• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Trent Bridge

Spark

Global Moderator
steyn did it against an IN-FORM NO.1 ranked aussie side!!!
In form? Did you see Hayden and Hussey that summer? Not to mention the lack of anything useful from #6.

The difference between the actual quality of bowling between Anderson and Steyn down here is not very large.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
In favour of the super-tail tbh. Pretty confident Bres would do better than Finn bowling anyway and he is in good form.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Go argue with StatsGuru. You won't find any visiting quicks who took as many Australian wickets as cheaply as Anderson did. Steyn included.
Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Many averaged less.
As many is a moot point because except for Bishop who did better than Anderson (in the same series as Ambrose) others did not play 5 matches.

Gough took 20 in 3 @ 21.25 in 1994/95 compared to Anderson taking 24 in 5 @ 26.04

Steyn took 18 in 3 @ 26.16 with a better strike rate by 10.

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
In form? Did you see Hayden and Hussey that summer? Not to mention the lack of anything useful from #6.

The difference between the actual quality of bowling between Anderson and Steyn down here is not very large.
i can't recall anderson swinging the ball much in aus. plus he obviously wasn't that quick either. (comparing him to steyn) .
so quality goes to steyn.

hussey had done well in the previous series.. ponting was doing reasonably well. clarke was awesome around that time.
Hayden was out of form though.

aus were clearly the favourites going into the series. if duminy hadn't produced a gem in the 2nd test, aus would not have lost a home series for the first time in a decade.

hazsa19

International Regular
i can't recall anderson swinging the ball much in aus. plus he obviously wasn't that quick either. (comparing him to steyn) .

hussey had done well in the previous series.. ponting was doing reasonably well. clarke was awesome around that time.

aus were clearly the favourites going into the series. if duminy hadn't produced a gem in the 2nd test, aus would not have lost a home series for the first time in a decade.
it only needs to swing an inch to take an edge. Anderson vs Clarke 2nd dig at Sydney was almost taking the piss.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Many averaged less.
As many is a moot point because except for Bishop who did better than Anderson (in the same series as Ambrose) others did not play 5 matches.

Gough took 20 in 3 @ 21.25 in 1994/95 compared to Anderson taking 24 in 5 @ 26.04

Steyn took 18 in 3 @ 26.16 with a better strike rate by 10.
english fans have a tendency to go over the top with their players' success.

statistically tremlett did better than him too. 17 wickets in just 3 games... at 23

steyn's strike rate was 43 (has career strike of 40). another reason why he's easily the best bowler around. won't find a more destructive bowler than him in history of cricket. (a bowler with a better sr)

Spark

Global Moderator
He swung the ball at times, but that was the thing - he didn't need to swing it around corners to take wickets. That's what made it such an impressive performance. He could choke batsmen, he could nip them out with swing and his spell of reverse at Sydney was the best (reverse) I've seen on these shores in a very long time. He was absolutely outstanding. As was Steyn, but he was guilty of wasting the new ball at times by bowling too wide to the lefties. Speed does not automatically make one better

Hussey wouldn't have been able to tell you what suburb his off stump was around that time, he was that out of it.

And maybe if Clarke had not fallen to KP three balls before the close on Day 4 Adelaide and gone on to play the match saving ton he was on the way to doing (IMO), then the series might have run on a very different course. Completely irrelevant, however, as that's how it panned out.

The stats Cevno posted are very indicative - the difference between the averages is negligible. Not too dissimilar to the quality in their bowling performances as they were, tbh.

Anyway this is way off track.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Atleast with Yuvraj coming into the team even if can't we expect many runs from him, we have KP sorted:p

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Is Sachin fit to play? I think so.

Is Gambhir fit to play? I guess so.

Is Tremlett fit to play? I guess there's more than 50% chance of playing as of now.

Is Zaheer fit to play? I guess there's less than 50% chance of playing as of now.

Guys, correct me if my answers seem wrong atm.

Any recent updates on the fitness of these 4 players/any new casualties?

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Is Sachin fit to play? yes
Is Gambhir fit to play? should be

Is Tremlett fit to play? won't play

Is Zaheer fit to play? won't play

Guys, correct me if my answers seem wrong atm.

Any recent updates on the fitness of these 4 players/any new casualties?
fixed