• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2017

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's pretty much exactly how I feel.
I like that he looks relatively solid in defense, dead bats & leaves the good ball, yet really smacks the loose one for 4 when it comes along. Classic old school opener, not unlike Richardson, only his defense isn't quite a good as Rigor, but his attacking game is better.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The Jeets vs Santner question is looking so irrelevant when Neesham is clearly a worse option than either guy - even if GdG is opening the bowling.

We may as well Bangladesh it when Boult is unfit.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I like that he looks relatively solid in defense, dead bats & leaves the good ball, yet really smacks the loose one for 4 when it comes along. Classic old school opener, not unlike Richardson, only his defense isn't quite a good as Rigor, but his attacking game is better.
He's got clear limitations in that he can't play many offside shots, but he knows his strengths and most importantly, doesn't seem to get fazed by the situation. Just goes about scoring runs not bothered by the fact that he's not really good enough to score runs against this attack. The anti-Latham.

Zinzan

that awkward moment when jp duminy is more threatening than jeets
Not to mention KW's bowling is too.

I'm not sure what I'm missing about Jeets tbh. He's really good at huffing, moaning & putting his heads in his hands between deliveries, but doesn't actually take wickets.

Zinzan

He's got clear limitations in that he can't play many offside shots, but he knows his strengths and most importantly, doesn't seem to get fazed by the situation. Just goes about scoring runs not bothered by the fact that he's not really good enough to score runs against this attack. The anti-Latham.
Only he clearly is good enough, otherwise he wouldn't have scored 160 runs, being dismissed twice. I agree about his limitation though, but in many ways that works to his advantage, since it keeps things relatively simple.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Not to mention KW's bowling is too.

I'm not sure what I'm missing about Jeets tbh. He's really good at huffing, moaning & putting his heads in his hands between deliveries, but doesn't actually take wickets.
he has no variation at all apart from his really easy to pick front-of-the-hand quicker ball . Bowls the same ball at 88kph from the same place on the crease ball after ball.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Only he clearly is good enough, otherwise he wouldn't have scored 160 runs, being dismissed twice. QUOTE]

That was kinda the point.

I don't put too much stock in the mental toughness thing but the dude knows how to score runs and he's done it against both Pakistan and South Africa, in not the easiest of conditions. Deserves full credit.

Zinzan

he has no variation at all apart from his really easy to pick front-of-the-hand quicker ball . Bowls the same ball at 88kph from the same place on the crease ball after ball.
Yeah, at one stage yesterday de Kock played one of his quicker arm-balls off the middle of the bat and Jeets was ooohinh and arring with his head in his hands as if it was somehow close...leaving me quite confused.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
He has one of the best arm balls in world cricket.
It doesn't contrast enough with his stock ball to be a genuine threat. He bowls every delivery in the late 80s/early 90s, so a quicker one at 95 isn't a massive adjustment. He's been bowling off-spin for over a decade and still can't vary his pace or use the crease. I don't know what else to say.

Zinzan

He has one of the best arm balls in world cricket.
Does he though? And if he does why does he average 50, & why doesn't he get Test wickets like part-timer such as Duminy and KW, let alone proper spinners like Maharaj?

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Does he though? And if he does why does he average 50, & why doesn't he get Test wickets like part-timer such as Duminy and KW, let alone proper spinners like Maharaj?
He doesn't get to bowl against our batsmen!

But I agree, he's never performed in the test side. I wouldn't have selected him.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Well for one Duminy and Maharaj are bowling at NZ...

Look, I don't think he's a world beater. But he's clearly better than a 50 average. A number of factors, including (but not limited to) where/when he has played, against whom he's played, lack of runs to bowl with, poor captaincy etc etc have conspired against his record.

We were screaming out for a guy with a Vettori-like record post Vettori retirement and Jeets definitely could have been that guy.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Well for one Duminy and Maharaj are bowling at NZ...

Look, I don't think he's a world beater. But he's clearly better than a 50 average. A number of factors, including (but not limited to) where/when he has played, against whom he's played, lack of runs to bowl with, poor captaincy etc etc have conspired against his record.

We were screaming out for a guy with a Vettori-like record post Vettori retirement and Jeets definitely could have been that guy.
i think it's agree to disagree time

Zinzan

Do you mean it's like being a wallabies supporter since forever apart from the 1990s, their only good decade?
Well yeah, I strategically said last decade since they did actually win the '99 & '07 WCs... something NZ's cricket team haven't managed.

Also Tbf on the Wallabies, they had an amazing side in '84 as well which achieved the gland-slam.