• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2017

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well for one Duminy and Maharaj are bowling at NZ...

Look, I don't think he's a world beater. But he's clearly better than a 50 average. A number of factors, including (but not limited to) where/when he has played, against whom he's played, lack of runs to bowl with, poor captaincy etc etc have conspired against his record.

We were screaming out for a guy with a Vettori-like record post Vettori retirement and Jeets definitely could have been that guy.
I'm really not trying to argue this point for the sake of it, but I just don't buy it. KW's been more effective than Jeets as well and he's a part-timer.

Jeets got to bowl in favourable conditions in India, and averaged about 50 IIRC and couldn't have wished for better home conditions in the last Test, and was incredibly ineffective considering the number of overs he bowled.

All I ever hear when it comes to Jeet's is excuses about luck, field sets, captaincy etc etc, but you can only be unlucky for so long, before you've probably got to face facts that you're just not up to it... . Forget being a world beater, I'm saying he's not up to Test standard for a spinner.

vandem

International 12th Man
So how much more would we need to make a game of it? Another 150 for a 200 run lead?
Not unless we get magic Jeets to show up on day 4. Think we need another 250+ for a 300+ run target. Game was lost when Kane went this morning.

Zinzan

Not unless we get magic Jeets to show up on day 4. Think we need another 250+ for a 300+ run target. Game was lost when Kane went this morning.
I'd say it was lost in the last half of yesterday truth be told.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Yes we can. Saffers may have a better XI when comparing player-for-player, but we are playing some dumb test cricket (selectors and caption included). Gambling on another "we don't need 3 front line seamers" again. Batting complacency against their part-time spinner in day 1 (but at least we didn't keep getting caught at mid on and mid off like against Lyon). Opening up after lunch day 2 with our worst bowler? Not giving Patel better bowling spells and fields on day 2 on his home ground. Neesh trying to hit the spinner over his head on his 5th ball.
I'm happy NZ have been competitive in the series so far, given the respective lineups (maybe it's the least one should expect given they're playing at home, but factoring in injuries and muddled selection policy). But otherwise this post is exactly how I feel about they way the side is playing.

In some ways this test rankles as much as Adelaide 2015.

Zinzan

Jeets has easily looked our best spinner by miles this summer
That's only something his mother would say. Santner was far more impressive in India, only KW decided to hardly bowl him in the last test, which is still a mystery. The only reason Jeets got this Test is they thought he had the mental edge on de Kock.... think it's fair to say de Kock overcame that this innings, which begs the question of what's Patel's value outside of that?

Incidentally.... fine innings from Raval.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You're forgetting Albi, who has stepped outside his legal zone as a bass player by having an opinion.
Having an opinion and being a dog with a bone on the issue aren't quite the same thing. Zinzan won't let a Jeets post go by, and if they haven't been any for an hour or so he'll just make one himself. :p

Zinzan

CDG needs to hav a sighter and then play his natural game... no point him pushing & prodding for too long.

A run a ball 35 would be handy-ish.