• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
But a batsman who likes to come onto the front-foot would of negiotated that delivery, the fact that Vaughan didn't come forward as Kev said makes it look like an unplayable delivery.
Playing the correct line after the ball has bowled him makes the ball look better too. It irritates me when batsmen do that, as if the ball just went through their body.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But a batsman who likes to come onto the front-foot would of negiotated that delivery, the fact that Vaughan didn't come forward as Kev said makes it look like an unplayable delivery.
You can come as far forward as you want; you still won't hit that sort of ball without playing an extremely poor stroke.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
BTW didn't quite realise how small Steyn is, must be what 5'8/5'9 at most and has prbably made his success even more remarkable.
6ft according to this - probably looks comparitively small considering he is skinny and surrounded by quite a tall team.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Playing the correct line after the ball has bowled him makes the ball look better too. It irritates me when batsmen do that, as if the ball just went through their body.
Having batted a couple of times in my life, and been bowled once or twice, I can say that it's not necessarily a conscious thing. Just a realization of the mistake and an unconscious adjustment. It's not like they're trying to fool your or anyone.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
So why did Smith take Steyn off with 2 new batsmen at the wicket?

EDIT - forget it, he's back on at the other end now

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Having batted a couple of times in my life, and been bowled once or twice, I can say that it's not necessarily a conscious thing. Just a realization of the mistake and an unconscious adjustment. It's not like they're trying to fool your or anyone.
Ye, I get irritated pretty irrationally, itbt.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Man Cook is by far my favourite English batsmen, gutted he got out at a time when England needed him to stay in.

Vaughan is so meh, haven't rated him for years.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did take wickets in Bangladesh (don't start, they're not infants) with a bouncer as his main weapon though.
I didn't see the Bangladesh series. But any half decent fast bowler can get a sharp bouncer up regardless of height. Last time I checked Fidel Edwards isn't a giant. The fact remains that Steyn has been such a potent force because of swing and genuine pace, ahead of anything else.

PS - You don't have to be an infant or even less-than-Test-class to be incapable of playing short-pitched bowling.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Looking at the Cook wicket again, the ball actually didn't really bounce much more, he just played it poorly. Should be looking to drop the hands, not play, that sort of ball, and he tried to play it. Got himself in a complete mess.

That Pietersen strike could have been quite nasty too, fortunately just hit the helmet.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I didn't see the Bangladesh series. But any half decent fast bowler can get a sharp bouncer up regardless of height. Last time I checked Fidel Edwards isn't a giant. The fact remains that Steyn has been such a potent force because of swing and genuine pace, ahead of anything else.

PS - You don't have to be an infant or even less-than-Test-class to be incapable of playing short-pitched bowling.
But it is impressive nonetheless to have a short bowler use the bouncer so effectively.