• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I just think the "trying to gain an advantage" line is a completely non sequitur tbh. I just don't think it's relevant at all.
Prior wasn't trying to gain an advantage in the video I posted above either. Total brain fade at best.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bairstow walked out of his crease before the ball had even reached the keeper. It was dumb but it was a textbook stumping.
Calling the Bairstow stumping “textbook” is ridiculous. Also the claim that Bairstow left the crease before it even reached the keeper is false.

As a well known biased (and now proven lying) Australian fan your opinion on this debate shall not be considered.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Prior wasn't trying to gain an advantage in the video I posted above either. Total brain fade at best.
No, but he was in the throes of playing a shot and (I guess) thinking the ball may have beaten the keeper. He wasn't wandering up the pitch to chat to the non-striker, or for a spot of gardening.

Spark

Global Moderator
I seem to remember there being a stumping in a WI vs India Test, think it was VVS Laxman. He'd basically left the ball without incident, backed away from his stumps, lifted his foot ever so slightly and was stumped.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I mean the reason it feels weird is because he hardly ever see it. The novelty is what makes it so odd. I personally don't love it either but I don't see how you can remove it from the game.

I certainly don't like the English media trying to bully Cummins into saying he should have withdrawn the appeal. They can do one.
I think bullying is OTT.

They had to ask that question that's their job and if Stokes had done the same they would have asked him the se question.

I remember a one day match v NZ a few years back when near the end of the match, Ryan Sidebottom collided with NZ batsman who was going for a quick single. England ran the batsmen out.

It was within the rules but not the spirit of the game. Collingwood was our captain and was given alot of stick by our media for not withdrawing the appeal.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think bullying is OTT.

They had to ask that question that's their job and if Stokes had done the same they would have asked him the se question.

I remember a one day match v NZ a few years back when near the end of the match, Ryan Sidebottom collided with NZ batsman who was going for a quick single. England ran the batsmen out.

It was within the rules but not the spirit of the game. Collingwood was our captain and was given alot of stick by our media for not withdrawing the appeal.
Not referring to Sky and TMS here

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
No, but he was in the throes of playing a shot and (I guess) thinking the ball may have beaten the keeper. He wasn't wandering up the pitch to chat to the non-striker, or for a spot of gardening.
He literally looked back and saw the keeper caught it…

Spark

Global Moderator
I seem to remember there being a stumping in a WI vs India Test, think it was VVS Laxman. He'd basically left the ball without incident, backed away from his stumps, lifted his foot ever so slightly and was stumped.
Found it

VVS Laxman
st †Baugh b Chanderpaul
59.3 VVS has managed to get stumped after leaving a wide delivery, fancy that for a freakish dismissal, he had just ambled back after leaving the ball and the back foot was in the air for just an instant, just an instant, and that was enough for an alert Baugh to whip off the bails, Laxman looked surprised when West Indies appealed and even more so when the third umpire ruled him out, Chanders is mobbed by his team-mates, he is grinning broadly, 9th wicket in 133 Tests, he'll take it 172/5

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I think bullying is OTT.

This is a great example.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think bullying is OTT.

I actually strongly feel the law should be rewritten so those are not out ftr

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I was trying to find that one and found the Prior one instead.

Stumpings are weird - sometimes they're classical and sometimes they're a bit hacky.

I'd never call the Bairstow one textbook and I think it's slightly different even to the ones we see in park cricket when batsmen forget they're standing out of their crease with the keeper still reasonably close because it was the end of the over and he didn't just 'not get back', he actually went for a walk ... but it's still clearly a stumping IMO, and I don't think anyone should be expected to withdraw an appeal given Bairstow was out of his crease when Carey actually received the ball and he never even turned around to look at him.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Found it

VVS Laxman
st †Baugh b Chanderpaul
59.3 VVS has managed to get stumped after leaving a wide delivery, fancy that for a freakish dismissal, he had just ambled back after leaving the ball and the back foot was in the air for just an instant, just an instant, and that was enough for an alert Baugh to whip off the bails, Laxman looked surprised when West Indies appealed and even more so when the third umpire ruled him out, Chanders is mobbed by his team-mates, he is grinning broadly, 9th wicket in 133 Tests, he'll take it 172/5

That's well found but not comparable. Bairstow only left his ground because he thought the ball was dead. Not though a brain fade or because he over balanced.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
It depends on your view - if you think any action which is in the rules of the game is OK then fair enough.

But sometimes things happen that may be within the rules but not the spirit.

Those of us of a certain age will remember the Trevor Chappell underarm delivery - legal but widely condemned.

We've talked alot on here about the ODI WC final when the ball hit Stokes and went for 4 overthrows. If it had stopped short of the boundary, by the law you can still run but players don't. If the ball had stopped on the boundary edge, Stokes could have run under the laws of the game- would that have been OK?

What Carey did today wasn't at that kind of level but just because something is legal doesn't make it right or OK to do.

Spark

Global Moderator
That's well found but not comparable. Bairstow only left his ground because he thought the ball was dead. Not though a brain fade or because he over balanced.
Nah I remember watching that dismissal live, he definitely thought that ball was dead. There was like a few seconds delay between the ball being taken and the bails coming off.