• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This looks worse now than when i went to bed last night just after the story broke.Can't see how there won't be some very long bans handed out (probably deserve to be life bans) once the dust settles.

How the hell can they play the one day series now with allegations that 2 games were going to be thrown?

The most amazing thing is that Afridi is coming out of it well,it seems his dancing on the pitch and ball biting were just because he wanted to win so badly.He isn't then dirty cheat,just a gormless thick ****er.:laugh:

StumpMic

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Ban ban ban!

I am honestly in shock that such talented people like Amir and Asif would succumb to such greed.
Asif needed the dough for drugs and Aamer for a haircut.

Pakistani players suck. I hope they donate a nice chunk of their ill gotten gains to the flood victims. That is about the only good that can come of this.

Craig

World Traveller
This looks worse now than when i went to bed last night just after the story broke.Can't see how there won't be some very long bans handed out (probably deserve to be life bans) once the dust settles.

How the hell can they play the one day series now with allegations that 2 games were going to be thrown?

The most amazing thing is that Afridi is coming out of it well,it seems his dancing on the pitch and ball biting were just because he wanted to win so badly.He isn't then dirty cheat,just a gormless thick ****er.:laugh:
Now that isn't acceptable, correct?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yup, this would end only if there is a more equitable distribution of match fees and salaries amongst Test players.
If you make a million dollars from salary, you're much less likely to accept $100k for match fixing and ruin your future.

If you make $50k from salary...that $100k looks a lot more tempting.
a) Love it how SS uses this as an opportunity to push his agenda, wac
Inclined to agree. Frankly insulting to all the honest sportsmen who take on better paid opponents too.

Take the football world cup, if memory serves one of the NZ players was a semi-pro who supplemented his income by working in a bank. Yet they still managed to hold the (then) world champions, each one of whom I'd guess earns more in a week than he pulls in PA.

Would also suggest throwing money at the dishonest is a pretty ****ty way of ensuring their honesty too.

e) and finally, you have to really call into question the Sydney Test now. Which makes me sick.
Sadly, yeah. Where one had assumed incompetence at the time, it now looks like something rather darker.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Inclined to agree. Frankly insulting to all the honest sportsmen who take on better paid opponents too.

Take the football world cup, if memory serves one of the NZ players was a semi-pro who supplemented his income by working in a bank. Yet they still managed to hold the (then) world champions, each one of whom I'd guess earns more in a week than he pulls in PA.

Would also suggest throwing money at the dishonest is a pretty ****ty way of ensuring their honesty too.

Sadly, yeah. Where one had assumed incompetence at the time, it now looks like something rather darker.
Indeed. Peter Ingram still has his job as a teacher at my old school, and will probably only leave it if he gets a national contract.

But we're a lot further away from these syndicates I suppose, so there is a bit less pressure.

Though someone tried it on Fleming a few years back. Shook him up a bit and he went straight to team management.

Burgey

Would things improve if Imran Khan took control of the PCB again?
No, what makes you think Imran is the answer as an administrator? His career in politics hasn't been that great has it?

I wouldn't think the Pakistan set up needs the cult of personality thing on top of everything else.

Particularly when Imran spends so much time promoting that cult himself.

cover drive man

International Captain
The News of the world is a disgusting newspaper, wouldn't be surprised if it was completely made up. Cricketing wise though this is quite sad if true.

Shri

Mr. Glass
No, what makes you think Imran is the answer as an administrator? His career in politics hasn't been that great has it?

I wouldn't think the Pakistan set up needs the cult of personality thing on top of everything else.

Particularly when Imran spends so much time promoting that cult himself.
He was practically a dictator in Pak cricket during his playing days and had the best interests of the team in heart. Just posted what came to my mind at the time.

flibbertyjibber

The News of the world is a disgusting newspaper, wouldn't be surprised if it was completely made up. Cricketing wise though this is quite sad if true.
So they made up the Gary Glitter stuff,the Sven meeting with an Arab etc....

These stings they do are generally very reliable.It is other parts of the newspaer reporting team that make stuff up.

Sir Alex

Banned
Apparently, Afridi has come out in the open saying that he quit test cricket because of rampant matchfixing.

Bit rich of him to say that now.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Come on, CDM. I know you like to take the contrary view occasionally just to spice things up, but which part of the video footage do you think is made up?

Burgey

Afridi - one disgrace to the game slags off another.

Probably the cricketer who, more than any other, epitomises the game plunging the depths of instant gratification in lieu of any meaningful substance.