• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2017

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Frustrating last wicket partnership.

I dont think we are out of it yet though, looks like the pitch is easy to bat on now.

Time for latham to step up. We cant expect Williamson to score a hundy every game. Nicholls has got us out of 2 poor situations this season, rest of the batsmen like neesham need to step up , or there is no place for him in the team.
I think NZ will be psychologically spent after that last hour tbh. It was always going to be an pleasant surprise if SA's lead was negligible after both sides 1st innings given the NZ are without Boult and Taylor, but the mental damage in conceding an approx 100 run lead will be too much for NZ to claw back imho. Can see us being rolled for 220 and SA cruising to the target 1 or 2 down.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Unfortunately that's quite likely imo.

Key of course will be to get through to 20 or 25 over mark with max 2 or 3 down, Williamson still in, when batting becomes easier. That will be difficult to achieve when there is something there for the new ball bowlers to exploit.

Meridio

International Regular
First thing is to wrap up the SA innings - can't afford for SA to happily slap another 30+ runs around, which unfortunately I can easily see happening.

Get them out for just under 100 lead and we're still a chance; today will probably be the best batting conditions all series for playing the SA attack. Ball will come onto the bat but won't go sideways and there won't be any spin.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Best he ever batted for South Africa was on debut. Looked a genuinely decent lower order batsman but India were not playing Bhajji, so it wasn't apparent he had no idea how to play an offie. Surprised Williamson gave up on the idea of Patel bowling to Morne so quick as there is no way he wouldn't have been bowled or LBW after a few overs.
Kane's been reading CW overnight.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Really hoping for a bit of luck and a return to form for Latham, get through to 20 and remember that he's a good player, which he is.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hope Latham finds some form in this innings, but the way he's playing at the moment, there was never much point using up a review on him.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Really hoping for a bit of luck and a return to form for Latham, get through to 20 and remember that he's a good player, which he is.
He looks a bunch of nerves, doesn't he?

His progress since debut hasn't been great. I've said it's a reflection on the batting coaches in the team; I don't know how fair that is but it's pretty well evident now that there doesn't seem to be a marked improvement from batsmen as they've been in the team for a while. In fact, if we look at the likes of Nicholls and even the Neeshams on debut...dunno the fresh players seem to be making more runs.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
He looks frankly awful atm. That bat sliding around from gully is uncomfortably similar to Guptill's forward defence.

Poor from Morkel so far. Needs to get it fuller.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
listening on radio is so much more nervy than watching because you get the commentator excitement voice without being able to see what's happening "philander bowls to raval and HE DEFENDS IT INTO THE OFFSIDE" etc

Flem274*

123/5

His progress since debut hasn't been great. I've said it's a reflection on the batting coaches in the team; I don't know how fair that is but it's pretty well evident now that there doesn't seem to be a marked improvement from batsmen as they've been in the team for a while. In fact, if we look at the likes of Nicholls and even the Neeshams on debut...dunno the fresh players seem to be making more runs.
macka helped out mccullum a lot but so far he's backed the taylor technique fiddles and new players have declined since entering the team

mcmillan was never shy about coming up with a novel batting technique but it's not really translating to his coaching career well atm

straw man

Hall of Fame Member

Well I suppose you'd say Nicholls just scored his first century so that could be a point in favour of the coaching, though McMillan is the coach so meh ,I think we're all a little justifiably sceptical of that.

Also tbf, Latham's always looked sketchy on off and just outside against quality fast bowling, which is entirely understandable. It hasn't improved though, no. As we know, is quite accomplished (for an NZer) against spin, and is fine against slightly lesser quick bowling.

He looks frankly awful atm. That bat sliding around from gully is uncomfortably similar to Guptill's forward defence.
Yeah him playing across himself is quite pronounced here.

.... and there he goes.