• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2017

Flem274*

123/5
*sigh* wonder what latham averages once you remove zim and bangers

since the UAE where he played yasir and co. like a king he's been steadily downhill and that was late 2014

SeamUp

International Coach
So boys, test quality openers are worth their weight in gold. Who do you guys summon from plunket for Hamilton ?

Meridio

International Regular
That ball just wasn't there to drive, and he's gone way too hard at it. Not controlling the bat at all, it's just a reflexive swing at the ball.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Oh wow. Tom Latham that is appalling.

Who is his batting coach? Chris Martin? Or Craig McMilllan?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
So boys, test quality openers are worth their weight in gold. Who do you guys summon from plunket for Hamilton ?
Latham is hand-to-heart the best opener we've had in over a decade. Dropping him might be good in the medium term but we definitely don't have anyone better. Do we have someone more likely to score runs in the next test? I don't even think we have that to be honest.

Immenso

listening on radio is so much more nervy than watching because you get the commentator excitement voice without being able to see what's happening "philander bowls to raval and HE DEFENDS IT INTO THE OFFSIDE" etc
Is that the youngish kiwi commentator?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Without Taylor & Boult, KW & Waggers are the only NZ'ders who'd make a combined NZ/SA side from these two XIs.....so from that point of view we've probably done well to even concede just a 100 run lead.

Good chance this test could finish today.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Latham is hand-to-heart the best opener we've had in over a decade. Dropping him might be good in the medium term but we definitely don't have anyone better. Do we have someone more likely to score runs in the next test? I don't even think we have that to be honest.
Ian Smith suggesting George Worker for test opener 8-) -> there are not enough rolleyes emoticons in the world for this. Clearly doesn't follow Plunket Shield at all.

If they wanted a temporary SA-special opener there's only one name to consider and that's Brownlie. Is he going to be recovered from his injury soon?

Think I'd probably just retain Latham tbh. You want him back for the next test series, whenever that might be, anyway.

Immenso

Without Taylor & Boult, KW & Waggers are the only NZ'ders who'd make a combined NZ/SA side from these two XIs.....so from that point of view we've probably done well to even concede just a 100 run lead.

Good chance this test could finish today.
Stephen Cook looks pretty ****.
Probably looks worse than he actually is, though.

But is very damning if Cook could make a combined side.

Last edited:

Zinzan

He's clearly the best opener we've had since Richardson, but sometime a bloke can be so out of sorts that giving him a spell could actually do him a bit of a favour. And yes, although any replacement will be an inferior batsman overall, they might be more likely to score runs than Tommy is in this mental space.

Incidentally, picking KW to nick out or play-on here playing at one he doesn't need to.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Ian Smith suggesting George Worker for test opener 8-) -> there are not enough rolleyes emoticons in the world for this. Clearly doesn't follow Plunket Shield at all.

If they wanted a temporary SA-special opener there's only one name to consider and that's Brownlie. Is he going to be recovered from his injury soon?

Think I'd probably just retain Latham tbh. You want him back for the next test series, whenever that might be, anyway.
Yeah Brownlie is a consideration I guess.

Meridio

International Regular
Raval looking much more assured - that drive was an excellent bit of batting - but he's missing out on a few free runs from balls that have strayed onto his pads.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Looking at the way Latham is batting I actually disagree with this. The replacements might only be good for 15-25 runs but that's more than what Latham's offering right now.

SeamUp

International Coach
I have always thought he has looked neat and has got to 31 tests deservedly especially if you look at some of the other openers you've tried over the years.

Right now his confidence looks shot. A winter with the A side could be good for him and then come back and dominate Plunket again. He has time on his side and has something to work with.

Zinzan

Raval looking much more assured - that drive was an excellent bit of batting - but he's missing out on a few free runs from balls that have strayed onto his pads.
Raval has looked like he did in his first couple of tests in this series to date - Like a proper Test opener...

It's just a shame he seems to have these lapses in concentration when he seems set.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
He's clearly the best opener we've had since Richardson, but sometime a bloke can be so out of sorts that giving him a spell could actually do him a bit of a favour. And yes, although any replacement will be an inferior batsman overall, they might be more likely to score runs than Tommy is in this mental space.

Incidentally, picking KW to nick out or play-on here playing at one he doesn't need to.
You prick.