• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Semi Final 1 - Sri Lanka vs New Zealand

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
great post KN - exactly what we needed to read.

I do think that loss against SL in the group round is playing on the players minds. Per one of the earlier posts. We need the mother of all team talks to be given to us by John Wright to counteract it.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Wonderful posts lads - who else is watching James, Strawman, Ed, Mike, Howsie, KN?
Given it starts at 10pm here I'll be trying my best to watch as much as possible before I fall asleep - bit easier on the weekend to stay up through the early hours than a weeknight though.

I give us about as much chance as I did when we faced SA - which was that if we reach a total around or just above par batting first, then we're a reasonable chance with a quality display in the field and our bowlers stepping up to class batsmen. If we bowl first I think it'd take an even greater effort to manage a victory, so the toss is crucial IMO. Also, I'd play Woodcock - I think Dilshan and co. would be more comfortable playing the pace of Tuffey/McKay up front than they would with a spinner opening or bowling in the powerplay and Woodcock then bowling through the middle stages.

Teja.

Global Moderator
****ing Cricinfo. What a dire dire headline. Such a useful resource on cricket but can be ****ing annoying at times. Feel like punching the guy who thought of the headline above his nose tbh.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
don't like the cricinfo headline also...
Mismatch unless NZ can raise game

FFS its a semi final match.....
Rather patronising headline that - I guess its fair to say Cricinfo have banked on a Sri Lankan win! Theres no doubt they're strong favourites but I think NZ's shown enough, at least in their last match and the victory over Pakistan, to avoid having headlines about that written about them.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
who else is watching James, Strawman, Ed, Mike, Howsie, KN?
I'll be watching, but not until I get home from work at 11:30 or so. I'm hoping for a sensationally brilliant first hour and a half by NZ that I'll forever regret not being able to see.

Just spent my dinner break walking around the CBD in my NZ ODI shirt and listening to Poi E. As you do.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
Got two hours of law at 8 tomorrow morning, and have lectures for most of the day so I'll only be staying up until 12 or so :(

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Of course, I'm pulling an all-nighter again.
Wouldn't miss this for the world.

Complain to cricinfo?
Nah, they've always been bollocks and they always will be, with their joke articles and their YouTube like comments sections.
The only thing useful is their stats database.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I am wondering if a half-fit Murali will be more dangerous than another fully-fit spinner. I think if they wheeled Murali up to the crease he could still take 4/30 since mentally he ****s all over us.
Judging from Saturday against another team he has a mental hold over I'd say not.

If he plays then I actually think it's a big benefit to NZ.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Of course, I'm pulling an all-nighter again.
Wouldn't miss this for the world.
Yeah, I'm thinking along the same lines. I'm tired as **** and have a meeting with my thesis supervisor at 11am, but it'll be worth it.

I'll never forgive myself if I go to bed and miss something amazing. I was considering going to bed with SA were about 90-2 in the quarter. Very glad that I didn't.

NZ Guy

U19 Captain
Looking at an all nighter with a nice little two hour architectural history lecture at 8am and studio in the afternoon, all this after I was sleep deprived enough to fall asleep on the 3am bus on Saturday night/sunday morning and wake up in Wainui (my destination was Petone :/ )

James

Cricket Web Owner
Starts at 8pm and finishes at 4am here. I have to be in at work at 9am. An all-nighter seems out of the question for me :(

The final is on a Saturday though so here's hoping we get there! One step at a time though :)

99*

International Debutant
Like the rest, pulling an all-nighter. Not missing this for anything.

Also have supplies of rum and coke if the unthinkable should occur.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'll be watching the first half, but work dictates that I go to bed for the second. That is if I'm able to sleep, and if things look good at half time, there's a very real chance I won't be.

JBH001

International Regular
I won't be watching any of it. I'm recovering from 3 days with the flu and want an early night before heading back to work tomorrow. I may record it on MySky though but we'll see how it goes. I will be going for Sri Lanka in this game, but would have no complaints should NZ defeat them and go on to the finals.

As I've said before, I think the threat of Murali on his current form is over-rated. As Marc noted earlier in the thread, it would be to the benefit of NZ should a half-fit Murali play rather than Randiv or Kula or Fernando. From a SL perspective, I hope Murali sits this one out and aim to be fit enough for the final (should SL make it, of course).

Mike5181

International Captain
haha typical New Zealander's stocking up on alcohol before a cricket match. Might see if i can find me some. Anyone going to watch 'the cricket show?' Mark Richardson's inconsistent opinion, Craig McMillan's....whatever he has and the blonde with a face.