• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia 2012/2013

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah let's bowl these guys until they break down despite having evidence showing when they will break down, just so we can get one more game out of them, makes sense.
comrade, it seems to me these capitalists freaks just don't get it. you need regulation.

benchmark00

Trent Copeland was a poor mans Jackson Bird.

Spikey, to answer your question, I think the leader of the attack Siddle will open with Bird, but Watson will be on very early - he did just get Dilshan out first ball that he bowled last innings, so its a good option. No odds, but it would be short.
Already been confirmed Jaxon will take the new ball ftr.

The leader of the attack, Mitchell Johnson, will probably share it.

benchmark00

I would like to know what Howard's spies say about this:

over the past year, Cowan and Warner have been the most successful opening duo in Tests. During that time, they have put on 850 runs together at an average of 44.73 per partnership, well ahead of the other four combinations with at least ten stands: Alastair Cook and Andrew Strauss, Graeme Smith and Alviro Petersen, Gautam Gambhir and Virender Sehwag, and Mohammad Hafeez and Taufeeq Umar.
Australia v Sri Lanka, 2nd Test, Melbourne : Cowan, Warner indicate their worth | Cricket Features | Australia v Sri Lanka | ESPN Cricinfo

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah let's bowl these guys until they break down despite having evidence showing when they will break down, just so we can get one more game out of them, makes sense.
The point was more that young fast bowlers don't have enough overs in bank when they hit 24/25 to stay injury free. Because they are rest and restricted too much when they are young to maximise their ability when they are at full fitness level as fast bowlers when they are older.

The fact is that fast bowlers are still continually getting injured when they are past the 24/25 point. When they should be more injury free, if the resting and restriction worked.

benchmark00

The point was more that young fast bowlers don't have enough overs in bank when they hit 24/25 to stay injury free. Because they are rest and restricted too much when they are young to maximise their ability when they are at full fitness level as fast bowlers when they are older.

The fact is that fast bowlers are still continually getting injured when they are past the 24/25 point. When they should be more injury free, if the resting and restriction worked.
That's not how it works though, that's just a misconception.

Which fast bowlers over 25 have suffered stress injuries after being managed up until 25?

If this was a discussion on climate change and you were rubbishing the science because that's just what you think, people would be up in arms.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
That's not how it works though, that's just a misconception.

Which fast bowlers over 25 have suffered stress injuries after being managed up until 25?

If this was a discussion on climate change and you were rubbishing the science because that's just what you think, people would be up in arms.
For Australia; Shaun Tait, Mitchell Johnson, Brett Lee and Shane Watson come to mind.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
There are times and places where resting someone seems like a reasonable option, this situation is not one of them. Its almost as though the selectors are making these decisions solely to give Mitchell Johnson further opportunities in the Australian team.

I just think that the momentum was completely with Starc and his performance late on day 5 meant that he demanded a place in the XI for the next Test, simple as really.

benchmark00

There are times and places where resting someone seems like a reasonable option, this situation is not one of them. Its almost as though the selectors are making these decisions solely to give Mitchell Johnson further opportunities in the Australian team.

I just think that the momentum was completely with Starc and his performance late on day 5 meant that he demanded a place in the XI for the next Test, simple as really.
N00fan... if you were given advice that Starc had a significant chance of sustaining an injury which would lead to him having a 3-6 month lay off, or have the alternative, sit out the game and resume in Sydney risk free. What would you choose?

benchmark00

I mean ffs, ofcourse I want the best XI chosen every game, and ofcourse I'm frustrated that Starc and co can't play every game, however this is a temporary thing. This won't always be the case. In a few years time we'll have a bowling group which are all around 25, significant international exposure, and 8-10 years of test cricket ahead of them and able to play every game like the South African attack can.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
N00fan... if you were given advice that Starc had a significant chance of sustaining an injury which would lead to him having a 3-6 month lay off, or have the alternative, sit out the game and resume in Sydney risk free. What would you choose?
Well if it was very likely he'd get injured during the game, I would chose the resting, but I call bull**** on it.

Why will he suddenly be risk free in Sydney, he'll be getting rusty by then. I know SCG is his home ground, but I'm a firm believer of Australia picking the best Test XI always especially when the series is still alive. Resting means that we are forever planning for the future and never 100% in the now.

benchmark00

Well if it was very likely he'd get injured during the game, I would chose the resting, but I call bull**** on it.

Why will he suddenly be risk free in Sydney, he'll be getting rusty by then. I know SCG is his home ground, but I'm a firm believer of Australia picking the best Test XI always especially when the series is still alive. Resting means that we are forever planning for the future and never 100% in the now.
He will be risk free because his work load wouldn't be overflowing.

And getting rusty? He'll have the same break between test matches as there is between home series. He'll go a week and half without playing test cricket. Pretty sure he'll remember how to bowl.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It just annoys me more so for the fact that its Johnson who is being given a chance to represent his country when he should be at the shops buying lipstick at the Boxing Day sales.

benchmark00

It just annoys me more so for the fact that its Johnson who is being given a chance to represent his country when he should be at the shops buying lipstick at the Boxing Day sales.
Yes I agree with that. It shouldn't be Johnson, no way.

But I guess we need a leader of the attack...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Talk me through these injuries?
Too tired to go into a discussion about the degree of injuries and relative nature of what impact workload management has on the type of injuries. Because I know I'll just get the stock standard response that has been in this thread from you about workload management has nothing to do with some certain injuries etc etc.

But end of the day Test cricket is like running a marathon. You can't expect to get through the 50 kms, if you haven't miles before and just being running on treadmill as you preparation.

I don't disagree with the science aspects of injuries and resting. I just think they have gone over the top with resting and bowling restrictions. Bowlers aren't bowling fit going into FC and Test cricket and now resting is required to keep bowlers on the park for 8-12 years. Because they haven't given them to preparation to be bowling fit when they are young due to bowling restrictions.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
He will be risk free because his work load wouldn't be overflowing.

And getting rusty? He'll have the same break between test matches as there is between home series. He'll go a week and half without playing test cricket. Pretty sure he'll remember how to bowl.
A week ia a long time in footy/test cricket. So what happens if we lose now at the G and it rains in Sydney - drawn series, but some fresh quicks just in time for the Big Bash Finalz..

benchmark00

Too tired to go into a discussion about the degree of injuries and relative nature of what impact workload management has on the type of injuries. Because I know I'll just get the stock standard response that has been in this thread from you about workload management has nothing to do with some certain injuries etc etc.

But end of the day Test cricket is like running a marathon. You can't expect to get through the 50 kms, if you haven't miles before and just being running on treadmill as you preparation.

I don't disagree with the science aspects of injuries and resting. I just think they have gone over the top with resting and bowling restrictions. Bowlers aren't bowling fit going into FC and Test cricket and now resting is required to keep bowlers on the park for 8-12 years. Because they haven't given them to preparation to be bowling fit when they are young due to bowling restrictions.
But ffs you won't get 'bowling fit' if you're on the sidelines for 6 months with a stress fracture will you??

benchmark00

A week ia a long time in footy/test cricket. So what happens if we lose now at the G and it rains in Sydney - drawn series, but some fresh quicks just in time for the Big Bash Finalz..
What happens if Starc plays in Melbourne, Australia bowl first, Starc develops stress fractures in his foot, it rains (more likely in Melbourne, let's face it), it's a draw, then we go to Sydney without Starc able to play, Sri Lanka win. Drawn series.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
What happens if Starc plays in Melbourne, Australia bowl first, Starc develops stress fractures in his foot, it rains (more likely in Melbourne, let's face it), it's a draw, then we go to Sydney without Starc able to play, Sri Lanka win. Drawn series.
What happens if Starc gets to do his job two weeks in a row and we win the series 3-0 gaining a ****load of confidence, further experience and we pretty much have Siddle, Starc and Pattinson locked in as our 3 premier quicks with a host of other bowlers not named Johnson in contention for an Ashes birth.