• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Semis and Final Thread

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's ****e like this that makes me want to go on Twatter and rip their ****ing stupid argument to shreds.

@selvecricket
Today's match is where the narrative of 50 over cricket can beat T20. Lose early wickets like that and no chance of rebuilding. Game over.
Retweeted by jim maxwell

Jim Maxwell who later tweets this:

the game's a lottery, no ground can curb gayle/windies hitting. 14 sixes the difference. time for more meaningful red balling

So it's a lottery, it's random. Except you can't have a crappy start and great finish, or vice versa. So it's predictable then? What is it?

I mean apart from the fact that you often see teams chase down the 50 over equivalent of 206 after being 43-6, obviously. And of course those games never drag on and on and on. Just like Pakistan didn't chase 10+ an over from 7 down against South Africa a week ago. And NZ didn't have two topsy turvy games that went down to a Super Over.

Numpties. Can't wait to not hear that Aussie imbecile on TMS.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Night-watchman duties aside, I wonder how often Cummins has come out to bat in the 8th over. Can see Aus getting bowled out in 12 overs or so, now. Good to see Gayle back on the field as well, to savour the moment perhaps, even if not really fit?
Cummins was a middle order batsman in youth district cricket (which he's probably still played more of than anything else at this point of his career!) so it's probably happened more than you think.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's ****e like this that makes me want to go on Twatter and rip their ****ing stupid argument to shreds.

@selvecricket
Today's match is where the narrative of 50 over cricket can beat T20. Lose early wickets like that and no chance of rebuilding. Game over.
Retweeted by jim maxwell

Jim Maxwell who later tweets this:

the game's a lottery, no ground can curb gayle/windies hitting. 14 sixes the difference. time for more meaningful red balling

So it's a lottery, it's random. Except you can't have a crappy start and great finish, or vice versa. So it's predictable then? What is it?

I mean apart from the fact that you often see teams chase down the 50 over equivalent of 206 after being 43-6, obviously. And of course those games never drag on and on and on. Just like Pakistan didn't chase 10+ an over from 7 down against South Africa a week ago. And NZ didn't have two topsy turvy games that went down to a Super Over.

Numpties. Can't wait to not hear that Aussie imbecile on TMS.
top rant

pup11

International Coach
As an Australian fan can't really complain about how our campaign panned out, our inability to play spin was pretty brutally exposed in our last two games and we were lucky that more teams didn't bombard us with an all out spin attack earlier in the tournament, otherwise it could have been all over for us a lot earlier in the tournament.

Hopefully Bailey won't be made a scapegoat for this because that's the easiest thing to do and that is the sort of thing that has been going on in Australian cricket for sometime and all it has done is divert attention from the real problems.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The same idiot retweeted the first one. Media people who just brainlessly parrot myths like that should be taken out and shot.

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach
the 50 over equivalent of 206 after being 43-6
you see so much ridiculous scoring and sometimes even (6/8 off 4) bowling because it's so short, which is what makes it a lottery. The shortness means more players are less involved in the game and a weaker team has a better chance of beating a stronger.

But you never see anybody praising a run a ball ton in ODI's as being the "equivalent" of scoring a ton at any rate in a test. It's completely different.

Spark

Global Moderator
The thing about attacking cricket that excites me in general is that it plays to the whole risk vs. reward thing - high risk, high reward. That's what makes it entertaining. But when you have to strike at 120 simply to be doing your job, that equation is so horribly skewed that it just loses all meaning for me. I can't appreciate someone hitting three sixes in a row as an amazing application of skill in T20s, I just see someone hitting three sixes in a row. Frankly, I find the vast majority of T20s boring as bat**** nowadays. Like, they're good for two hours of mindless entertainment but then they just vanish from my memory.

Someone hit 70 off 40. Whoop-de-****ing-do. And the simple fact that I would react like that to someone hitting 70 off 40 is the reason that I simply can't take T20s seriously.

Though I didn't expect half our team to share my opinion, granted.

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
The thing about attacking cricket that excites me in general is that it plays to the whole risk vs. reward thing - high risk, high reward. That's what makes it entertaining. But when you have to strike at 120 simply to be doing your job, that equation is so horribly skewed that it just loses all meaning for me. I can't appreciate someone hitting three sixes in a row as an amazing application of skill in T20s, I just see someone hitting three sixes in a row. Frankly, I find the vast majority of T20s boring as bat**** nowadays. Like, they're good for two hours of mindless entertainment but then they just vanish from my memory.

Someone hit 70 off 40. Whoop-de-****ing-do. And the simple fact that I would react like that to someone hitting 70 off 40 is the reason that I simply can't take T20s seriously.
My feelings exactly.
The other aspect of T20 that annoys me is all the bad batting habits bought on by the need to score quickly then start to creep into Test batting.