• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in West Indies

WindieWeathers

International Regular
It's clear from our posts that you are a WI fan and I'm an SA fan.. I am an Asian but just support both Australia and SA.

I don't know what Benn did/said to provoke Steyn.. ICC should investigate and punish both. I won't be surprised if he said something in the first place.
"You don't know what Ben did/said" but yet you still felt obliged to call him an "idiot" and defend the man who spat at him? ok that makes perfect sense!! :unsure: .

akilana

International 12th Man
"You don't know what Ben did/said" but yet you still felt obliged to call him an "idiot" and defend the man who spat at him? ok that makes perfect sense!! :unsure: .
It was clear for me to see that Benn provoked Steyn.. it wasn't the first or last time he provoked a SA player in the match.. or first or last in his career.

I have seen Steyn and Gayle throwing verbals at each other but never this ugly.. I'm just wondering that why he never spat at any other player but decided to spit at Benn..

Last edited:

akilana

International 12th Man
Probably you want to hear that Benn is the best spinner in the world and he's a saint.. so here goes Benn is the best spinner in the world and he's saint.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
It's clear from our posts that you are a WI fan and I'm an SA fan.. I am an Asian but just support both Australia and SA.

I don't know what Benn did/said to provoke Steyn.. ICC should investigate and punish both. I won't be surprised if he said something in the first place.
spitting is not a good idea. Even if the team you support did it.

Steyn will regret this incident and will probably end up apologizing for it.

Getting sent off because his captain threw a hissy fit doesn't mean he's an "idiot" though :unsure: , it's really sad to see people like yourself making excuses for Steyn's disgusting behaviour!!, i only hope the ICC have more empathy.
No he is an idiot for doing idiotic thinds like trying to trip a player when he is running through for a run.

If Steyn gets the same punishment as Benn did in this incident I.m sure some will complain.

Controversies and Issues - Confrontation: Benn niggles Haddin - CricketCrowd – Rich ...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
"A number of people agree"? what two others? :laugh: and no "labels" would be needed you stopped trying to talk for others every five minuets 8-) , the fact is Benn has been getting better and better over the last 18 months and has taken big wicket hauls against the top ranked sides in the world, apart from Swann which other spinner is doing better than Benn? Hauritz and Botha? :lol: .
I do not speak for anyone else, so stop saying I do. No matter how many times you try to make it out, there's nobody seems to agree with you on most matters, yet you have the temerity to laugh that there's "only 2" who seem to share my view.

Oh, and as for spinners doing better than Benn, I'll take Swann, Harbhajan, Shakib, Hauritz, Herath, Mahmadullah and Kaneria please, all of whom are striking at least 2 overs per wicket quicker -facts you;ll no doubt rebuff with some rolleyes and laughs.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
How many of them have been up against England, Australia and South Africa in that time frame? i'd imagine it's not many!! 8-) ,
Hold on, weren't you talking before the series about how SA were woeful against spin?

Now you're bigging them up because it helps your cause?

Notice how you've gone very quiet about the great Shillingford as well...

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I do not speak for anyone else, so stop saying I do. No matter how many times you try to make it out, there's nobody seems to agree with you on most matters, yet you have the temerity to laugh that there's "only 2" who seem to share my view.

Oh, and as for spinners doing better than Benn, I'll take Swann, Harbhajan, Shakib, Hauritz, Herath, Mahmadullah and Kaneria please, all of whom are striking at least 2 overs per wicket quicker -facts you;ll no doubt rebuff with some rolleyes and laughs.
And many of them have played more games than Benn lately against weaker opposition but don't let that get in the way of your argument!!, and of course "you'd take them" over Benn, considering you clearly don't rate Benn i would have thought that was obvious!! :laugh: .

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Hold on, weren't you talking before the series about how SA were woeful against spin?

Now you're bigging them up because it helps your cause?

Notice how you've gone very quiet about the great Shillingford as well...
Erm does them being weak against spin change the fact that they are ranked number two in the world? honestly that argument is extremely weak!! 8-)

It was that "spin" that had them 107/5 and 123/5 in this series, expecting the spinners to do it on their own is simply foolish.

Furthemore Shilly has slowed down in this Test but it's his debut!!, he was never gonna be "superman" in every game, i don't remember Swanny taking wickets against the number two ranked side when he was 27!!.

shivfan

Banned
As for the 'incident', Benn is definitely an idiot, we all know this. But spitting at someone is unacceptable and should result in a ban of at least 1 test for Steyn. Anything other than that would be disgraceful and start to make me wonder, especially when you consider the on field decisions that have gone against us in this test.
I agree with your sentiments....

Benn can behave like an idiot, with his verbals. However, Steyn can dish out his verbals to opposing batsmen, so while he's no stranger to dishing it out, he seems to have greater difficulty taking it. If Steyn had any class, he would've reacted to Benn's verbals with verbals of his own.

Spitting was totally unacceptable....

shivfan

Banned
It was clear for me to see that Benn provoked Steyn.. it wasn't the first or last time he provoked a SA player in the match.. or first or last in his career.

I have seen Steyn and Gayle throwing verbals at each other but never this ugly.. I'm just wondering that why he never spat at any other player but decided to spit at Benn..
It doesn't matter what Benn said...spitting at someone is a disgusting and unacceptable response, and he needs to be punished for it. In 2005, Smith verbally sledged Bravo in a way that upset him tremendously, and Wavell Hinds responded by spitting on the ground near to Smith when he was batting.

Hinds was punished for that....

I expect Steyn to be similarly punished for spitting on the ground near Benn. Let's see if the match referee can finally get it right this time around.
8-)

It doesn't matter what Benn said...spitting at someone is a disgusting and unacceptable response, and he needs to be punished for it. In 2005, Smith verbally sledged Bravo in a way that upset him tremendously, and Wavell Hinds responded by spitting on the ground near to Smith when he was batting.

Hinds was punished for that....

I expect Steyn to be similarly punished for spitting on the ground near Benn. Let's see if the match referee can finally get it right this time around.
8-)
There is no record of Hinds being punished from 2004-2006, Smith on the other hand was charged twice and received a four game suspension for slow over rates.

Steyn did not spit on Benn but gave him a nasty reaction, Benn is making a mountain out of a molehill by complaining to the umpire. I wonder how many people complain that the ICC over regulate the game and complain that the ICC dont do enough. Let the men play.

Howsie

International Captain
Can you produce all of those players stats from the last 18 months then? as pulling names out of a hat without the stats to back it up simply doesn't cut it, and i mention the 4fer against England because that helped take apart one of the top sides in the world and in turn won us the series!!, but no doubt that won't register with you because "Benn isn't test class" apparently!! :laugh: .
Here you are :) Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

As for asking why you bring up that England performance from Feburary 2009, well it's just that you seem to skip from then all the way till his 5-155 performance against Australia, no mention of his performances between then?

0-143
2-58
1-106
1-64
2-84
2-146
2-86

shivfan

Banned
There is no record of Hinds being punished from 2004-2006, Smith on the other hand was charged twice and received a four game suspension for slow over rates.

Steyn did not spit on Benn but gave him a nasty reaction, Benn is making a mountain out of a molehill by complaining to the umpire. I wonder how many people complain that the ICC over regulate the game and complain that the ICC dont do enough. Let the men play.
Really? Where were you looking?
:unsure:
Hinds fined, but Smith in the clear | Cricket News | South Africa in West Indies | Cricinfo.com

Just like Steyn, Hinds did not spit on Smith, but near him. Smith made a mountain out of a molehill by complaining to the umpire, and Hinds was fined his entire match fee.

Now, that 2005 incident could've been settled by both men shaking hands. Instead, Hinds was hit with a Level 2 code breach. Since this is the way the Saffers were happy with Hinds' punishment, I expect consistency in the ICC ruling.

Howsie

International Captain
How many of them have been up against England, Australia and South Africa in that time frame? i'd imagine it's not many!! 8-) ,
Benn's record against:

Australia - 15 wickets at 39.66 striking at 82.4
England - 16 wickets at 44.31 striking at 87.2

Yeah, he's not really doing that well against them is he :unsure:

His record against South Africa is quite good, 15 wickets at 30.66 striking at 70.2, but thats only for one series.