• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2017

WindieWeathers

International Regular
This is why SA are one of the very top teams. NZ had them in all sorts of trouble but you just knew Bavuma and De Kock would step up. Now all of a sudden they have a decent lead and the NZ players are looking a little dejected. The pitch doesn't look that bad still but NZ will have to be mentally strong when they come out and bat in the second innings because no doubt SA will come out all guns blazing and will be packed full of confidence.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Unexpected 80 run lead... Morkel channeling his inner Haydos! Would like to get 100+ run lead tomorrow, probably a little greedy.

Bavuma/QDK saving partnerships cannot continue forever; need to sort the top order out. With Cook, Duminy and Amla being out of form and/or inconsistent is just getting silly now and putting SA in trouble much to often.

Bahseph

State Captain
I never understood how Morkel regressed so badly with the bat. He was view as a potential Test match no8 for a while. Nice to see him contribute

SeamUp

International Coach
I never understood how Morkel regressed so badly with the bat. He was view as a potential Test match no8 for a while. Nice to see him contribute
I bet you he is still reminding people he opened at the SCG once and reminds of Haydos in his pomp.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Best he ever batted for South Africa was on debut. Looked a genuinely decent lower order batsman but India were not playing Bhajji, so it wasn't apparent he had no idea how to play an offie. Surprised Williamson gave up on the idea of Patel bowling to Morne so quick as there is no way he wouldn't have been bowled or LBW after a few overs.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Best he ever batted for South Africa was on debut. Looked a genuinely decent lower order batsman but India were not playing Bhajji, so it wasn't apparent he had no idea how to play an offie. Surprised Williamson gave up on the idea of Patel bowling to Morne so quick as there is no way he wouldn't have been bowled or LBW after a few overs.
Yeah Patel didn't bowl very well today but the captaincy surrounding his bowling was actually much worse than the bowling itself.

SeamUp

International Coach
Ssssh he has been out the game so long I thought some forgot. *Cough* Kane

I remember that innings. He certainly did look good. There was a time he just couldn't play off-spin at all and was a walking wicket but he also spent quite a bit of time at the crease against Bhaji at Eden Gardens if I remember correctly.

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah Patel didn't bowl very well today but the captaincy surrounding his bowling was actually much worse than the bowling itself.
QdK was looking to attack him but surely that brought risk ? Odd that he didn't bowl him earlier in the 2nd session.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I bet you he is still reminding people he opened at the SCG once and reminds of Haydos in his pomp.
That 2008/09 series in Oz was pretty freakish by South Africa's tailend bats.

Steyn & Morkel both got their highest scores, while Paul Harris and Ntini got their 2nd highest Test scores with Ntini playing comfortably his longest ever innings (on a 5th day pitch with significant cracks in it.)

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
That 2008/09 series in Oz was pretty freakish by South Africa's tailend bats.

Steyn & Morkel both got their highest scores, while Paul Harris and Ntini got their 2nd highest Test scores with Ntini playing comfortably his longest ever innings (on a 5th day pitch with significant cracks in it.)
Remember it well. Just before that there was question marks about how early our tail started considering our history of batting deep. They were asked to step up by Smith and Arthur.

If I am not mistaken I think Siddle & Krejzca also put up stubborn resistance in that series.

SeamUp

International Coach
#StatAttack

Temba Bavuma and Quinton de Kock average 63 batting together (10 innings) with 2x50 and 2x100 run partnerships

veganbob

U19 Captain
Frustrating last wicket partnership.

I dont think we are out of it yet though, looks like the pitch is easy to bat on now.

Time for latham to step up. We cant expect Williamson to score a hundy every game. Nicholls has got us out of 2 poor situations this season, rest of the batsmen like neesham need to step up , or there is no place for him in the team.