• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka’s Tour of the West Indies-2021- All Format

WICFan

U19 Captain
Is John Campbell just a really ****e Devon Smith?

Surely even if it is getting a limited overs hitter to open it would offer the same value as Campbell?
Certainly appears little to no better than Devon Smith or Kieran Powell.

There is a real lack of options for the Windies at opener. Moseley, Solozano and Chanderpaul aren't up to it just yet so the only other options are to shoehorn someone like Shai Hope in there.

Woodster

International Captain
I know everyone would disagree, but I can't see what would be so terrible about trying out Shai as a test opener. He has the technique, temperament and class to make it happen. And sorry, I also don't think Kraigg is up to the job. I know it's test cricket, but he does and always have batted too damn slow.
I’m not sure batting too slow is his primary issue, it’s averaging 24,16 and 23 in Test cricket from season 2018-2020. His career strike rate is a tick above 40 which is slow going when compared to Cheteshwar Pujara who has a higher strike rate of just under 45, but it sounds really obvious in that he just Isn’t getting in and scoring serious match contributions. Since his last century against Bangladesh back in July 2018 he’s had 37 innings (including current overnight innings and a 5 not out) and been dismissed for 20 or under in 26 of those innings! The most deliveries he faced in those innings (of 20 runs or less) is 68 so he isn’t wasting time or deliveries, in fact he needs to spend much more time out there and get himself established at the crease.

Of course opening batsmen can be dismissed cheaply, unfortunately at the moment Brathwaite is being removed early (far too frequently) and when he does get a start he’s really not going on and making it count. WI would certainly take a 300 ball hundred later on today.

WICFan

U19 Captain
It is now definitely a pattern. Shannon and Kemar are getting old now, we need to start planning for life without them. Alzarri is not up to it at this moment, he bowls too short. A stint in county cricket should sort that out.
I think Roach still has a lot to offer, he chips away at the opposition. Gabriel offers little in movement or variation and if a pitch isn't for the pacers then he tends to struggle. Joseph would be the ideal candidate to take the new ball but he gets frustrated too easily and becomes wayward and wastes any pressure built up. Who's next in line Chemar Holder? Maybe a bit early for Seales and Smith. Keemo Paul seems to have fallen down the list.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I think Roach still has a lot to offer, he chips away at the opposition. Gabriel offers little in movement or variation and if a pitch isn't for the pacers then he tends to struggle. Joseph would be the ideal candidate to take the new ball but he gets frustrated too easily and becomes wayward and wastes any pressure built up. Who's next in line Chemar Holder? Maybe a bit early for Seales and Smith. Keemo Paul seems to have fallen down the list.
The next three logically are Chemar Holder, Preston McSween and Anderson Phillip. All have good FC records, all have taken wickets either at A team level or in warm ups against international opposition. All bring different strengths and weaknesses. You could put any one of them in and they would offer something.

Nial Smith is seriously talented and won't be far off with one more decent FC season. Jayden Seales was the best pacer on display in the 4 day match recently, I was amazed at how good he is already. He won't be far off, maybe an FC season away.

We are blessed in the pace department but need to handle it intelligently and slowly expose all of these guys so they can step up when Shannon and then Kemar are either injured or retired.

Beamer

I’m not sure batting too slow is his primary issue, it’s averaging 24,16 and 23 in Test cricket from season 2018-2020. His career strike rate is a tick above 40 which is slow going when compared to Cheteshwar Pujara who has a higher strike rate of just under 45, but it sounds really obvious in that he just Isn’t getting in and scoring serious match contributions. Since his last century against Bangladesh back in July 2018 he’s had 37 innings (including current overnight innings and a 5 not out) and been dismissed for 20 or under in 26 of those innings! The most deliveries he faced in those innings (of 20 runs or less) is 68 so he isn’t wasting time or deliveries, in fact he needs to spend much more time out there and get himself established at the crease.

Of course opening batsmen can be dismissed cheaply, unfortunately at the moment Brathwaite is being removed early (far too frequently) and when he does get a start he’s really not going on and making it count. WI would certainly take a 300 ball hundred later on today.
I think Kraigg has shown signs of returning to his best. He has scored a couple of daddy hundreds fairly recently in FC cricket. I'm fairly confident he will be okish.

Campbell has shown signs of improvement, in this match he has received two excellent deliveries and he didn't do anything wrong. However time is ticking and he needs a score.

Beamer

Certainly appears little to no better than Devon Smith or Kieran Powell.

There is a real lack of options for the Windies at opener. Moseley, Solozano and Chanderpaul aren't up to it just yet so the only other options are to shoehorn someone like Shai Hope in there.
Yep you're spot on. We have a real issue with the opening slot. Kraigg deserves to be under pressure but obviously now he is captain so can't be dropped. It is heartening to note that oppostion openers have also struggled in the Caribbean recently, not just ours. The Dukes ball moves a lot and we have had some very pace friendly pitches. That is worth noting.

Shayne Moseley does not look good enough in his limited appearances so far. I did notice even in FC cricket he has a weakness pushing at balls outside off and I haven't seen that change.

Tage Chanderpaul is not ready yet. If you think Kraigg scores slowly , Tage scores at a strike rate of around 25 in FC cricket and routinely pats back half volleys. He is not an option at the moment.

Jeremy Solozano may well be the next on the list of natural openers, but even at FC level he is a real feast or famine merchant. He will score a big hundred in the opening match and then score nothing for the rest of the tournament. Having said that, he has looked ok at A team level. I'm not convinced.

In terms of young players, Keegan Simmons looks like the one most likely to force his way into contention if we get any 4 day cricket this year. He has a test match temperament for sure. But the transition from Under 19 to professional is hard and we don't have the best record of making it work.

Evin Lewis has said he is going to play the 4 day season (whenever it does happen), which would be interesting! If he scores runs it will be very tempting for the selectors. I think he might be a little loose for tests but we don't have much to lose.

The other two options are to move Josh Da Silva up to open (it's his favorite place to bat) but that is an incredibly tough ask for a youngster to keep wicket and open, especially when the Caribbean has become one of the hardest places to open.

Or they will ask Shai Hope to open. If the warm up was anything to go by, that is something they are mulling over.

Woodster

International Captain
I think Kraigg has shown signs of returning to his best. He has scored a couple of daddy hundreds fairly recently in FC cricket. I'm fairly confident he will be okish.

Campbell has shown signs of improvement, in this match he has received two excellent deliveries and he didn't do anything wrong. However time is ticking and he needs a score.
Absolutely. While I was highlighting his shortcomings in recent years I do believe he has the game and discipline in order to turn those fortunes around and hopefully for him that‘s starting today where he’ll bat for the majority, if not all, of the day. Hopefully he will embrace the added responsibility of captaincy on a permanent basis and lead from the front.

Beamer

Absolutely. While I was highlighting his shortcomings in recent years I do believe he has the game and discipline in order to turn those fortunes around and hopefully for him that‘s starting today where he’ll bat for the majority, if not all, of the day. Hopefully he will embrace the added responsibility of captaincy on a permanent basis and lead from the front.
From what I have seen recently, his captaincy is decent, but that won't matter if he doesn't score runs!

Bahseph

State Captain
Braithwaite to me has always had patience as a trump card. He isn't the most technically sound batsman and he won't put the opposition under pressure but he gets a pass because he doesn't seem to throw his wicket away in the sense of a more aggressive player. I don't see him being much of a banker. And I've watched him from his debut

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In the best versus best game Brathwaite was batting with a healthy strike rate, and I thought that there was a change in his batting. But he’s gone back to blocking and poking.

Raghav

Shannon Gabriel is big let down in this game, wayward and struggles for energy most times

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't even know until day 4 that ESPN had the rights to this. They hid it well on the App.

Good start by the Windies. Captain looking more positive and pitch is holding up well.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Da Silva is Windies best bat. Move him up to 4 and allow Mayers/Blackwood the opportunity to potentially chase this target in the last session

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think if Dowrich ever comes back Da Silva can move right up the order to open the batting, since he is an opening batsman by nature.

Tom Flint

International Regular
150 would be about the limit a team would try to chase in the final session and that is only if the have 6 or more wickets in hand imo