• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

G.I.Joe

International Coach
If you can manage to peel off a bit of the surface layer and create a small indentation, that would definitely aid reverse swing. Reverse swing seems to be due to the layer of air closest to the surface of the ball (known as the boundary layer) becoming turbulent and even small indentations on the surface would aid this process.
That's what I disagree with. IMO you need to rough up the surface overall as happens over the course of a game, not just a couple of scratches.

For example the indentations on a golf ball are present precisely for this purpose.
Lets bring the golf ball into the equation when the bowler manages to create multiple indentations on one side similar to the ones on it. A couple of scratches are nowhere near the same thing.

shankar

International Debutant
That's what I disagree with. IMO you need to rough up the surface overall as happens over the course of a game, not just a couple of scratches.
On what basis do you say that though? I'm not talking about scratches. But an area with a diameter of say 1 cm over which the surface is peeled off would increase significantly the probability of the boundary layer becoming turbulent.

Lets bring the golf ball into the equation when the bowler manages to create multiple indentations on one side similar to the ones on it. A couple of scratches are nowhere near the same thing.
I only brought up the golf ball to give an idea of the common process that's involved i.e. indentations on the surface aiding transition to turbulence.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Love how the spelling of his name randomly changes from "Aamer " to "Amir" halfway through the article. :ph34r:

I suspect the boy probably has been lead astray and, if he co-operates with the investigations I'd advocate leniency. Should serve some kind of ban still tho, however.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yea but Aamer has to admit what he's done as well. He has to be honest about the whole thing, not come up with crap about how he had no idea about what he was doing and he's completely innocent. That's just ridiculous and means he'll have no credibility if he's back playing international cricket again in a few years.

This is Pakistan's chance to turn over a new leaf to some extent. If they don't I personally don't want them involved in the game as a national team, although I'm sure they will be. The game is bigger than any one country.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Except that a couple of scratches on the side with the fingernail aren't going to achieve the kind of overall roughness you need to reverse it. Which is the point you guys are missing.
Kidding yourself. It all helps.

You want the ball as dry, and keeping that side as rough as possible. By using your fingernails, which if they're anything over a normal size length can disturb the surface, you can target the parts of the ball that haven't been as roughed up as other parts.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Kidding yourself. It all helps.

You want the ball as dry, and keeping that side as rough as possible. By using your fingernails, which if they're anything over a normal size length can disturb the surface, you can target the parts of the ball that haven't been as roughed up as other parts.
As a bowler you are never sure how and how much the ball will swing/spin right? Mostly you hope and with experience you get some sorta knowledge on what will get the ball to swing/spin big or little but you are never EXACTLY sure of how much... And I think with that as a given, it is a big help even to scratch a little bit. You never know, 1 out of 10 or 12 deliveries might just land there and do something...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It's an inexact science. Some days, it won't matter how much work, legal or otherwise, you put into the ball, it won't move off the straight. Other days, it happens naturally without you even thinking about reverse swing.

Teams do it because it gives them the best chance of producing it. It may not always happen, but on the occasions that it does it can have a huge effect on the game.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It's an inexact science. Some days, it won't matter how much work, legal or otherwise, you put into the ball, it won't move off the straight. Other days, it happens naturally without you even thinking about reverse swing.

Teams do it because it gives them the best chance of producing it. It may not always happen, but on the occasions that it does it can have a huge effect on the game.
Yep.. exactly my point. INteresting to see this does not vary across the various levels of cricket, coz what I said was from my experience in school and age level cricket...

Matt79

Global Moderator
GEO SUPER

the trio turning on each other was bound to happen as things became more messier for them as they look to save their own skin first.
Nah, call bs on that article's call for leniency on Amir. Ridiculous - if the ICC or any outsider were too claim Pakistani players were too educationally deficient to understand their responsibilities as international players there'd be an enormous hue and cry. IMO if you're too dumb/naive/young to understand the concept of match fixing in this day and age, you're not fit to be an international cricketer.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
They must have some skill to be able to throw it in on the bounce and hit the same side every time!
It's an emerging skill, and to be honest isn't really that hard. If you throw sidearm and holding the ball down the seam, so that it flies like a flying saucer, then you can control which side the ball is hitting.

That skill is more relevant to when players are trying to get it in Test cricket. In ODI cricket, the aim is more to knock the ball up and age it as quickly as possible, because the white ball tends to reverse more regularly just through old age rather than the quality of the upkeep of the shiny side.

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
Breaking news is that Aamir had agreed he had involved in Match fixing and Butt had forced him to do it and their manager resigned................ Shame on Salman Butt.........

pasag

RTDAS
Yay, Butt will be the fall guy and everything else will go on like nothing ever happened.

Or maybe someone will "lose the evidence" like the drug case.

There's no problem here.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
GEO SUPER

the trio turning on each other was bound to happen as things became more messier for them as they look to save their own skin first.
Seems like he may be saying the truth about Butt.

But, why in the world would you bowl a no ball on the captain's instructions?? If you play cricket you better know what a no ball is...you have got be that educated for sure. And then bowling it deliberately...why wouldn't this ring any bells...

If my captain tells me to bowl a no ball, i wouldn't...the next thing i would do after the game has ended is inform the Coach or the manager or even the icc of the captain's instructions, if none of the former are trustworthy go to a lawyer....

Xuhaib

International Coach
Seems like he may be saying the truth about Butt.

But, why in the world would you bowl a no ball on the captain's instructions?? If you play cricket you better know what a no ball is...you have got be that educated for sure. And then bowling it deliberately...why wouldn't this ring any bells...

If my captain tells me to bowl a no ball, i wouldn't...the next thing i would do after the game has ended is inform the Coach or the manager or even the icc of the captain's instructions, if none of the former are trustworthy go to a lawyer....
nah bowling a deliberate no ball for tactical purpose is nothing new infact if you see both Aamer's no ball they were quite short with one actually targeting Trott's head but Aamer reaction the next day could tell that he was quite guilty.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Yay, Butt will be the fall guy and everything else will go on like nothing ever happened.

Or maybe someone will "lose the evidence" like the drug case.

There's no problem here.

will not mind that:ph34r:

nah if no action is taken on this evidance by ICC then ICC will never be able to eradicate match/spot fixing.