• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka Discussion/Domestic thread 2014/15

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
While we are still a couple of months out from the start of the one day Premiere League comp which is the major List A fixture on the SL domestic calender there is a fair bit happening in Sri Lankan cricket that can all be discussed here. For example the U 19 boys are hosting the Aussies, there is an incoming 'A' tour by WI soon and the national team is currently competing in the Asian games. Haven't been able to find a fixture but it will be available on cricinfo soon enough I'm sure, if I remember to I'll post it up later.

So to get the ball rolling news came in a few days ago that Senanayake has been cleared by SLC to play domestic cricket in a little List A tournament next month and they are looking to get him re-tested and cleared for international cricket ASAP, sounds like good news but geez I hope they get this right

YorksLanka

International Debutant
yeah ,correct me if i am wrong but i believe that if he is called again, it is an automatic one year ban isnt it?we shouldnt justworry about the world cup as this guy has years of cricket left in him if he canget it right...

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
If he fails a test after getting called again he cops a one year ban, but if he bowls in matches with a new action and that gets cleared when he gets re-tested then it should be all good

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Hey so the 'A' team is hosting the WI 'A' team over in Hambantota atm and the first unofficial test has started, good 'A' team for us, really happy with some of the selections, Jehan Mubarak is in after an unbelievable FC season, Priyanjan gets a run, and so does Seekkuge, although I'd have loved to see Randiv there. A few of the other fringe internationals are there too, Chandiguns and Thirimanne need a couple of big scores to get the confidence going again.

Currently 1/40, decent start, Tharanga probably flashed at some wide filth or something I'm guessing

YorksLanka

International Debutant
dimuth going well again but would have liked to see silva opening with him as i still think they were the best opening partnership we have in tests currently...yes i like tharanga but he is more suited to odi's imho..

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah Silva's spot in the test team is pretty safe, I think the selectors were looking to get a bit of a battle going between Dimuth and Tharanga for the other spot ahead of the NZ series, that's fair enough. Thirrimanne in the runs too, a big hundred would do him a world of good, Chandiguns needs some runs too

WindieWeathers

International Regular
We're gonna see what happens with our guys bat but i fear this could be a total road of a track. These two teams played eachother in the Caribbean last year and all the games were draws aswell.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah the Windies went in with a pretty decent attack (mind you 2 spinners was a bit of a dud move I feel given Hambantota is generally a rather quick track by SL standards), suspect we'll have a high scoring draw on our hands here, still good to see batsmen spending time at the crease and doing well though, I think Eranga holds the key as far as our bowling goes, if he bowls well we might have a chance at a result

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
And having said that the WI spinners have caused a bit of a collapse, interesting, this is what happens when I can only guess what is going on through scorecards haha

YorksLanka

International Debutant
good to see thirri and chandi in the runs, .i think Eranga will have a good run out here but i am surprised to see him in this team tbh as he would probably be the first of our quicks on the teamsheet- unless it is just to keep him physically conditioned for bowling until the WC..hopefully for the wc we will have him, pradeep,lakmal and prasad to pick from with support from thisara..

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm guessing Eranga won't be considered for ODIs and hence they are using this tour as a bit of match practice ahead of the NZ tour

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Yeah i think today our attack came back strongly and it was 198/8 after a pretty tough day yesterday!!..score now 56/1 the big wicket of Brathwaite just got out and Fudadin and Kirk Edwards are at the crease. Really just looking for us to get close to SL's 413...around 390 would put the pressure back on SL i'd think.

Brathwaite
Fudadin
Edwards
Fletcher
Blackwood
Walton (wk)
Carlos Brathwaite
Miller
Shillingford
Cotterrell
Gabriel

Is the team...Shilly got a 5fer after struggling badly earlier on and this is a new action he's using so that's interesting..apparently he's been working on the "straighter ball" deliver instead of a doosra so hopefully that got him a couple of wickets. Carlos Brathwaite is a very decent allrounder...Fletcher is part of the WI t20 team now and his batting has improved a lot of the years so it will be interesting to see how he goes and of course young Blackwood is a test player now so hopefully he impresses and gets some runs.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Seekkuge you beauty, was hoping for a little more from the openers but this will do just nicely

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Seekkuge you beauty, was hoping for a little more from the openers but this will do just nicely
It would appear the pitch has changed..two wickets first day and all of a sudden fourteen on day two? with TWELVE going to spin? madness. As for the team...

Edwards continues to fail.

Fudadin getting stumped is crazy considering the situation we were in

Blackwood seems to have played a rash shot which he something he's gonna have to work on

Fletcher was eating up dot after dot and the pressure told

Carlos Brathwaite is apparently the "captain" so he has to play which has shortened the batting order (smh)

I maintain that Fudadin shouldn't be opening as he's not an opener and Carter should certainly be there...we'll most likely be following on and we'll see what these guys are made of...i don't recall any practise matches during this tour so i won't be too harsh...but collapse in the same way in the second innings and major questions have to be asked.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
It would appear the pitch has changed..two wickets first day and all of a sudden fourteen on day two? with TWELVE going to spin? madness. As for the team...

so its not the "road" you suggested when SL A were batting?

only pulling your leg mate, i know you said that you feared it may be a road..:lol:

Last edited:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
The goal for the 3rd day should be for the last three wickets to last until lunch if possible. We're not gonna get passed the follow-on score so i assume we'll be batting for a second time again and that's when we're gonna see what some of these guys are made of...Kraigg, Edwards, Blackwood and Fudadin need to stand up even if the pitch has turned into a minefield. Don't have much faith in the others although Walton is still there i guess.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
well bowled Prasanna, great effort..Lets see if we can roll through them again and take this game...fwiw,this is a strong A team for us..

WindieWeathers

International Regular
267/7 at stumps...dire start again but have to give Shilly and Miller credit for having a 93 run partnership at the end to gives us a 14 run lead and take this into the 4th day. It looks like the SL bowlers finally tired and were getting hit around a bit!!..especially the leggy. They will be spending their 3rd day in the field and the plan must be to see out the early spell and look to build...if they are still tired we might be able to hang on until lunch and then maybe if we're lucky get a lead beyond 140...at least that would give us something to bowl at.

All in all it's been a disappointing game of course and the batsmen have really done themselves no favors..i do think this second innings fightback will have given them a little confidence though so lets hope they show it in the next two games.