• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in West Indies

Teja.

Global Moderator
"A number of people agree"? what two others? :laugh: and no "labels" would be needed you stopped trying to talk for others every five minuets 8-) , the fact is Benn has been getting better and better over the last 18 months and has taken big wicket hauls against the top ranked sides in the world, apart from Swann which other spinner is doing better than Benn? Hauritz and Botha? :lol: .

WindieWeathers

International Regular
And as I said, he's hardly been giving it away in this series. Sometimes you get good balls- that's life. Sometimes you get unlucky- that's cricket. Fact is that Nash has been on of the most consistent, and consistently hardworking, batsmen for West Indies (and West Indies 'A' for that matter) over the past year.

He has more credit in the bank than Deonarine.
You say that and yet both Deonarine and Dwayne Bravo of all people have made more runs than Nash in this series!! 8-) , i'm afraid you're making excuses for the guy Mr M!!, imo he's just as responsible for this shambles as the others, you can't run down Deo but yet give Nash a pass, that's doesn't make sense to me when you consider the stats i just put forth.

I believe it's time for a fresh start, WI are like the England football team, we've got players with big reputations but at the end of the day they just aren't good enough on the big stage.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Swann
Hauritz
Shakib
Harbhajan
Kaneria
Herath

Also you keep bringing up his 4fer against England at the start of last year, why? After that test match he averaged 45.7 with the ball up until this series with South Africa.

Here, just in case you don't believe me :) Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com
Can you produce all of those players stats from the last 18 months then? as pulling names out of a hat without the stats to back it up simply doesn't cut it, and i mention the 4fer against England because that helped take apart one of the top sides in the world and in turn won us the series!!, but no doubt that won't register with you because "Benn isn't test class" apparently!! :laugh: .

akilana

International 12th Man
What "history"? one incident in Australia of which Johnson barged into him and suddenly "he's an idiot"? 8-) so he had a few words with the opposition!!. isn't that part of the game? :unsure: and you dodged the question so i'll ask it again!!.. does that give Steyn the right to spit at him? .
Wasn't he send by his own captain off the field too?

Ya he has the right to spit at him for being an idiot.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

Ya he has the right to spit at him for being an idiot.
Lets not get into character assassinations here. There's no need for that.

Regarding the current situation, don't think its fair to say that Benn deserved it because he may have made errors in the past; it's fair to reserve judgement but I don't think that there's many situations where it's excusable to spit at someone.

Last edited:

WindieWeathers

International Regular

He didn't spit on him.. I'm not sure if he meant that but I think shoulder barging is a bigger crime than just spitting.
Getting sent off because his captain threw a hissy fit doesn't mean he's an "idiot" though :unsure: , it's really sad to see people like yourself making excuses for Steyn's disgusting behaviour!!, i only hope the ICC have more empathy.

Last edited:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Lets not get into character assassinations here. There's no need for that.

Regarding the current situation, don't think its fair to say that Benn deserved it because he may have made errors in the past; it's fair to reserve judgement but I don't think that there's many situations where it's excusable to spit at someone.
Spot on Vic, Steyn's actions were simply inexcusable regardless of what Benn has or hasn't done in the past.

akilana

International 12th Man
It's also sad that you're denying the very fact that Benn has a history of provoking opposition. I have seen Steyn giving verbals.. most agressive fast bowlers do that but he doesn't go to the extend of shoulder barging the opposition player. I think ICC should investigate into what happened between the two.. like what Benn did to provoke that from Steyn etc.

Last edited:

akilana

International 12th Man
I don't want to argue here as it's a futile exercise. I know ICC would handle it better than us. A ban for both would set good example.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
It's also sad that you're denying the very fact that Benn has a history of provoking opposition. I have seen Steyn giving verbals.. most agressive fast bowlers do that but he doesn't go to the extend of shoulder barging the opposition player. I think ICC should investigate into what happened between the two.. like what Benn did to provoke that from Steyn etc.
So i gather sledging isn't allowed in your book?!!! :blink: a man gets spat at and the first thing you do is blame the victim!!, but why should i be surprised? you were singing the praises of "the bowling God" (as you described him) a few pages back so it's clear where your allegiances lie 8-) .

Proof

The bowling God's ripping through the WI's batting line up. Woud like to see Benn bat later in the day.. which maybe in an hour or two.

Last edited:

akilana

International 12th Man
So i gather sledging isn't allowed in your book?!!! :blink: a man gets spat at and the first thing you do is blame the victim!!, but why should i be surprised? you were singing the praises of "the bowling God" (as you described him) a few pages back so it's clear where your allegiances lie 8-) .

Proof
It's clear from our posts that you are a WI fan and I'm an SA fan.. I am an Asian but just support both Australia and SA.

I don't know what Benn did/said to provoke Steyn.. ICC should investigate and punish both. I won't be surprised if he said something in the first place.

kingkallis

International Coach
Still averages about 40 with a SR of over 80 in the mentioned period tbh, doesn't matter if he takes the occasional 5-fer as long as he's ****e usually.
Thats pretty unfair Teja!

Benn has bowled with some heart in last 8-10 games and all of those were against TOP 3-4 nations....give credit when its due!