• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
No-one in NSW ever rated him either. Just last week I was talking to a bunch of grade cricketers who were convinced Matt "still not even played FC cricket" Day is a better cricketer.
No one ever does, but he just keeps on taking wickets. You never feel that uncomfortable against him, but his record speaks for itself, over a fair while now.

I heard he was playing last night, few of his mates flew over. I can see the logic behind it, he can do the job into the breeze at the WACA. I wouldn't be surprised if he joins his best mate McKay as a one Test wonder, but I think it's an understandable one-off choice.

Spark

Global Moderator
Its so good if a nightwatchman actually survives a good deal of overs. Good bowling with the new ball is basically wasted.
Lyon's sort of the perfect nightwatchman. #11 bat but with a really good defensive technique and really good ticker.

sonnench

U19 12th Man
Lyon deserves a medal for surviving that, especially that last over.

Good day, pretty even in my opinion. Gonna miss first session tomorrow because I got a game, dammit.....

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
lights go out, walls come a tumbling dowwwwwnnnn...

Nothing like reprising a mid-1980s school disco.

Justo

U19 Debutant
Good stuff. Things are pretty even although Clarke and Hussey are still to come.

As well as Lyon has batted I never understood why teams always choose the absolute worst batsmen in the team as night watchman. Would have thought it'd be better to bring up Johnson who might be able to make a quick fire 50 if he survives. England promoted Anderson in a recent test match which left Swann as the last batsmen. Would have been better off promoting Swann imo.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Damn, missed the entire days play. Du Plessis WAG.

Hope Lyon bats out a bit tomorrow, don't wanna miss seeing Ricky bat.

Spark

Global Moderator
Good stuff. Things are pretty even although Clarke and Hussey are still to come.

As well as Lyon has batted I never understood why teams always choose the absolute worst batsmen in the team as night watchman. Would have thought it'd be better to bring up Johnson who might be able to make a quick fire 50 if he survives. England promoted Anderson in a recent test match which left Swann as the last batsmen. Would have been better off promoting Swann imo.
Nah, you want the batsman with a good defensive technique but one without many shots. Swann's natural game is to basically slog, which would be no good in the situation a nightwatchman calls for. But the idea is that the more limited the batsman, the harder it is to get them out if they really dig in (assuming they have a good defensive technique).

Siddle is our usual nightwatchman, for example, but he bats #8 nowadays.

Ruckus

International Captain
What did people think of Hastings today? Had periods where he bowled very well, but overall he just didn't look like he had enough about him... Bit disappointed by his pace too...thought he had at least that over the other candidates he probably shouldn't have jumped in the queue. He didn't do a bad job by any means, but he looks like more of a reserve bowler to me.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Great moment there with the crowd thinking Lyon was Ponting. I remember standing up to boo the living **** out of Mike Brearley at the SCG in a one dayer just after his appalling behaviour in the aluminium bat fiasco, only to discover it was David Bairstow.
They were practically twins, tbf.

Yeah; it's like what people on this forum used to say about Hauritz, except this time it's actually true.
I think it's because both look a little <tries to think of suitably polite euphemism for gay> un-Australian.

Anyway, I'm round my poor Sky-less mother's so haven't seen today's play yet and just read through the thread without knowing the score. Surprisingly gripping stuff, tbf to you all. Few too many NSWelshmen, if one were being picky, but kudos CW.

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
You never watched him bowl before Ruckus?

Prince and Vic explained it well above. Never looks all that threatening, however he bowls long spells of pitching the ball in the right areas to take wickets. Keeps things very simple.

I don't believe he will forge much of a Test career. As a support bowler for Starc and Johnson he makes a good selection.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Watson's wicket makes me sigh every time. Did a little but not a lot and a top order bat really should be covering balls like that in his sleep.
And that's why he'll never be one of those blokes averaging around 50. It's like he took the advice you get as a junior to get forward and the umpire won't give you out just a bit too far.

Last edited: