in gym not the cricket pitch.

Yes Starc could get injured next Test, he could also get injured in Sydney or the ODI series. But he is fit now.

Resting Pattinson during the domestic OD competition for Victoria didn't stop him from getting injured during the Test series.

These young fast bowlers will never be match fit to last a long season or just one Test series, because they never bowl enough when they are young or when they are actually fit to bowl.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Trent Copeland was a poor mans Jackson Bird.

Spikey, to answer your question, I think the leader of the attack Siddle will open with Bird, but Watson will be on very early - he did just get Dilshan out first ball that he bowled last innings, so its a good option. No odds, but it would be short.

benchmark00

I can't believe you're content to run with a methodology which you admit isn't proven but you're happy to doubt climate science.

/trollface
All I'm saying is that if global warming is true, how come it rained yesterday and it's Summer?

benchmark00

Is it really working though.

Resting fast bowlers is nothing new. It has been happening in ODIs and domestic cricket for 10-15 years now. It just now it has hit Test cricket, due the high number of Tests matches played continually increasing.

The management of young fast bowlers workloads have been going on for the same period, where young fast bowlers are restricted to limited number of overs and spell while they are young.

I get the whole science behind it and theories. But the are bowlers careers lasting more then 8-12 seasons at the top level. Are bowlers not still getting injured after their 24/25 with stress injuries.

Your a long time injured and a short time fit as fast bowlers. Players need to play when they are fit and need to develop their bowling bodies. Not just gym bodies because all they do is spend time in gym not the cricket pitch.

Yes Starc could get injured next Test, he could also get injured in Sydney or the ODI series. But he is fit now.

Resting Pattinson during the domestic OD competition for Victoria didn't stop him from getting injured during the Test series.

These young fast bowlers will never be match fit to last a long season or just one Test series, because they never bowl enough when they are young or when they are actually fit to bowl.
Yeah let's bowl these guys until they break down despite having evidence showing when they will break down, just so we can get one more game out of them, makes sense.

Spikey

Trent Copeland was a poor mans Jackson Bird.

Spikey, to answer your question, I think the leader of the attack Siddle will open with Bird, but Watson will be on very early - he did just get Dilshan out first ball that he bowled last innings, so its a good option. No odds, but it would be short.
leader of the attack likes old balls iirc

Last edited: