• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Pakistan

shortpitched713

International Captain
Tanvir is not a batting allrounder,you can say that he's almost a genuine allrounder.I also prefer bowling allrounders but at the moment what Pakistan needs is a Sohail Tanvir type of player.Moreover,Arafat has done nothing whenever he's been given a chance.
Tbh, I doubt either of us have had much exposure to Tanvir's batting, so its really a moot point.

And as far as giving Arafat wasting chances, one can hardly call 3 consecutive ODIs against India in 05/06 as a proper run.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
The relative merits of Misbah are more of a matter of opinion, as he hasn't nearly as many ODIs as the other two. However Hameed>Younis as a ODI batsman so he should be in the side regardless of whether one believes Misbah is better than Younis or not.
Look u cant remove younis khan by someone who isnt that much experienced and has been in and out of the team all his career. If u want to blame the selectors thats a different issue, but hameed is not even near a No.3 batsman comparing younis khan at the moment IMO. If hameed is making a comeback then they cant take the risk of dropping younis khan, that would be completely insane. If you really wana bring hameed back then u have to drop guys like Nazir, Butt or hafeez (possible), but believe me pakistan wont drop Misbah or younis in the near future.

Cricket Champio

Cricket Spectator
The visitors 80-0 after 14 overs. The attack looks toothless , Iftikhar and Tanvir opened , with Gul just on as 1st change. Afridi and Malik will do plenty of bowling too.
Akmal not having such fun behind the stumps - already 20 extras !

Cricket Champio

Cricket Spectator
South AFrica going along nicely at 165-2 after 32 overs. Gibbs still there on 74 and AB , 26.
Kallis fell cheaply , caught and bowled by Afridi , but it still looks like it'll be a formidable total.

PakPowered

School Boy/Girl Captain
can't beleive at the teams of shortpitch and Haroon which has batsmen in its team like hameed, butt and Younis but no Misbah.

Misbah is a must in OD side, Younis Khan is a great test batsmen but is of little use in Onedayer, still Younis retains his place in Pak side as Pak doesn't have many quality batsmen. IN my Opinion Misbah will be the ideal batsman for 6 slot.

My team would have been,

Butt
Akmal
Younis
Yousuf
Malik
Misbah
Afridi
Tanveer
hafeez/rahman
Gul
Anjum.

QUOTE]

hafeez at 9?
Wherever he bats, he isn't going to last longer.

Would be glad if he proves me wrong today, but i don't expect much from his batting

PakPowered

School Boy/Girl Captain
The relative merits of Misbah are more of a matter of opinion, as he hasn't nearly as many ODIs as the other two. However Hameed>Younis as a ODI batsman so he should be in the side regardless of whether one believes Misbah is better than Younis or not.
Younis has been a failure in ODI and a failure in 20/20 cricket, Misbah was a big sucess in 20/20 cricket.Its possible that Misbah might not be as success in ODI as he was in 20/20 matches but one thing is for sure, Younis might play an odd good innings in limited over matches, but he will never really turn into a successful OD player.

PakPowered

School Boy/Girl Captain
Pak bowling was very poor, conceding 294 means that their basmen will have a huge task.SA will win this match with ease.

PakPowered

School Boy/Girl Captain
Tanvir is not a batting allrounder,you can say that he's almost a genuine allrounder.I also prefer bowling allrounders but at the moment what Pakistan needs is a Sohail Tanvir type of player.Moreover,Arafat has done nothing whenever he's been given a chance in the past.

On this surface, Arafat would have been pasted, would say stick with Tanvir.

PakPowered

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hafeez is legend!

commetary from cricinfo on hafeez..

sherwani: "Why do Pakistan persist with Hafeez? An average of 18 after 50 ODIs and 33 with the ball. Does Lawson not realise that this player is not meant for international cricket?"

Abbas again: "And then we have openers at 2 extremes, one who comes out with a death wish and two fingers on the trigger and one who is in a deep coma. Why do we even bother with openers, we should just start with 2 down.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Fun little cameo from Afridi notwithstanding, SA won the game comfortably. We've got some work to do boys and girls...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
SA just won a Test series, and could win a ODI series...England just won an ODI series in SL and Australia demolished India in ODI series in India.

And I thought it was supposed to be a tough place to tour. :@

haroon510

International 12th Man
commetary from cricinfo on hafeez..

sherwani: "Why do Pakistan persist with Hafeez? An average of 18 after 50 ODIs and 33 with the ball. Does Lawson not realise that this player is not meant for international cricket?"

Abbas again: "And then we have openers at 2 extremes, one who comes out with a death wish and two fingers on the trigger and one who is in a deep coma. Why do we even bother with openers, we should just start with 2 down.
hey that is what i wanted to post right now.. since u did it here i won't say anything but just hope hafeez is drop fro the next match..

is pakistani team missing Abdul razzaq here?
.. Sa team has been in control of pakistani team since the first of the first test.. i don't see this changing unless a maricale happens..

Fusion

Global Moderator
SA just won a Test series, and could win a ODI series...England just won an ODI series in SL and Australia demolished India in ODI series in India.

Personally I blame Imran Khan. If only he hadn't lobbied for those damn neutral umpires! :p

shankar

International Debutant
...and Australia demolished India in ODI series in India.

Australia have been consistently winning ODI tournaments in India for years. Even when they got thrashed in the tests on the '98 tour, they won the ODI series. Again in '01 they won the ODI's after losing the tests. They won comfortably in '03 as well. So this recent series is just following the trend.

Last edited: