• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Pakistan

PakPowered

School Boy/Girl Captain
can't beleive at the teams of shortpitch and Haroon which has batsmen in its team like hameed, butt and Younis but no Misbah.

Misbah is a must in OD side, Younis Khan is a great test batsmen but is of little use in Onedayer, still Younis retains his place in Pak side as Pak doesn't have many quality batsmen. IN my Opinion Misbah will be the ideal batsman for 6 slot.

My team would have been,

Butt
Akmal
Younis
Yousuf
Malik
Misbah
Afridi
Tanveer
hafeez/rahman
Gul
Anjum.

However the tea that is going to take the field would be.

Nazir
Hafeez
Younis
Yousuf
Malik
Misbah
Akmal
Afridi
Tanveer
Anjum
Gul.

shortpitched713

International Captain
A fit Anjum can do much better job than a half fit Asif, and i think Asif shouldn't be played in any onedayers. Anjum,Gul and S Tanvir can do a good job for Pakistan, with backup bowlers being Afridi, Malik,Hafeez and rehman
The assumption was, of course that Asif was fully fit, as was indicated by the team management might be possible.

shortpitched713

International Captain
can't beleive at the teams of shortpitch and Haroon which has batsmen in its team like hameed, butt and Younis but no Misbah.
Watching him in the Tests I found him to be quite dire. He was not unlike most of the Pakistani lineup in that respect too. Its not just his defensive technique though, he really struggles to play safe scoring strokes against top quality bowling. Am assuming he got all his runs in the 20-20 from dirty slogs, because he didn't seem the type to be able to maintain a good run rate without taking too many risks.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Misbah is a must in OD side, Younis Khan is a great test batsmen but is of little use in Onedayer, still Younis retains his place in Pak side as Pak doesn't have many quality batsmen. IN my Opinion Misbah will be the ideal batsman for 6 slot.

My team would have been,

Butt
Akmal
Younis
Yousuf
Malik
Misbah
Afridi
Tanveer
hafeez/rahman
Gul
Anjum.
Don't see any point in playing Younis at number 3 when you've got a better ODI batsman in Hameed who can play at that position. If you're going to have Misbah in the team, it should be at the expense of Younis.

shortpitched713

International Captain
However the tea that is going to take the field would be.

Nazir
Hafeez
Younis
Yousuf
Malik
Misbah
Akmal
Afridi
Tanveer
Anjum
Gul.
Don't think even the Pakistan management is stupid enough to select a team with Nazir and Hafeez opening, two guys who have done jack all with the bat at the ODI level. :laugh:

pup11

International Coach
Does Pakistan have any decent all-rounders in domestic cricket who can replace Razzaq and for that matter is Razzaq ever gonna play for Pakistan again?
I think South Africa should dominate this series without much difficulty because the Pakistani bowling attack is looking really thin atm.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Does Pakistan have any decent all-rounders in domestic cricket who can replace Razzaq and for that matter is Razzaq ever gonna play for Pakistan again?
I think South Africa should dominate this series without much difficulty because the Pakistani bowling attack is looking really thin atm.
Tanvir springs to mind.

Sohail Tanvir is the best choice we have currently.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Clearly the question would then be which one of the two is better. Imo Arafat is the better of the two as he is a much better bowling, and the quality of their batting is similar. Find it hard to fathom that they didn't pick Arafat in the squad, actually.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Don't see any point in playing Younis at number 3 when you've got a better ODI batsman in Hameed who can play at that position. If you're going to have Misbah in the team, it should be at the expense of Younis.
What the hell u on about??? They will both play tommarrow, how can u possibly think Misbah should be in the team at the expense of younis? u cant drop either.

Clearly the question would then be which one of the two is better. Imo Arafat is the better of the two as he is a much better bowling, and the quality of their batting is similar. Find it hard to fathom that they didn't pick Arafat in the squad, actually.
Quality of their batting is not similar as Tanvir averages 35 in FC cricket while Arafat has a batting average of 26 only,so there's much more difference in their batting skills than you're trying to suggest.Although Arafat's bowling is much better than that of Tanvir but Tanvir is improving & Pakistan needs a good lower order batsman wh can do slogging also in limited over formats of the game & thats what only Tanvir can do,not Arafat.

Beleg

International Regular
I don't see anybody current approaching razzaq in any way possible - as an all-rounder that is.

shortpitched713

International Captain
What the hell u on about??? They will both play tommarrow, how can u possibly think Misbah should be in the team at the expense of younis? u cant drop either.
The relative merits of Misbah are more of a matter of opinion, as he hasn't nearly as many ODIs as the other two. However Hameed>Younis as a ODI batsman so he should be in the side regardless of whether one believes Misbah is better than Younis or not.

jammay123

State 12th Man

My team would have been,

Butt
Akmal
Younis
Yousuf
Malik
Misbah
Afridi
Tanveer
hafeez/rahman
Gul
Anjum.

QUOTE]

hafeez at 9?

shortpitched713

International Captain
Quality of their batting is not similar as Tanvir averages 35 in FC cricket while Arafat has a batting average of 26 only,so there's much more difference in their batting skills than you're trying to suggest.Although Arafat's bowling is much better than that of Tanvir but Tanvir is improving & Pakistan needs a good lower order batsman wh can do slogging also in limited over formats of the game & thats what only Tanvir can do,not Arafat.
Haha, then how do you explain the fact that Arafat averages 21.6 in limited overs matches whereas Tanvir only averages 18.5. Clearly this would be the more relevant statistic, and could be used to argue that Arafat is the better batsman. However both these arguments would be facetious, as Tanvir really hasn't played enough domestic cricket in either form to make a fair judgement. Clearly they're both good at slogging though, if thats your criteria of a good ODI batsman, and I don't see what would lead one to believe that Tanvir was more capable of that than Arafat. Arafat actually has a better domestic 20-20 strike rate than Tanvir, for what its worth.

That being said, Arafat is a much better bowler, and I'd like to pick bowling allrounders for the most part on their bowling.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Thats because many people think of him as a bowler who can bat a bit,in ODIs that is.
Nah, for me that was more of a joke at the direness of his batting in ODIs, and the general gunness of Rao Iftikhar. Clearly Iftikhar's average is flattered by not outs though, and in actuality I would have Hafeez above him at 8.

That being said, Arafat is a much better bowler, and I'd like to pick bowling allrounders for the most part on their bowling.
Tanvir is not a batting allrounder,you can say that he's almost a genuine allrounder.I also prefer bowling allrounders but at the moment what Pakistan needs is a Sohail Tanvir type of player.Moreover,Arafat has done nothing whenever he's been given a chance in the past.

Last edited: