• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I see Smith's mother had to leave Lord's early as she was being abused by the crowd, while an 11 year old son of one of the team staff members also copped it and had to be consoled by the players after the game.

Smith's 100th test coming up and his mother has just copped abuse from England fans. They're trying to get him to score 500 at Leeds, aren't they?

Spark

Global Moderator
I see Smith's mother had to leave Lord's early as she was being abused by the crowd, while an 11 year old son of one of the team staff members also copped it and had to be consoled by the players after the game.

Smith's 100th test coming up and his mother has just copped abuse from England fans. They're trying to get him to score 500 at Leeds, aren't they?
Spirit of the game.

Daemon

Really pathetic. Stuff like this needs to be stamped out so we don’t head towards the way of football crowds that are probably the most high density low IQ masses you’ll ever see outside of republican rallies in the US.

Shri

Mr. Glass
A lengthy debate ensued when Indian cricketer Deepti Sharma ran out England’s Charlotte Dean through Mankading, and the “Spirit of Cricket” was questioned. Speaking about the same incident, Australian cricketer Ellyse Perry took a dig at England and gave a hilarious response.
I think the overall gist is no good, don’t do it, but if you’re going to do it, do it to England.
Ellyse Perry
😍

SillyCowCorner1

If this was Bangladesh v West Indies, this **** would have never gotten this stretched out.

Live and let live, you fools. You guys wrote the laws. Sweet irony that it happened at Lord's

Julian87

State Captain
It’s no coincidence that Australia thrive in sports that either nobody cares about or that are easy to cheat in

Swimming - Whole country is on the coast, and they’re renowned for their state mandated PED usage
Aussie Rules - A pretend game played by morons
Rugby League - basically only popular in England in places that don’t have a football team, much like Aussie Rules another one nobody cares about that they put all their efforts into
Cricket - probably the fourth best test nation/collective ever after West Indies, England and India but this has been achieved through ball tampering, racist umpires no-balling opposition bowlers for the hell of it, violent conduct and abuse, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg

Real sports like Football, Athletics and Formula One, what do they offer? They’re still dining out on Cathy Freeman ffs. Get over it and move on losers!

Tennis obviously isn't a real enough sport to mention.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
A lengthy debate ensued when Indian cricketer Deepti Sharma ran out England’s Charlotte Dean through Mankading, and the “Spirit of Cricket” was questioned. Speaking about the same incident, Australian cricketer Ellyse Perry took a dig at England and gave a hilarious response.

😍
She is completely wrong though. Should do it everytime to everyone.

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
Those of us of a certain age will remember the Trevor Chappell underarm delivery - legal but widely condemned.
Around your way perhaps. Around these parts you will struggle to find anyone who doesn't remember it fondly. You might get the occasional fan who takes sport too seriously, but even amongst the prudes it still brings a chuckle usually. :D

I thought it was a work of genius. Not because of any effect it might have had on the match, Aus were always going to win. But because it turned a mundane regulation type of delivery to win the match into an even more mundane one that seemed to break many kiwi cricket fans hearts with it (always commendable).

It took the tiniest sliver of hope the kiwis had (it's the hopium that gets ya lol) that a last ball miracle could tie the scores, and crushed even that. :laugh: All within the rules to boot.

It has been said that the humour might have been far less apparent had the Aussies been on the receiving end. To which I can only reply...possibly...but the fact that they weren't seems to be the whole point. :D

It was a great shame that the bowlers career was ruined over it though.

the big bambino

International Captain
But sometimes things happen that may be within the rules but not the spirit.

Those of us of a certain age will remember the Trevor Chappell underarm delivery - legal but widely condemned.

What Carey did today wasn't at that kind of level but just because something is legal doesn't make it right or OK to do.
Since you're making a comparison. If NZ had underarmed a delivery in the same match their outrage over Chappell would have been about as convincing as England's over Carey after Bairstow tried the same dismissal against Marnus.

The under arm delivery was unique whereas keepers trying to run out/stump inattentive batsmen is fairly common.

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
I can only assume that Ashes emotion has taken over. Ever since I first started playing it was accepted by all that you don't ground the ball during a catch, and you stayed in your crease until sure that the ball was no longer in play.

It's difficult to believe a professional cricketer like Starc wouldn't have known the rules re a fair catch. Then again I remember Ponting claiming an obviously grounded catch in the monkey gate series. To make it more embarrassing he got up and raised the finger as if to give it out himself, all with a straight face lol. Was never sure what to think about that (have no doubt what the Indians thought about it though).

As to Bairstow, he just overlooked one of the most basic fundamentals of the game that club players would be disappointed with. Should give himself a swift uppercut and move on.