• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

Spark

Global Moderator
Isn't this sort of thing really big in India where AFAIK betting on sports is illegal? Would suggest that banning it does nothing.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Indeed. To suggest a ban on betting would stop typical human behaviour is naive in the extreme.

Besides, some of us have our wages paid out of sports betting...

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Isn't this sort of thing really big in India where AFAIK betting on sports is illegal? Would suggest that banning it does nothing.
You are right. There is no obvious solution to it really.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
i would go the other way and legalise gambling in india and pakistan... the only reason for a bookie at all is because gambling is illegal.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
I feel pretty upset about this whole thing. I've spent many hours watching the test series Pakistan have played against Australia and England, I thought they might have turned a corner and now this..

Hopefully somehow Amir doesn't get a life ban.

Craig

World Traveller
i would go the other way and legalise gambling in india and pakistan... the only reason for a bookie at all is because gambling is illegal.
You ban something, and it just goes 'underground'. America tried that with Prohibition in the 1920's or 30's. Can anybody shed any light as to why that is the case, religion perhaps (I think gambling is forbidden in Islam, but could well be wrong)?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
You ban something, and it just goes 'underground'. America tried that with Prohibition in the 1920's or 30's. Can anybody shed any light as to why that is the case, religion perhaps (I think gambling is forbidden in Islam, but could well be wrong)?
That would be my guess. As a general rule, Religion + law = SNAFU.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I honestly don't understand why anyone is surprised here, these actions are simply a product of their environment, in Pakistan, it is nearly impossible to get into schools, work places, professional teams without bribes, fraud and deception. It is just common place all throughout Pakistani society. Why do you expect cricketers to be different?

Obviously this has nothing to do with Pakistani people as they are no different from people of any other nation but they are simply a victim to decades of exploitation and serious manipulation from the power centers above.

This culture is evident all across spectrum, kids are exposed to it at a very early age. No surprises here.
Don't agree with this.. We have our fair share of corruption in Africa, think of what the players in Zim earn, and as far as everyone knows, we have been clear of scandal since Hansie..

Shri

Mr. Glass
Would hate ****s who now say they don't want Amir to be banned for life but later call him a cheat forever when he comes back from the ban.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Would hate ****s who now say they don't want Amir to be banned for life but later call him a cheat forever when he comes back from the ban.
Weird point of view.

If he's proved guilty, he's proved guilty and everyone has the right to refer to that for as long as he plays the game. Doesn't remove our right to suggest a degree of leniency with regard to a life ban.

Sir Alex

Banned
Perhaps regulating it would be a better option imho, rather than completely curbing such stuff.

R_D

International Debutant
Just heard the news.
Just wow.... once its proven.. i hope we see some life bans for this.
Ruining a game that i enjoy watching.

Sir Alex

Banned
That and some teachings of Mahatma Gandhiji who advocated prohibition and no gambling etc.